Inside the Iconic Vogue MTV Awards performance

Raf

Only Madonna can get away with blantant lipsynching without even a mic, but still it is a performance of LIFE!

She made a fucking video at the music video awards. Live on stage. epic

madonna_mtvvma_1990_vogue_01.jpg

Often recalled as the “Marie Antoinette” performance, Madonna’s game-changing 1990 rendition of her hit “Vogue” was based on the film Dangerous Liaisons, with Madge donning Michelle Pfeiffer’s actual dress from the movie. Luis Camacho and Jose Gutierez, both of whom danced on Madonna’s “Blonde Ambition” tour and choreographed and danced in the original “Vogue” video and VMA number, recall that unforgettable night.

Gutierez: At first, we were going to do another song, 'cause people were already sick of us doing this. We had already vogued all year. It was between “Keep it Together” and something else.

Camacho: The idea [for the “Vogue” performance] came about during a game of charades. During the last days of the tour, we were in the South of France, in Nice, and one of the charades was Dangerous Liaisons. I was sitting next to her, and Madonna goes, “You know, that’s very ‘Vogue.’ ”

Gutierez: For the choreography, I was trying to basically keep the same stuff that was in the chorus section [of the video]. Everyone remembers those counts of eight from the chorus. Voguing is very arrogant and very aristocratic with all this attitude, so I think the theme and the costumes made us emulate it even more.

Camacho: The only thing that had us a little nervous were the fans the women [dancers] had. At one point in the choreography, they flipped the fans in the air, and they’re supposed to catch them. At almost every rehearsal, somebody would drop the fan.

Gutierez: Janet Jackson’s dancers also were performing that night, and there was always this Janet and Madonna competition throughout the years. Janet opened the show with “Black Cat” and we were closing the show, so we got to see them go on first. We were so amped because we were like, “Oh my God, they sucked! They were so bad!” We were like, “Oh, it’s in the bag!”

Camacho: We were also up for an award that night for best choreography.

Gutierez: I really wanted to win, but I knew that we weren’t going to. Madonna told us, “Don’t get your hopes up, because it’s very political in these awards ceremonies. They’re not going to give it to two young kids from the Lower East Side.” I was like, “You don’t know that!”

Camacho: By the time we went to perform, we [hadn’t won]. Standing offstage, Jose and I felt like, “We are about to show you why we should have gotten that award.” We always did a prayer circle before we went on stage. Madonna was like, “Let’s go out there and give it to them! Let’s serve it up, ladies and gentlemen!”

Gutierez: You can see our energy. It’s that moment when the curtain goes up and we are there, and everyone in the crowd just rises to their feet. I was jumping out of my skin.

Camacho: And no one dropped a fan! After they all caught it, we all clapped and breathed a sigh of relief. It was a nail-biter.

Gutierez: Talking about it now is like reliving those moments of being on stage—it gives you this rush of wanting to be the best and wanting to leave such an impression. It’s crazy because 25 years later, people still remember. I still get recognized on the street from this job that I did 25 years ago, and it feels so good.

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/34736/inside-3-iconic-mtv-vmas-moments-with-madonna-britney-and-lady-gaga/

BOW DOWN

Raf, you are back :tigger: Hooray, missed you so much.

Seeing Peter and Raf back in the last week on the forum has been great.

Re this performance of Vogue, incredible, artistic and amazing in every way. Remember watching this with my parents who both thought she was amazing as well.

It was the night after the VMAs.

This is stg that I still didint't know...And why there's no metion at all by her or the dancers, even the press has no footage. Who else took part of this benefit party? it's odd.

Guest bluejean

Well it definitely happened because we have seen photos and I remember there were distinct differences that proved it was from a different performance.

[strawberryBounce] Here's the queen Janet slaying with her iconic legendary Black Cat performance! :catty: [/strawberryBounce]

https://vimeo.com/104068091

I think it's unfair to say the dancers were bad but it's a predictable performance but fun, funky opening.

Perfect to warm up the crowd for the main act of the night. :queenbitch:

That performance was so EPIC and nobody gives a shit that it was totally lipsynched without a mic. AMAZING.

I remember watching this for the first time as a kid and being in total awe.

One of my cousin's friend had the Immaculate Collection home video. Being born in the 80s I grew up with her music and had a few of her albums, but after watching her main video moments back to back that afternoon, closing with THIS performance, I left that room reborn a diehard fan for life and have never looked back.

