MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Junior

Students protest transgender classmate's use of girl's locker room

September 1, 2015

2l87us3.jpg

Nearly 200 students walked out of a Missouri high school on Monday because Lila Perry was changing in the girl’s locker room.

While Caitlyn Jenner and other transgender celebrities have been greeted with almost universal acceptance, the road has been far rockier for transgender individuals such as Perry, the 17-year-old senior who is navigating new terrain at Hillsboro High School.

“It wasn’t too long ago white people were saying, ‘I don’t feel comfortable sharing a bathroom with a black person,’ and history repeats itself,” Perry told Fox2.

The nearly two-hour protest featured both those opposed to Perry using ladies’ facilities and those who supported her right to do so.

“I’m not going to hurt their daughters,” said Perry, addressing concerned parents. “I’m not going to expose myself. I’m not a pervert. I’m a transgender woman. I’m a girl. I’m just in there to change, do my business, and that if they have any questions about being transgender, they are more than welcome to talk to me, and I’ll be happy to explain it.”

Perry was stuck in the principal’s office – the school says for her safety – while her classmates debated her rights – and theirs.

Part of the issue is that while Perry identifies as transgender, she still has male genitalia. Perry wears a wig and female clothing, but hasn’t undergone any medical operations to transform her body.

“I find it offensive because Lila has not went through any procedure to become female,” student Sophie Beel told Fox2. “Putting on a dress and putting on a wig is not transgender to me.”

Perry had identified as a gay male until she was 13. But it wasn’t until February that she came out publicly as transgender. She initially used a gender-neutral faculty restroom, but, when Perry added P.E. to her schedule, she decided to begin changing in the girls’ locker room.

“I wasn’t hurting anyone and I didn’t want to feel segregated out,” Perry told KMOV. “I didn’t want to be in the gender-neutral bathroom. I am a girl. I shouldn’t be pushed off to another bathroom.”

But some students have expressed discomfort at the idea of Perry using the ladies’ room. And many parents have also voiced concerns. A Thursday school board meeting that preceded Monday’s walkout was highly attended, and what bathroom Perry should use was a topic of debate.

“The girls have rights, and they shouldn’t have to share a bathroom with a boy,” Tammy Sorden told St. Louis Today. Sorden, who has a son at Hillsboro High, added that it’s not right to give Perry special treatment “while the girls just have to suck it up.”

School administrators have been supportive of her plight, Perry said, though that support may be due in part to legal concerns. Refusing a student’s right to use the bathroom of the sex with which they identify could mean trouble from the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights.

“The Office of Civil Rights has issued an opinion that says, if you do this, you have engaged in gender discrimination,” said Kelli Hopkins, of the Missouri School Boards’ Association.

“At the same time, there is no case law or statute in Missouri that says this is against the law.”

Nearly 200 students walked out of a Missouri high school on Monday because Lila Perry was changing in the girl’s locker room.

sigh.

Bloody cunts! I hope students from other schools show up to support her. Show these cunts how dreadful they're being to this girl.

Blow up the bible belt

they should have explained things to the kids before putting her in that situation.

well he's just a boy dressed in drag right now so until he goes through his transition then he should not be in the women's restrooms/lockers.

I think he should be sensitive to the needs of others as well if he wants others to be sensitive to his needs.

I think the odd thing about this story, based on this article, is that these kids don't have a problem with transgendered people, they just don't feel this kid is transgendered enough :lol:

Guest Rachelle of London

I think the odd thing about this story, based on this article, is that these kids don't have a problem with transgendered people, they just don't feel this kid is transgendered enough :lol:

OMG I was just gonna point that out, I think until she has her bits and bobs sorted she can use the gender neutral changing rooms. the school have provided that, a lot of schools dont

well he's just a boy dressed in drag right now so until he goes through his transition then he should not be in the women's restrooms/lockers.

I think he should be sensitive to the needs of others as well if he wants others to be sensitive to his needs.

Agree. Something about this whole story seem off.

That's unfortunate and remember that she can't undergo medical procedures before turning 18, without her parents' consent, and even with it can still be difficult.

I agree that it's great that the school provided a gender-neutral faculty restroom. Most places I know, still don't.

I just remembered the "Cissy" South Park episode!

TRANSGINGER!! :rotfl:

As already mentioned the situation may not have been explained properly. Not transgendered enough is indeed tricky. From my knowledge (and this is very much in line what Bitch has said before) this is a process. No doctor, at least not a responsible one) will cut off your genitalia etc. five minutes after someone said he or she is transgender. Isn't there like a rule that says you have to live like the opposite sex for two years or so. Inbetween you start hormone therapy and at the end of the road there are the operations. All the process is supervised by a psychologist. But even without the procedures, it doesn't make her less a woman and she should be allowed to use the girls bathroom.

