Can You Handle Madonna's Workout?

Msig

Are You Man Enough for Madonna's Workout?

http://www.mensjournal.com/expert-advice/are-you-man-enough-for-madonnas-workout-20150604

Madonna, the ripped 56-year-old singer, spends a lot of time in the gym. That is, her own gym, Hard Candy Fitness, a chain of high-end fitness centers she started five years ago. There, she works under Craig Smith, the creative director of Hard Candy Fitness and her head personal trainer.

"Everything we do is based on a mantra Madonna adheres to: Harder and better," says Smith. "Basically, that means work hard for what you want to achieve." So what kind of hard work is involved? "A mixture of cardio, strength, flexibility, stability, core, and holistic functional training," he says. "Every day's workout is completely different from the day before — the more variety in the workouts, the more results she sees and the less chance of her getting injured by overusing one muscle or body part."

Ready to see if you're made of the same stuff as the material girl? Here is a sample total-body workout Smith will put Madonna though. There are three main circuits, and each one is tougher than the one before. All you need is a pair of dumbbells.

Dynamic warm-up

Perform each of the following moves for a minute, repeating the entire series twice.

• Wide-stance alternate reach overhead: Stand with feet wide, squat down, then stand up and reach right arm overhead and toward the left. Repeat reaching with left arm overhead and toward the right.
  • Light jog
  • Simulated jump rope
  • Lateral shuffle
  • Jumping jacks
  • Air squats

Circuit #1: Moderate Level

Perform each move for a minute, repeating the entire series three times (resting for a minute between each set).

• Wide arm push-up
  • 3-pulse plie squat: Stand with feet wider than hips, toes turned out. Squat straight down, pulse three times at the bottom, then stand back up.
  • Single leg bent over reverse fly (30 seconds on each leg): Balance on one leg with dumbbells in each hand. Bend over until torso is almost parallel to floor, face palms together, then pull both arms up at the same time while pinching shoulder blades together.
  • Forearm plank to pike: Start on your forearms in a plank position, then lift hips towards ceiling while pushing head between arms, creating an inverse "V" shape with your body. Reverse to plank and repeat.
  • Shuffle to squat thrust: Start in a squat position and shuffle feet back and forth for five seconds, then place hands on ground, jump feet back to a plank, jump feet back up, and return to a squat position. Repeat.

Circuit #2: Hard Level

Perform each move for a minute, repeating the entire series three times (resting for a minute between each set).

• Lateral lunge knee drives with small hop (30 seconds on each leg): Perform a side lunge, then when you return to start, drive the lunging leg's knee up and give a small hop.
  • Standing plank walk-outs: Start standing, then bend over, put hands on floor, and walk hands out until you're in a plank position. Walk hands back and stand up again. Repeat.
  • Narrow triceps push-up to side plank: Perform a push-up with hands closer together than normal, then rotate into a side plank (alternating sides).
  • Kneeling hip abduction to sidekick (30 seconds on each leg): Start on hands and knees in a tabletop position. Raise one leg out to side (act like a dog meeting a fire hydrant), then, when leg is at hip level, kick foot out.
  • Alternate sprinter lunges: Stand, then lunge one leg back while bending down and touching hands to ground in front of you. Stand back up, then repeat with other leg. Be explosive throughout.

Circuit #3: Beast Level

• Straight leg lunge to bicep curl (30 seconds on each leg): Lunge forward while keeping back leg straight, then perform a bicep curl before returning to start.
  • Plyo squats to burpees: Squat down, jump explosively up, then when you land, go right into a burpee. Keep alternating two moves.
  • Dumbbell pike push-ups: Perform a pike push-up (hips are raised towards ceiling and body is in an inverted "V" shape) with hands on dumbbells.
  • Dumbbell V-sits: Lie on floor with a dumbbell held close to your chest in both hands and legs straight. Sit up while raising feet so legs and torso create a "V" position, keeping legs straight.
  • Basic front kick to touch-down lunge (30 seconds on each leg): Perform a front kick, then take same leg and lunge it back behind you, touching the floor with your hands.

Yoga Flow Cool Down

Repeat this flow-like sequence five times.

• Child's pose
  • Cat/cow
  • Plank
  • Chaturanga (from a plank position you lower your body to the floor so that knees and chest touch down at the same time)
  • Cobra
  • Upward Facing Dog (continue lifting up from the Cobra position until arms are straight)
  • Downward Facing Dog
  • Forward Bend
  • Standing Roll-up (slowly stand up from the forward bend, vertebrae by vertebrae)

This sound insanely exhausting! I'm planning to do this workout the next time I hit the gym, i.e. probably tomorrow.. :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

If you try and fail, get up again! Are you ready?

OMG I think I would die right after the warm up routine

You can do it! :)

I'll do it!

Yaaaaaaas!

I just did it! Except for the sad fact that I could complete no more than 2 sets in each of circuits 1 and 3 - and just one set in circuit 3....

I don't know how she does it! She must be some kind of superhuman!:wow:

I just did it! Except for the sad fact that I could complete no more than 2 sets in each of circuits 1 and 3 - and just one set in circuit 3....

I don't know how she does it! She must be some kind of superhuman!:wow:

Good for you!! Must know, though, what Madonna songs you listened to for inspiration as you worked out...

Good for you!! Must know, though, what Madonna songs you listened to for inspiration as you worked out...

Actually, I don't have that many M songs on my workout playlists. However, one of my gym playlists is inspired by the featured playlists of Hard Candy Fitness.

Some of the M songs that I do listen to while working out are:

• Living for Love (Offer Nissim Living for Drums)
  • Bitch I'm Madonna (Sick Individuals Remix)
  • Give Me All Your Luvin' (Just Blaze Bionic Dub)
  • Celebration (Benny Benassi Remix)
  • Let It Will Be (Paper Faces Remix)
  • Hollywood (Jacques Lu Cont's Thin White Duck Mix)