Having just watched Janet's performance left me thinking three things: 1) The performance was eh. Not one of her better performances. I def get what Madonna's dancers are saying. 2) Was "Black Cat" really that big back then so much so that it peaked at #1 on BB? I'm saying this b/c the song does nothing for me. And 3) I see Miss Jackson has taken a page from Madonna's play book specifically speaking the way she ripped open her blouse exposing her um... class?

People (specifically the haters) can say what they want about Madonna but one thing is for sure Madonna's the real deal and her "Vogue" VMA performance is proof of that! #Iconic

I didn't get to see this for ages until I got the JML video single

This and Sooner or Later and EY from the VMAs always impresses non fans

Only Madonna can get away with blantant lipsynching without even a mic, but still a performance of LIFE!

The blatant lip synching was obviously meant to ruffle some feathers. You have to remember this was around the time of Milli Vanilli and Black Box controversies and the subject of miming was very touchy. This only added to the "in your face" feel of the performance.

Wow love this performance so much.

I always thought that when the dancer steps on the dress it was on porpoise. He steps so hard. And you can see the face of joy after the fan flip!!!

Right?! You can just see the sign of relief on Donna's face. Like, "Yass, bitch I got this!" (Thank God!) "Now, Madonna won't kill me." :)

This performance is LIFE. It's filled with so many great moments, especially the part when Madonna stares daggers at the dancer who stepped on her dress!

It's crazy to think that Vogue didn't win best choreography, although the VMAs have never awarded Madonna like they should have. She has the most nominations for best choreography but only one win for Ray of Light, which is just insane to me. I understand that Rhythm Nation was really big at the time, but how many people know every word and movement to Rhythm Nation compared to the worldwide adoration of Vogue. It just shows how little awards actually mean to legacy, which is probably why Madonna has never much cared for awards attention because she knows her legend is preserved in actual culture where it matters more.

The beast offered her black pussy to the VMA producers. If you read the interview Madonna told them that they won't win coz of the politics.

Madonna refused to offer her's.

Gutierez: Janet Jackson’s dancers also were performing that night, and there was always this Janet and Madonna competition throughout the years. Janet opened the show with “Black Cat” and we were closing the show, so we got to see them go on first. We were so amped because we were like, “Oh my God, they sucked! They were so bad!” We were like, “Oh, it’s in the bag!”

:rotfl:

Poor Flangita

Honestly though, this is one of the most legendary performances EVER. If anyone can watch this and still question her iconic status, they're NUTS.

It was so well put together, so well choreographed. And paired with one of the greatest pop songs of all TIME. The fans are so FIERCE and add so much dramatic effect :dramatic:

Perfection from start to finish. This is the kind of performance that all flop princesses only DREAM of accomplishing. A work of art, really.

Madonna you fucking legend

10mognm.jpg

This performance was so absolutely incredible.

I remember the night it was on, I missed seeing her on the live broadcast because it was a school night and the show went past my bedtime. BUT I taped it, and when I got home from school the next day I was able to finally watch the performance. At first glance, when she came out from behind the curtains, I remember not at all recognizing her. But then I realized it WAS her and I spent the rest of the performance watching her in awe. :wow::inlove:

yay memories.

I didn't see this performance until I bought the video of Justify My Love. I was only 16 at the time the video was released,and had to lie to the guy working at my HMV in order to convince him that I was 18!!!.It left me in awe then,still has the same effect 25 years later.

This is stg that I still didint't know...And why there's no metion at all by her or the dancers, even the press has no footage. Who else took part of this benefit party? it's odd.

Yes it didn't get much attention and it's a shame there's no video footage that we know of - but as I mentioned, it did get some media coverage at the time (I first heard about it via Entertainment Tonight the night after it happened).

It was the 4th Annual APLA "Commitment To Life" event, September 7th 1990 a the Wiltern Theater - and Madonna was given an award by Bette Midler, as well as doing her Vogue performance. Other celebs in attendance included Rod Stewart, Angelica Houston, Rob Lowe, Patrick Dempsey, Sir Ian McKellan and James Woods.

1990%2BAPLA%2BSeptember%2B7%2B1990%2B209

tumblr_npb36y54eB1raznnho2_500.jpg

Gutierez: Janet Jacksons dancers also were performing that night, and there was always this Janet and Madonna competition throughout the years. Janet opened the show with Black Cat and we were closing the show, so we got to see them go on first. We were so amped because we were like, Oh my God, they sucked! They were so bad! We were like, Oh, its in the bag!

This is probably what Arsenic Hall heard backstage.