Things you were expecting.

cjc

This thread is for things you were expecting Madonna to do or release, either or by your expectations or magazines or internet rumours.These are mine. What were yours?

Spotlight was to be released as a full scale single.

Bloodhounds of Broadway was to have a soundtrack album similar to Who's That Girl.

After Dear Jessie was released in the UK and Oh Father was released in the USA early 1990 would see Dear Jessie released in the USA and Oh Father in UK.

I'm Breathless would have more than 2 singles released.

Into The Groove was to be re-released in the summer of 1991. (Bad idea, should have gone for Lucky Star).

Madonna and Barbara Sreisand were doing a duet. 'Anything you can do I can do better.'

Body Of Evidence would have a Madonna song released.

Bedtime Stories Tour.

Something To Remember was a greatest hits album with the 6 Erotica singles, 4 Bedtime Stories singles, I'll Remember, This Used To Be My Playground and 3 new songs.

Something to Remember would have a video release.

I Want You would eventually get a single release.

Buenos Aires would get a single release.

Skin was getting a single release with an unreleased track as the B-side.

Ray Of Light tour.

1999 would give us Be Careful as a single/video, Veronica Electronica release with a new song followed by Chicago soundtrack.

Impressive Instant would get a single release.

The Brixton Academy performance would be released on the Drowned world tour vhs/dvd.

3 new songs on GHV2.

3 previous unreleased songs on GHV2.

Live versions of Holiday and Music on GHV2..

Full scale video for Nothing Fails.

3 Disc CD for the Celebration album.

Full scale video for Revolver.

and Impressive Instant as the summer release from Music!

That would have awesome. It may not have made Number 1 but would have been a definite Top 5 and served as as a better lead up to GHV2.

I expected:
- Secret project to be a music video
- Gang Bang to have its music video directed by Tarantino
- 25th Anniversary Re-edition of Like A Prayer with bonus songs
- Revolver music video
- Turn Up The Radio music video to be more interesting with a plot
- Blond Ambition and RIT DVDs
- Madonna to have more contact with fans, backstage meetings, photos, autographs

Rescue Me video

Time Stood Still as a single/video

Beautiful Killer single/video (I can't exactly say I was expecting this, but I sure wished for it)

Rebel Heart demo as a lead single with video :cries:

Some have been mentioned already that I would have thought, but to add (the first two are more her label):

Like a Prayer album remaster, similar to other ones from the 80's that happened

More certifications for her albums

Give Me All Your Luffin to have a major overhaul after the initial leak

The duet with Ricky Martin (Be Careful) being released as a single and SMASHING the charts

Impressive Instant single release and insanely colorful and out-of-control video

Beat Goes On single release

Better cover picture for Celebration album

Better cover picture for I'm Going To Tell You A Freaking Secret

Ghosttown actually reaching the top 20 in some of the bigger music markets (Germany, France, UK...)

MDNA having a better lead single

The duet with Britney being more exciting

i'm sure there's more but I can't think of any more right now. I don't really remember what I was expecting pre ROL/Music because I was a baby back then

Many interesting and thoughtful suggestions in this thread... The one that comes immediately to mind for me is CHICAGO. She should've been Velma. (i guess Fosse may have wanted her for Roxie back in the 80s... either way, a huge loss. Especially in comparison to the fact that she made Swept Away at the time when she could've filmed Chicago....)

Many interesting and thoughtful suggestions in this thread... The one that comes immediately to mind for me is CHICAGO. She should've been Velma. (i guess Fosse may have wanted her for Roxie back in the 80s... either way, a huge loss. Especially in comparison to the fact that she made Swept Away at the time when she could've filmed Chicago....)

Didn't Madonna not do Chicago to stand by Goldie Hawn? I don't think her decision was made poorly.

Guest Rocco Papa

I really wanted a box set edition of Celebration featuring ALL the singles on CDs and ALL the videos on DVDs along with a kick-ass booklet!! That would've been awesome. I also would've liked Justify My Love to be uncensored, since it was very hypocritical not to censor WIFLFAG on the same release. I also think she should've taken advantage of opportunities to finally release the original American Life video. The director's cut of the video was rumored to be included on the IGTTYAS DVD. And I was really hoping she'd include in on the Celebration DVD. Plus, I think she should've included the uncensored version of Erotica instead on there as well. And This Used To Be My Playground should've been on the Celebration DVD too.

I also wanted a Behind-the-scenes documentary as a bonus feature on the MDNA Tour DVD similar to the one we got on the Sticky & Sweet DVD. There was so much controversy going on during that tour, that a documentary would've been perfect for that time! It also would've been nice to include the 2 extra songs at the Olympia show on the DVD too in the bonus features section, not to mention the explicit version of the Girl Gone Wild video. And when Truth or Dare was re-released on DVD and Blu-Ray in 2012, I hoped we'd get some deleted scenes as a bonus feature.

And the fact that there's still not an official Blond Ambition DVD release is just blasphemy!

Paradise as a single or at least explore an anime like video with some kind of melancholic apocalyptic theme.

Impressive Instant, Beat goes on, She's not me, I'm addicted, Forbbiden Love (confessions), Gang Bang and Rebel Heart demo like being released as fucking singles so that they can have a video as well...grrr

Didn't Madonna not do Chicago to stand by Goldie Hawn? I don't think her decision was made poorly.