Guest Rachelle of London

But isn't it all about what SHE wants and no concern for others? What about other girls who don't wanna get changed in front of someone with a penis? Does it make a girl who says that transphobic? The school have the facility for Lila. Ganging up on her is NOT the answer though, her classmates are wrong for doing that.

But isn't it all about what SHE wants and no concern for others? What about other girls who don't wanna get changed in front of someone with a penis? Does it make a girl who says that transphobic? The school have the facility for Lila. Ganging up on her is NOT the answer though, her classmates are wrong for doing that.

I doubt she is pulling her penis out, something that would be definately offending to the other girls in the room. But I would like to argue that she is rather discreet when using the bathroom. Considering she is still dealing with a male body she will try to hide it since it's not her and not something she is proud of. Also, I don't think this has to do with what she wants (sure she does), it's about her rights. This is above everything. Many civil rights were created to protect the minorities from the majority. If this was not the case much of the social progress of the recent past would have never happened. There is a reason why much of the progressive decisions were made by the courts because the judges only look at the law and the constitution and leave emotions out of it. Afterall, the people cannot be trusted. Remember what happened with Prop 8?

What do they mean by "not transgender enough"??

You are transgender or you are not.

September 1, 2015

2l87us3.jpg

While Caitlyn Jenner and other transgender celebrities have been greeted with almost universal acceptance, the road has been far rockier for transgender individuals such as Perry, the 17-year-old senior who is navigating new terrain at Hillsboro High School.

“It wasn’t too long ago white people were saying, ‘I don’t feel comfortable sharing a bathroom with a black person,’ and history repeats itself,” Perry told Fox2.

The nearly two-hour protest featured both those opposed to Perry using ladies’ facilities and those who supported her right to do so.

“I’m not going to hurt their daughters,” said Perry, addressing concerned parents. “I’m not going to expose myself. I’m not a pervert. I’m a transgender woman. I’m a girl. I’m just in there to change, do my business, and that if they have any questions about being transgender, they are more than welcome to talk to me, and I’ll be happy to explain it.”

Perry was stuck in the principal’s office – the school says for her safety – while her classmates debated her rights – and theirs.

Part of the issue is that while Perry identifies as transgender, she still has male genitalia. Perry wears a wig and female clothing, but hasn’t undergone any medical operations to transform her body.

“I find it offensive because Lila has not went through any procedure to become female,” student Sophie Beel told Fox2. “Putting on a dress and putting on a wig is not transgender to me.”

Perry had identified as a gay male until she was 13. But it wasn’t until February that she came out publicly as transgender. She initially used a gender-neutral faculty restroom, but, when Perry added P.E. to her schedule, she decided to begin changing in the girls’ locker room.

“I wasn’t hurting anyone and I didn’t want to feel segregated out,” Perry told KMOV. “I didn’t want to be in the gender-neutral bathroom. I am a girl. I shouldn’t be pushed off to another bathroom.”

But some students have expressed discomfort at the idea of Perry using the ladies’ room. And many parents have also voiced concerns. A Thursday school board meeting that preceded Monday’s walkout was highly attended, and what bathroom Perry should use was a topic of debate.

“The girls have rights, and they shouldn’t have to share a bathroom with a boy,” Tammy Sorden told St. Louis Today. Sorden, who has a son at Hillsboro High, added that it’s not right to give Perry special treatment “while the girls just have to suck it up.”

School administrators have been supportive of her plight, Perry said, though that support may be due in part to legal concerns. Refusing a student’s right to use the bathroom of the sex with which they identify could mean trouble from the U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights.

“The Office of Civil Rights has issued an opinion that says, if you do this, you have engaged in gender discrimination,” said Kelli Hopkins, of the Missouri School Boards’ Association.

“At the same time, there is no case law or statute in Missouri that says this is against the law.”

She doesn't want special treatment.. She wants to use the proper locker room.

The fact that people think you have had to have thousands of dollars worth of surgery to be transgender is asinine. It's not about your body, its about how you feel on the inside. To me, surgeries and physical altering is just something you do progressively to feel more at ease with yourself. Just because you haven't had surgery on your genitals, or breast augmentation, doesn't mean you aren't transgender.

