Pop's Greatest Female Artists (The Telegraph)

Guest HaveASit

Guest HaveASit

1. Madonna

Love her or loathe her, it would be hard to deny Madonnas pole position as the greatest female pop star of our times. Her world-beating, shape-shifting, trend-setting and at times ground breaking pop music has covered the gamut of female archetypes: virgin, whore, wife, mother, witch, diva, saint, sinner and 50-year-old cheerleader, and put it all to dance beats and catchy hooks. She might not be the greatest singer, she may not be the finest songwriter, she may favour surface over depth and make music that barely ripples the soul, but Madonnas pop genius has carried her on a three decade winning streak that no other star, male or female, can match.

Full list: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/pop-20-greatest-female-artists/

Get the acclaim, Queen

It's great that she's #1 but I personally find it a little annoying that they always have lists of the best female artists. Why segregate by gender? They don't have lists of the best male artists or the best black artists generally? I don't see what your gender has to do with you being a good artist or not. To me, you should have a list of the best artists period.

Secondly, it's kind of a back handed compliment as usual. She is a good singer and songwriter. And maybe not every song she does is deep, but she does have many substantive songs, more than a lot of pop stars. What about songs like Live to Tell, Like A Prayer or Frozen. So to say she doesn't have substance as well as style and her music barely ripples the soul I think is very unfair.

Ok so the fact that she's number 1 is great, although expected, but then again I feel whoever wrote this wasn't happy with the fact that he/she had to rank Madonna as the number 1 female pop artist so had to throw in tacky hate lines, which were meant to be discreet but I mean come on you mean to tell me that this person has never heard "Live To Tell" or "Frozen" or "Power Of Goodbye" or "Secret" or "Take A Bow" to claim that she prefers surface over depth and all that bullshit you can see the bitterness oozing. Maybe this "writer" is a little monster lol :p

She might not be the greatest singer, she may not be the finest songwriter, she may favour surface over depth and make music that barely ripples the soul

:rotfl:

Typical

Her world-beating, shape-shifting, trend-setting and at times ground breaking pop music

Yes and along with that she's also a brilliant lyricist, melody creator, producer and visual artist who has enriched her medium and evolved through the years. As attested by the people who have worked with her and even by serious music critics, many times

Anyone who after 32 years is still bent on purporting this idea of Madonna as a mere image-maker or window dresser is an obtuse or a downright idiot who hates the person most likely, not the music, if they listend to the music at all

The write-up is like a backhanded compliment...clearly anyone who has REALLY LISTENED to some of Madonna's more meaningful albums knows they are drenched in meaning, substance and emotional depth.

Guest HaveASit

Well, at least this is another huge media outlet recognizing her legacy. I mean, they havent included Kylie, or Janet, or Mariah, FFS.

The write-up is like a backhanded compliment...

Totally

So much that it becomes a joke. I know it's the Telegraph, so a little mid summer meaningless list but you either have a serious write up or just put her at the back. What makes Madonna Madonna is not that she's among the 5 best-selling music acts ever or her $1.2bn worth of touring gross

It's her ability to put together great and real artistic quality first and foremost. People are drawn to her lyrics, her music, her energy, they identify with a lot of her experiences and did so for an incredible long time. That's what made Madonna unlike most others in her field

Well, at least this is another huge media outlet recognizing her legacy. I mean, they havent included Kylie, or Janet, or Mariah, FFS.

It's not a recognition at all

She doesn't need The Telegraph (a little above the Daily Mail level) to put her in any list

Every time a producer speaks about her they provide a detailed account of what Madonna brings to the studio

Her body of work is out there, speaking volumes on its own

That's what they should write about, not what THEY think of her or whether her music ripples the soul or not

It's a joke of a write-up, that's all :s98:

Yeah, she's no.1 but she's no good at what she does. :doh:

Madonna's songwriting > the journalist's writing.

Precisely what I meant, thanks :rotfl:

It's like: she's the biggest one, numerically speaking, never mind she's not that talented :lmao:

But for some odd reason, they include the Spice Girls at #20? To me the Spice Girls are kind of almost a novelty act that were only successful for a short period of time. I'm not a fan but i think Kylie, Janet or Mariah had a much longer lasting impact on music.

Guest HaveASit

@ XXL

Sure, couldnt agree more, the woman was induceted on the R&R HOF in her first year of elegibility. She is a living legend. At The same time, though, she is one of the most disrespected artists out there, as we can see most of time the media trashing her and questioning her Queen of Pop title. It sure doesnt make any harm to see some praise.

@Glinda

Thats my point tho.

Guest Pud Whacker

ok, so whats the problem here?

i suppose you all would prefer something like this?:

20. The Spice Girls

For one innocent moment in the 90s, Scary, Sporty, Baby, Ginger & Posh became the archetypes of a new kind of girl power, combining the cartoonish sexuality of teen pop culture with a post-feminist ladette sense of the supremacy of sisterhood. Then we got to know them better, and the bubble burst.

Guest Rachelle of London

She's at number 1 that speaks volumes

I dont see the need to pick the statement apart when it ends with this:

Madonna’s pop genius has carried her on a three decade winning streak that no other star, male or female, can match.

I hate these stupid lists.

Stephanie Germanotta, has the myth-making, self-marketing nous of Madonna, the musical chops of Elton John and the counter-culture boldness of David Bowie.:rolleyes: Lady Gaga could be considered the ultimate pop icon, a 21st century Ms Elvis :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

@ XXL

Sure, couldnt agree more, the woman was induceted on the R&R HOF in her first year of elegibility. She is a living legend. At The same time, though, she is one of the most disrespected artists out there, as we can see most of time the media trashing her and questioning her Queen of Pop title. It sure doesnt make any harm to see some praise.

I know what you mean with the expression "to see some praise" but it's hardly a good thing that she's getting HALF-praised or better put on top of a list only to be described with one huge long back-handed compliment. And this is obviously The Telegraph, it isn't exactly some sort of authority on the matter nor a serious list and if her ranking is merely based on the fact that she sold more than anybody else while making the case that "she's not a serious artist" it becomes such a boring clichè as far as Madonna is concerned, once again

And at time when even once respected sector publications such as RS, NME, Q magazine are playing into the payola field big time. Especially RS that's become a bit of a joke. Not very different from what happened to MTV or VH1, once the epithome of coolness

It's not that The Telegraph isn't questioning her Queen of Pop title, they are aknowledging it with reserve, while at the same time attributing it to PR/sales reason and completely looking down on the actual music which is ridiculous when you look at the quality of the music of some of the other acts on that list

If a song or performance like Mer Girl "barely ripples the soul" than I don't know which song does. God forbid she does a fun, care-free songs. And even then they shit all over the competition in terms of how well crafted they are

I hate these stupid lists.

Stephanie Germanotta, has the myth-making, self-marketing nous of Madonna, the musical chops of Elton John and the counter-culture boldness of David Bowie. :rolleyes: Lady Gaga could be considered the ultimate pop icon, a 21st century Ms Elvis :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:lmao:

Proof

"Madonna may not be the greatest songwriter, doesn't have music that ripples the soul .... " but then I read that Red One Gargamel has the musical chops of Elton John! Really?? :rotfl::rotfl:

Guest Pud Whacker

tina turner is way too high? what do you mean - her influence is still seen everywhere today. just because shes in her 70's doesnt erase everything she brought to to the table. this is a woman who was able to fill stadiums.

is diana ross on that list or have they completely abolished her?

Madonna has awesomeness songwriting skills deep emotional depth live to tell oh father I remember help me through my moms death take a bow like a prayer secret vogue ray of light frozen countless more that article was written by gaga ghostwriter.