Hi, Larkspur! No, you're right ... that is the rumor, and that's true, she made a decision out of loyalty and solidarity, and that is surely admirable. This thread is sort of hypothetical - what we expected. (Of course, with Madonna, we should expect the unexpected!) But honestly, Madonna's name was attached to CHICAGO (along with a catalogue of other actresses) since the 1980s. The time w/ Goldie Hawn was just the closest she got to actually doing it.

The director attached at that time (of Goldie being released and Madonna resigning in solidarity) was fired because he had no cast. At that point, another director could have been hired to work with Goldie & Madonna in a fantasy universe. (Directors, of course, want to do their own casting for leads. Or at least have final say.) So, I'm not saying she should have gone ahead w/o Goldie. Just saying it would have been nice if Miramax would have stood up for Goldie (and then Madonna). Just sad the way it turned out, that's all. One regret I have for her and her career. She would have been perfect; the film won an Oscar and there were plenty of noms to go around. She may have finally been nominated, at least.

At the end of the day, I'm grateful for what we have!! Don't misunderstand, please. Was just going with the theme of the thread.

Hi, Larkspur! No, you're right ... that is the rumor, and that's true, she made a decision out of loyalty and solidarity, and that is surely admirable. This thread is sort of hypothetical - what we expected. (Of course, with Madonna, we should expect the unexpected!) But honestly, Madonna's name was attached to CHICAGO (along with a catalogue of other actresses) since the 1980s. The time w/ Goldie Hawn was just the closest she got to actually doing it.

The director attached at that time (of Goldie being released and Madonna resigning in solidarity) was fired because he had no cast. At that point, another director could have been hired to work with Goldie & Madonna in a fantasy universe. (Directors, of course, want to do their own casting for leads. Or at least have final say.) So, I'm not saying she should have gone ahead w/o Goldie. Just saying it would have been nice if Miramax would have stood up for Goldie (and then Madonna). Just sad the way it turned out, that's all. One regret I have for her and her career. She would have been perfect; the film won an Oscar and there were plenty of noms to go around. She may have finally been nominated, at least.

At the end of the day, I'm grateful for what we have!! Don't misunderstand, please. Was just going with the theme of the thread.

Hi Peter! I just remembered that and felt the need to share it, just because. I understood your post and share in your disappointment at a missed oppurtunity regardless of how it was missed.

I had no idea about this solidarity Madonna had with Goldie Hawn in terms of "Chicago"... so interesting. I didn't know they were close at all, or maybe there was only closeness when it came to the making of the movie? So Madonna really wanted to do it with her, or that was their plan together?

Madonna being in "Chicago" would have been awesome, especially if she had "Evita" levels of commitment.

I had no idea about this solidarity Madonna had with Goldie Hawn in terms of "Chicago"... so interesting. I didn't know they were close at all, or maybe there was only closeness when it came to the making of the movie? So Madonna really wanted to do it with her, or that was their plan together?

Madonna being in "Chicago" would have been awesome, especially if she had "Evita" levels of commitment.

Yes, so ... the rumors reported in late 1998 and early 1999 were that Goldie Hawn was cast as Roxie and Madonna was cast as Velma, with director Nicholas Hytner on the project. Miramax held the rights, I believe. An unauthorized bio at that time revealed that M and Goldie had "already begun collaborating" (but did not specify whether that meant they'd spent some time together in a studio singing, rehearsing, dancing, or just discussing ideas/approaches). It was then reported that Hytner wanted to get rid of Goldie because she was "too old" and favored Charlize Theron as a replacement. Madonna quit in solidarity. Hytner obviously lost the project without a cast. (Odd that he couldn't make it happen w: other actresses, who would no doubt have jumped at the chance to play the parts.)

Later on, Harvey Weinstein called Rob Marshall in for a meeting to discuss making RENT into a movie. Marshall started out the meeting by asking if he could pitch his concept for CHICAGO (i.e., using Roxie as the lens through which the whole movie is imagined) and Harvey was so impressed, he let him do that instead. Rehearsals with Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zellweger were set to begin on September 11, 2001. Madonna was still wrapping up DWT, as we know, and the rehearsals for Chicago were slightly delayed. So, the timing could have worked for M, but obviously Marshall assembled a different cast instead. (He must respect her, though. He made all the women in the cast of his musical film NINE attend a Madonna concert as preparation for their roles. I think that was S&S?)

Whether all this is fact is not certain. But if you Google it, you'll see the stories about it.

(She was also supposed to play the violin teacher in a movie called 99 Violins. She learned to play the violin and studied for the part, meeting the real teacher upon whom the movie was based. Creative differences were cited as the reason for Madonna leaving the film. Meryl Streep assumed the role and the film's name was changed to The Music of My Heart. This was not long before the Chicago stories, because it was around the time of the Ray of Light album. Could've been an interesting project for M, with a potential soundtrack contribution. Although I've never seen the actual film...)

^ Also, worth noting, though... Chicago had a long road to the screen. Bob Fosse, the original Broadway director, wanted to direct it in the 1980s, and even named Madonna as his choice for a star, but he passed away suddenly. For many years, no one wanted to touch it, for fear of operating in the shadow of Fosse. The stage version was revived very successfully (with Bebe Neuwirth and Ann Reinking) in the late 90s (maybe 1997?) and did well in the Tonys in 1998. So interest probably was re-ignited due to the revival. That's when Madonna was attached again.

The age issue seems unfair; Gwen Verdon and Chita Rivera originated the roles on Broadway and were 50 or 50+ at that time. And M and Goldie look youthful. But I guess film is different than stage. :( Could've been great for M. She has much more success in musicals. Maybe Sunset Boulevard, one day...