The majority of these close minded statements and oppositions are due to the fact that these people are so ignorant about LGBT issues. We can only progress when we teach people about what they don't know, then that way they won't have to be so scared and defensive about it. Just let the girl use the damn girl's bathroom!! Like jesus christ. The other students opinions on it are invalid. She is a girl, therefore, she can use the girls bathroom. End of debate. Its a violation on her rights, not the other students.

Guest Rachelle of London

I doubt she is pulling her penis out, something that would be definately offending to the other girls in the room. But I would like to argue that she is rather discreet when using the bathroom. Considering she is still dealing with a male body she will try to hide it since it's not her and not something she is proud of. Also, I don't think this has to do with what she wants (sure she does), it's about her rights. This is above everything. Many civil rights were created to protect the minorities from the majority. If this was not the case much of the social progress of the recent past would have never happened. There is a reason why much of the progressive decisions were made by the courts because the judges only look at the law and the constitution and leave emotions out of it. Afterall, the people cannot be trusted. Remember what happened with Prop 8?

This isn't the loos it's the locker room.

I will never understand why people make such a big fuss over who shits where or who changes where. As if suddenly these places are going to become a breeding ground for rapists and predators. Because nothing says HOT like a man or a woman taking a shit in a bathroom stall.

First world problems.

Guest Rachelle of London

The fact that people think you have had to have thousands of dollars worth of surgery to be transgender is asinine. It's not about your body, its about how you feel on the inside. To me, surgeries and physical altering is just something you do progressively to feel more at ease with yourself. Just because you haven't had surgery on your genitals, or breast augmentation, doesn't mean you aren't transgender.

The majority of these close minded statements and oppositions are due to the fact that these people are so ignorant about LGBT issues. We can only progress when we teach people about what they don't know, then that way they won't have to be so scared and defensive about it. Just let the girl use the damn girl's bathroom!! Like jesus christ. The other students opinions on it are invalid. She is a girl, therefore, she can use the girls bathroom. End of debate. Its a violation on her rights, not the other students.

So the other girls have no rights because they're not transgender? Their opinions are invalid?

I get what you are saying to a certain extent but just because this girl is transgender doesn't make her rights more important than the other girls. By believing that it ultimately means she's getting special treatment due to her gender. How is that equality?

So the other girls have no rights because they're not transgender? Their opinions are invalid?

I get what you are saying to a certain extent but just because this girl is transgender doesn't make her rights more important than the other girls. By believing that it ultimately means she's getting special treatment due to her gender. How is that equality?

You pose a valid point. I guess what I was trying to argue didn't come across as I meant it to.. All I'm trying to say is I don't really see how its their right to not want a woman in the locker room with them. Since she is a transgender woman, she has just as much of a claim to those locker rooms as a "normal" girl would. I struggle with the same thing as a gay man. It is incredibly intimidating and nerve racking to use mens locker rooms and it's something I hated in school, especially since I was out at such a young age and every kid knew I was gay. They have a right to oppose a transgender person using the locker room, but at the end of the day, I feel as though the transgender person has just as much of a right to be in there as the other girls do. To me I see it the same as telling any other girl she can't be in there just because others may be a little squeamish around her.

I'm sorry if I came across as crass, Chellegasm. Sometimes I feel strongly about something and my fingers type quicker than my brain can process. We all experience that at some point :huh:

What do they mean by "not transgender enough"??

You are transgender or you are not.

I'm not saying I agree with them, that's just basically what the girl who was interviewed said. She said he put on a wig and called himself transgendered and they don't think he qualifies as being transgendered and therefore shouldn't be in the girl's locker room. Again, their problem isn't with transgendered people, the problem here is that they don't consider him as one.

I really don't think it's asinine. Transexualism is a complex topic that not even gay people really understand and I think it's totally valid that 15 year olds just don't get it. I'm not saying what they're doing is cool at all, it's fucked up, but like you said, they're ignorant when it comes to Transexual-related issues. No one is saying they aren't transgendered, I was simply pointing out the fact that the statement the girl made, even though it's stupid at the end of the day, was interesting because they don't seem to have an issue with transgendered people, they clearly just don't understand what that means since nobody took the time to explain it to them and they don't think he's transgendered.

I'm not saying I agree with them, that's just basically what the girl who was interviewed said. She said he put on a wig and called himself transgendered and they don't think he qualifies as being transgendered and therefore shouldn't be in the girl's locker room. Again, their problem isn't with transgendered people, the problem here is that they don't consider him as one.

