Countdown to Rebel Heart Tour: OPENING NIGHT in less than 3 weeks! [contains spoilers]

Apples388

Guest Rachelle of London

No she has not...for Christ's sake. And even if she does have to please them...do you think she really gives that much of a fuck if she already said that her main focus is the thematical flow of the show? She's fucking Madonna. She will sell tickets no matter what.

That's why opening night has tickets available in every section. Relying on her name alone is the reason the album sales and chart positions have been low. Sorry but some fans need to wake up. Madonna cannot rely upon her fanbase alone to sell tickets. General public makes up at LEAST 3/4s of an audience. I've been to dozens of shows where I'm not even a fan of the artist, I bet others do the same.

The thing is she has to please the GP or else she will be playing to half empty arenas. She's already playing less dates in cities..GP were complaining and left early for MDNA. of course the lateness didn't help either too.

But I'm all for iconic to be the opener. No matter what she plays, I'm up for anything she does but she has to please GP too.

let's not pretend us hardcore fans dont love some like a prayer, into the groove or vogue :sassy:

I don't understand the logic of that. Why would anyone buy a ticket to a concert by an artist they aren't a fan of? Do people just have money to throw away?

I've never been to a concert where I'm not a fan of at least some of the artists' music and their general style of performing. People should know Madonna is not a greatest hits artist but puts on a theatre like show. If that is not what you want, why would you go?

I tend to enjoy most shows I go to for that reason. Very rarely do I go to a show I hate, just because if I'm not a fan I don't go in the first place. I'm a busy person so I don't have time to go to shows of fans I'm not a fan of. There are so many artists out there, why waste your time going to shows by artists you aren't a fan of? It doesn't make sense to me.

Guest Rachelle of London

I don't understand the logic of that. Why would anyone buy a ticket to a concert by an artist they aren't a fan of? Do people just have money to throw away?

I've never been to a concert where I'm not a fan of at least some of the artists' music and their general style of performing. People should know Madonna is not a greatest hits artist but puts on a theatre like show. If that is not what you want, why would you go?

I tend to enjoy most shows I go to for that reason. Very rarely do I go to a show I hate, just because if I'm not a fan I don't go in the first place. I'm a busy person so I don't have time to go to shows of fans I'm not a fan of. There are so many artists out there, why waste your time going to shows by artists you aren't a fan of? It doesn't make sense to me.

I like to experience new music. I've become a fan of many artists because I've seen them live and enjoyed the music. Gigs and concerts are not rare.

With concerts, I often feel deflated and like is that's all, if they perform some of their biggest hits at the beginning. You need to perform big hits but I think they are more exciting if you perform a couple of them in a row for a big finale.

Usually when an artist comes out on stage, I'm so excited to see them that I'm not that bothered if they perform a new song. But I like concerts to end on a big bang with some better known songs.

Guest Rachelle of London

Opening night is not sold out?!

Nope. Go in the Montreal thread. They've released more floor seats so if you wanna grab some nows the chance. Wish I could go :(

I like to experience new music. I've become a fan of many artists because I've seen them live and enjoyed the music. Gigs and concerts are not rare.

To me, it's the opposite. I find out about artists online and hear their recorded music and that makes we want to see them live. I've never gone to a live show where I'm not previously familiar with their music.

The only time I've seen an artist who I didn't know their music previously was if they were opening for an artist I do like.

I go to a lot of shows but it's because I've heard of at least some of their recorded music and think, hey that would be cool to hear live.

Nope. Go in the Montreal thread. They've released more floor seats so if you wanna grab some nows the chance. Wish I could go :(

I've never been to an opening night I am sure It would be a magical experience

Wish it could be sold out though :-(

Madonna is a living legend like Rolling Stones, McCartney, AC/DC and even U2. Not a fan of those bands, but I want to see them live Just because they are legends.

Madonna is a living legend like Rolling Stones, McCartney, AC/DC and even U2. Not a fan of those bands, but I want to see them live Just because they are legends.

Really? I've never seen any of those other artists live even though they are legends. They don't appeal to me at all. And their tickets are so expensive. I don't get why people would spend so much money to hear music they aren't a fan of.

