Aussie 12" Singles

Can someone tell me what are all of Madonna's 12' singles that were released in generic sleeves (without picture sleeves) in Australia, regardless if a pic sleeve was issued along side it? While I'm at it, was Crazy For You released as in a generic sleeve as a 7" in Aus? Thanks

Where did you find the answers?

Crazy For You was definitely released in a picture sleeve in Australia - I have it :)

I mean did Crazy For you also get issued in a generic sleeve along with pic sleeve?

I got it from the Madonna Austalia page. :p

I mean did Crazy For you also get issued in a generic sleeve along with pic sleeve?

I got it from the Madonna Austalia page. :p

Yes, it did - back in the 80s, every single was released in a generic sleeve. Picture sleeves were issued for most singles (but not all) and then once the initial pressing was sold out, they were only available in generic picture sleeves.

Yes, it did - back in the 80s, every single was released in a generic sleeve. Picture sleeves were issued for most singles (but not all) and then once the initial pressing was sold out, they were only available in generic picture sleeves.

That's not what Matt said on his Facebook Madonna Australia page :0 how do you know, did you see it for sale at the time in generic sleeve?

That's not what Matt said on his Facebook Madonna Australia page :0 how do you know, did you see it for sale at the time in generic sleeve?

I actually think he's misunderstood your question, given the wording of his answer (i.e. he points out that LAV was the first 7" single with a picture sleeve, then says that after that, only Gambler and OF didn't have picture sleeves). I own the CFY generic sleeve 7".

I actually think he's misunderstood your question, given the wording of his answer (i.e. he points out that LAV was the first 7" single with a picture sleeve, then says that after that, only Gambler and OF didn't have picture sleeves). I own the CFY generic sleeve 7".

Did you buy the crazy for you at time of release? Got pics?

Did you buy the crazy for you at time of release? Got pics?

I did, yes. I'll dig it out when I'm home and take a pic.

As I said, back then, if a single was released with a picture sleeve, once the initial pressing was sold out, it was issued in a generic sleeve. If Dear Jessie was ever available in a generic sleeve, there wouldn't have been many copies issued, as it wasn't a big seller. In any case, it certainly wasn't the very last Australian single released in a generic sleeve. Vogue, Hanky Panky, Justify My Love and Rescue Me were all issued in generic sleeves, too.

I did, yes. I'll dig it out when I'm home and take a pic.

As I said, back then, if a single was released with a picture sleeve, once the initial pressing was sold out, it was issued in a generic sleeve. If Dear Jessie was ever available in a generic sleeve, there wouldn't have been many copies issued, as it wasn't a big seller. In any case, it certainly wasn't the very last Australian single released in a generic sleeve. Vogue, Hanky Panky, Justify My Love and Rescue Me were all issued in generic sleeves, too.

Woah woah wait wait, justify my love and rescue me had generic Australian sleeves? 0.o I've never seen any of them online. I saw dear Jessie in generic sleeve on eBay ages ago but cant find any now and Oh father generic Aus 7" seems to be rare now :/

Just to clarify - the Australian singles that were never issued in a picture sleeve were Burning Up, Holiday, Borderline, Lucky Star, Gambler (Geffen) and Oh Father - every other one was issued in a picture sleeve and once the sales were exhausted, they were issued in a generic sleeve. The picture sleeves hold a little more value as Warner issued generic sleeves for any 7" that was selling quickly.

Also you can make your own generic sleeve if you want - just take the vinyl and buy an alternate 7" by another 80s Warner artist and problem solved :)

I'm guessing that's what you did for some of your releases :0

thanks guys and while I'm at it, what are the story behind the oz promo copies that have the not for sale sticker on the back of it in white and red. Did all Aussie promo copies of albums have that exact sticker and did the singles also have them?

I'm guessing that's what you did for some of your releases :0

thanks guys and while I'm at it, what are the story behind the oz promo copies that have the not for sale sticker on the back of it in white and red. Did all Aussie promo copies of albums have that exact sticker and did the singles also have them?

No idea, sorry....

Australia rarely produced promos for Madonna - the first cd single that was issued as a promo was Frozen. Before that they issued commercial releases with the sticker which can easily be removed. There was only one promo 12" and that was Rescue Me and there is a promo 7" for Crazy For You and Gambler issued by Geffen.

As for the generic sleeves, there's no point in collecting them as it's the same vinyl as the one's with the picture sleeve lol

Australia rarely produced promos for Madonna - the first cd single that was issued as a promo was Frozen. Before that they issued commercial releases with the sticker which can easily be removed. There was only one promo 12" and that was Rescue Me and there is a promo 7" for Crazy For You and Gambler issued by Geffen.

As for the generic sleeves, there's no point in collecting them as it's the same vinyl as the one's with the picture sleeve lol

No I mean the 'sample product. Not for sale' stickers that are on the more recent releases from 2000. (Under madonnarecords.com as promo). Do you know anything about them as I found some cd singles which have that sticker to? Thanks so much for answering!

Same deal - the sample product stickers are just stuck on commercial releases and have no more value - I was in contact with Warner from 1990-2002 hence I know and scored so much stuff back then

So I'm guessing the commercial releases were just to sent to shops etc for promo purposes (like to be played, reviewed etc) with that sticker and the first commercial release with that was Frozen (apart from rescue me, and the Geffen ones). It makes so much more sense now. I collect them both, promo and commercial copy.

Oh wait, I just fully understood this now. Thanks.

The exception is "Like A Prayer" - quite late in the single's run, they released a slightly longer version in a generic sleeve (5m12s, as opposed to 5m08s - I remember being stunned when I noticed this on a friend's copy and then laughed at when I had to buy another copy, so that I had both versions :) ).

The exception is "Like A Prayer" - quite late in the single's run, they released a slightly longer version in a generic sleeve (5m12s, as opposed to 5m08s - I remember being stunned when I noticed this on a friend's copy and then laughed at when I had to buy another copy, so that I had both versions :) ).

Was the 5.12 version the album fade?