I really don't think it's asinine. Transexualism is a complex topic that not even gay people really understand and I think it's totally valid that 15 year olds just don't get it. I'm not saying what they're doing is cool at all, it's fucked up, but like you said, they're ignorant when it comes to Transexual-related issues. No one is saying they aren't transgendered, I was simply pointing out the fact that the statement the girl made, even though it's stupid at the end of the day, was interesting because they don't seem to have an issue with transgendered people, they clearly just don't understand what that means since nobody took the time to explain it to them and they don't think he's transgendered.

Yeah. A lot of people don't get it unless its something they have had to deal with first hand. I came out very very young, and I remember kids asking me if I wanted to become a girl just because I was gay. That in itself shows that it's an abstract concept for some people, especially young people who have never known a transgender person.

I didn't get mad or defensive over them asking me that. It was something I kinda just shrugged off before explaining to them that there is a difference between being transexual and being homosexual. So yes, I agree with that aspect of things Ulizos.

Guest Rachelle of London

You pose a valid point. I guess what I was trying to argue didn't come across as I meant it to.. All I'm trying to say is I don't really see how its their right to not want a woman in the locker room with them. Since she is a transgender woman, she has just as much of a claim to those locker rooms as a "normal" girl would. I struggle with the same thing as a gay man. It is incredibly intimidating and nerve racking to use mens locker rooms and it's something I hated in school, especially since I was out at such a young age and every kid knew I was gay. They have a right to oppose a transgender person using the locker room, but at the end of the day, I feel as though the transgender person has just as much of a right to be in there as the other girls do. To me I see it the same as telling any other girl she can't be in there just because others may be a little squeamish around her.

I'm sorry if I came across as crass, Chellegasm. Sometimes I feel strongly about something and my fingers type quicker than my brain can process. We all experience that at some point :huh:

You didn't come across as crass at all. No need to apologise. I hear where you're coming from. I agreed with some of your original points and I agree education about LGBT topics is key. The more aware people are to trans issues, the less bigotry that will be about. I hope one day her classmates can ynderstand better about her wanting to use the girls locker room

Locker room time was probably the only thing I enjoyed about school. It was the one time I got to see my crushes at the time in nothing but their boxers. :lol:

(And no we didn't shower after gym class in our school. That back then would have made uncomfortable cause I was uptight showing my junk to people.)

That's unfortunate and remember that she can't undergo medical procedures before turning 18, without her parents' consent, and even with it can still be difficult.

I agree that it's great that the school provided a gender-neutral faculty restroom. Most places I know, still don't.

I just remembered the "Cissy" South Park episode!

TRANSGINGER!! :rotfl:

Totally reminded me of south park

Can easily be solved with the help of doctors. As long as she's under the supervision of doctors for her transition (no surgeries required), she can easily change her name and gender marker with the Federal and State government. Once it's legally changed, then by law, she needs to be allowed to use the female bathroom, no matter what other people say. There are ways to overcome obstacles if people find the correct ways to do it. Can't just barge in and demand things without going thru the proper channels.

Can easily be solved with the help of doctors. As long as she's under the supervision of doctors for her transition (no surgeries required), she can easily change her name and gender marker with the Federal and State government. Once it's legally changed, then by law, she needs to be allowed to use the female bathroom, no matter what other people say. There are ways to overcome obstacles if people find the correct ways to do it. Can't just barge in and demand things without going thru the proper channels.

It's hilarious to me how some people think you can't be trans unless you chop your dick off and screw on a pair of DD tits :lmao: I know many trans individuals who aren't even on hormones! But still identify as trans. And should still be respected.

The majority of these close minded statements and oppositions are due to the fact that these people are so ignorant about LGBT issues. We can only progress when we teach people about what they don't know, then that way they won't have to be so scared and defensive about it. Just let the girl use the damn girl's bathroom!! Like jesus christ. The other students opinions on it are invalid. She is a girl, therefore, she can use the girls bathroom. End of debate. Its a violation on her rights, no

t the other students.

This!

In my country we have a gender identity law created to protect people in this situations.

If you feel you're a woman trapped in the wrong body, you can change your ID to a female, and everyone must respect and treat you like a woman, wether you went through with surgery or not...it's about respecting everyone's choice

It's hilarious to me how some people think you can't be trans unless you chop your dick off and screw on a pair of DD tits :lmao: I know many trans individuals who aren't even on hormones! But still identify as trans. And should still be respected.

It's hilarious when they're full-grown adults living in a first world country with easy access to information regarding these matters. But these are kids and all I was saying is that the school should've set aside some time to talk to ALL of the kids and explain what was going on, explain to them what the terms transgender / transexual mean, maybe even have a guest speaker. I don't know. But these kids judging from what I read are CLEARLY confused as fuck.