Guest Rachelle of London

To me, it's the opposite. I find out about artists online and hear their recorded music and that makes we want to see them live. I've never gone to a live show where I'm not previously familiar with their music.

The only time I've seen an artist who I didn't know their music previously was if they were opening for an artist I do like.

I go to a lot of shows but it's because I've heard of at least some of their recorded music and think, hey that would be cool to hear live.

I get you. I'm the opposite. Artists like Madonna are also legends. Seeing them live are a part of many peoples "bucket lists" we as fans take it for granted but loads of people dream of "Seeing Madonna live" those ticket buyers cannot be underestimated at all, they make up a bulk of tickets.

I just looked at the seating for Washington DC. OUCH, those side sections are going to have gaps.

I honestly think it's the pricing tier. $358 for a side seat is b.s.

I was in a side section for the MDNA tour. I guess it depends on where you are but you could see well if you are close to the stage. It's actually better than some parts of the floor because the seats are graduated and so you can see if people stand up. Some parts of the floor aren't good if you are shorter because all these tall people are standing up and you can't see a thing.

Guest Rachelle of London

Knew I couldn't be the only one.

I get you. I'm the opposite. Artists like Madonna are also legends. Seeing them live are a part of many peoples "bucket lists" we as fans take it for granted but loads of people dream of "Seeing Madonna live" those ticket buyers cannot be underestimated at all, they make up a bulk of tickets.

I think there may be some people who buy for that reason, but not the bulk of the tickets. And I don't think there are too many people who aren't fans of at least some of Madonna's music over the years. I think she does need to do some of the older bigger hits which she always does, but I don't think she needs to do a greatest hits show or make that the #1 priority.

With concerts, I often feel deflated and like is that's all, if they perform some of their biggest hits at the beginning. You need to perform big hits but I think they are more exciting if you perform a couple of them in a row for a big finale.

Usually when an artist comes out on stage, I'm so excited to see them that I'm not that bothered if they perform a new song. But I like concerts to end on a big bang with some better known songs.

I'm going with a friend for example - and I exactly know she would've been totally disappointed with a setlist similar to MDNA's one. Ofc Madonna is the greatest entertainer alive, but even if she plays some oldies like Deeper & Deeper or WTG - those are (unfortunately) forgotten to a great extent by the GP already.

Just look at S&S or MDNA's Like a Prayer performances... They were magnificent! We need at least a few non-reinvented-beyond-recognition iconic classics to burn the roof off!

I can imagine a middle aged couple looking at Ticketmaster and seeing Madonna is coming and saying "hey we loved her in the 80s, takes me back to 6th grade, let's go see her" and then at the show it's "what the fuck is this?" But I think those types aren't going to tolerate more than 2 or 3 songs that they don't know.

Guest Rachelle of London

I think there may be some people who buy for that reason, but not the bulk of the tickets. And I don't think there are too many people who aren't fans of at least some of Madonna's music over the years. I think she does need to do some of the older bigger hits which she always does, but I don't think she needs to do a greatest hits show or make that the #1 priority.

No definitely not. My original point wasn't calling for M to do a greatest hits at all. I was just stating not everyone who goes to her shows are hardcore fans. A mix of old and new is perfect which she does all the time. I'm probably in the minority but I liked the MDNA setlist because the classics bar LAV all sounded near to the original. If she does a GH she would advertise as a GH Tour, not the RH Tour

I can imagine a middle aged couple looking at Ticketmaster and seeing Madonna is coming and saying "hey we loved her in the 80s, takes me back to 6th grade, let's go see her" and then at the show it's "what the fuck is this?" But I think those types aren't going to tolerate more than 2 or 3 songs that they don't know.

So what are you saying. Madonna has to do an all hits show with only 2 or 3 new songs to cater to just the middled aged couples? What I"m saying is she needs a balance between older bigger hits but mixed with the newer stuff. Something for the casual fans but also the new stuff or us hardcore fans.

