Hard Candy Photoshoot : What were they thinking??!!?

Starman

As we know the Hardy Candy (Give it to me) photoshoot got a huge makeover from the outtakes to the candy style on the CD cover

Not surprising since the photoshoot is a MESS , awful ideas, no fittings and bad lighting and she looks bored during most of the shots

The only reason i can think of it is that maybe the original idea was to present very raw madonna which they did thousands time better with tom munro for DAD 2008

lets analyse:

starting with the giant band aid session

madonna.jpg

Who the hell had the idea too wrap madonna in a giant bad aid wearing those awful white painties that deformed her body

she doesnt seem much happy to be there

They really managed to have the most awful lighting ever

I do like the sets but they styling is totally off

madonna-outtakes-35-750x1005-1.jpg

outtake2.gif

Again not even the helmet is her size ,

madonna-hardcandy-stevenklein-outtakes-7

awful poses

madonna-outake-outubro-2012-8.jpg

This is very pre-rebelheart though

madonna-outtake.jpg

The snow queen set could have been something nice but the awful ligthting and poses ruins it

Hard-Candy-Album-photo-shoot-2008-40-pho

the cover is nice pose but lighting is awful again

39.jpg

The dazed and confused set is probably the best, she looks hot without any retouch

Anyway , what else are your thoughts on it?

I've always thought that she should've gotten Terry Richardson to do this shoot. His harsh lighting and style would've better suited the mood they were going for, and we would've gotten more dynamic shots. Steven Klein lacks that humour needed for this shoot to work.

Chloe-Sevigny-by-Terry-Richardson-for-Ou

This was when the album was going to be called 'Give It 2 Me' with a boxing theme. They switched tracks after the shoot and it was retrofitted with the candy theme.

She looks bored and menopausal in this shoot... the worst Klein/Madonna photoshoot

For me it was the middle crisis/ pre divorce photo shoots. Awful lighting and when they changed the back drop to that huge lollipop - I was like WTF.

The lightning isn't a problem when you can fix it later. It's a very uninspired photoshoot, but the HC cover/pic is one of my all time favorite.

True , i agree its rather unispired and dull in terms of art direction

The lightning isn't a problem when you can fix it later.

That's half the problem with photographers these days - just fix it later.

Show me a horrible Ritts or Meisel outtake that has terrible lighting.

It's pure laziness against what was once a profession & skill.

It's terrible and Giovanni Bianco candy layout just made it even worst. My theory is she got her cheek implants after seeing these pics. She looks so tired, so not there on them (except the ones with the chair). Good for a magazine not for an album.

The make up is awful, the lightning is terrible, flat. Awful shoot. Despite all PS work afterwards without a talented photograph shit comes out. Check the unbrushed MM Interview which leaked for confirmation that lightning is important.

I think she was much more inspired by I Am Because We Are at the time. If you compare her press interviews for the album and the film it's like two completely different people. She was so inspired by her Malawi project whereas Hard Candy just seemed like another album cycle that she had done a million times and was bored of. Then we got the tour and the album just came to life and she seemed more inspired than ever before. S&S was amazing, full of energy and balls and we got our old naughty Madonna back 😊

Yes it's one of her most meaningless photoshoots ever, much worse even than MDNA.

And I don't know if it's just me, but her eyes look sad in those pictures :( I think she was going through a lot at that time...which might also explain why she seemed so uninspired back then.

I know, Hard Candy phosotshoot is her worst of all times. Her make up worst, outfit really bad, subject also.

86FSGmz.jpglwPwMuS.jpgLook at her face, she looks tired and bored in all pictures. And that awful wig is terrible. And purple eye shadow.

uNDDXQC.jpgmbda0cx.jpgg0Qv3Vu.jpgfLJIcVa.jpgOV2GrYV.jpg

Guys those outtakes are just going to get copied and pasted into anti Madonna forums and used against her. Let's not go overboard with the outtakes. Especially at such a positive time 😊

Ok I will search in Google this "Madonna incredibly beautiful picture flawless queen"

11821734_1121248251224992_841850727_n.jp

Thank you! The previous pics gave me nightmares, I needed a pic like this to clean my eyes and mind :mellow:

Anybody involved in this photoshoot has to get fired! The worst ever.

Look at her face, she looks tired and bored in all pictures. And that awful wig is terrible. And purple eye shadow.

uNDDXQC.jpgmbda0cx.jpgg0Qv3Vu.jpgfLJIcVa.jpgOV2GrYV.jpg

These were taken by Munro in the summer of 2008. Not very flattering!

Typical Klein. Bad lighting, makeup, styling and then airbrush the hell out of it later. Shocking

Yes. In all of the Klein pics she has horrible make up on. Most of the times when Madonna was photographed by someone it seemed the common approach was "Good / heavy makeup and later on slight airbrushing / editing". With Klein it's the other way round. Little to no makeup (and if there is, it's shit) and then extreme airbrushing later. So pointless.