No definitely not. My original point wasn't calling for M to do a greatest hits at all. I was just stating not everyone who goes to her shows are hardcore fans. A mix of old and new is perfect which she does all the time. I'm probably in the minority but I liked the MDNA setlist because the classics bar LAV all sounded near to the original. If she does a GH she would advertise as a GH Tour, not the RH Tour

I agree with you! I think the balance between old and new she currently does is great. But she shouldn't change the older ones too much to make them unrecognizable. Just modernize the production but not change the whole tempo of it. Maybe reinventing one like LAV but not more than that.

Songs like Express Yourself and LAP on MDNA were great because they weren't that different from the originals.

I actually thought MDNA was heavy on classics, compared to other tours since 2001 (except RIT).

I think that heavily depends on whether you count Hung Up or Papa in their forms as classics or not :semifunny:

I thought the arrangements on MDNA were all very interesting and cool. There were no "rawk" arrangements of old hits which was become a cliche at this point. The MDNA arrangements were creative instead of predictable. I hope she continues in that vein. From the rumored setlist, there don't seem to be any rock arrangements that I can tell. The setlist mentioned Rebel Heart with a guitar but I hope she does that acoustically not with the electric rock guitar.

Guest Rachelle of London

After all this LN contract nonsense I so want an anti tour. M with a band and backing singers. That's it. Small venues. A girl can dream. Never gonna happen.

After all this LN contract nonsense I so want an anti tour. M with a band and backing singers. That's it. Small venues. A girl can dream. Never gonna happen.

That would be amazing. With Madonna you never know what is going to happen. But I wouldn't want it to be all acoustic or ballads. That would be boring. With a good drummer and bassist, she could still do uptempo stuff. I think all good concerts have different tempos, uptempo, mid and ballads. Hopefully, not too small venues or no one can get tickets.

Does an anti tour mean just b sides and super obscure songs like Kylie did? I don't know about that. I think if she did a more scaled down tour she should still fit in a few more iconic well known songs like ray of Light or LIke A Prayer which can work with a band.

Guest Rachelle of London

That would be amazing. With Madonna you never know what is going to happen. But I wouldn't want it to be all acoustic or ballads. That would be boring. With a good drummer and bassist, she could still do uptempo stuff. I think all good concerts have different tempos, uptempo, mid and ballads. Hopefully, not too small venues or no one can get tickets.

Does an anti tour mean just b sides and super obscure songs like Kylie did? I don't know about that. I think if she did a more scaled down tour she should still fit in a few more iconic well known songs like ray of Light or LIke A Prayer which can work with a band.

Oh yeah defo uptempo numbers. A live band like Girlie Show. That would be awesome

People still arguing about hits vs new :lol::lol::lol:

And the Crapikan trio's rendition of "OYH" :confused:

People still arguing about hits vs new :lol::lol::lol:

And the Crapikan trio's rendition of "OYH" :confused:

Lolz this confuses me so much. It was in the original melody and completely recognizable. And with a live band to boot!

Open your Heart wasn't that different. It still had the same melody and still uptempo but with the Spanish rhythms. You could definitely still recognize it.

That's why opening night has tickets available in every section. Relying on her name alone is the reason the album sales and chart positions have been low. Sorry but some fans need to wake up. Madonna cannot rely upon her fanbase alone to sell tickets. General public makes up at LEAST 3/4s of an audience. I've been to dozens of shows where I'm not even a fan of the artist, I bet others do the same.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you SO much! Finally a reasonable post here.

You guys can tell other members to shut up, you can bash the general public all you want, but after all that won't change the fact Madonna NEEDS the approval of the GP to sell tickets. MDNA was an amazing show for us hardcore fans, we all know that, but there's a reason for the slow ticket sales this time around (and yes they ARE slow considering we're talking about one of the most succesful touring artists), and playing 6 unknown songs in a row or reducing one of your biggest hits to a 90 sec performance played a huge part in it.

Nobody is demanding M to play a greatest hits tour, I don't think anyone of us wants her to do that. But you have to realize if you want her to keep on playing setlists à la MDNA or even less appealing to the general audience, then don't be surprised we'll see her play in 5000-seaters just a few years down the road. A Madonna show is not a show just for the fans, it's a show for the general public AND, to a smaller degree, her fans.