Don McLean: Madonna is magnificent

XXL

20150806__p_BWSV-L-TAKEFIVE-MCLEAN~1_500

Don McLean: Writer of perhaps the most iconic pop song ever (1971's "American Pie," in case you're wondering), Don McLean will be playing the Mahaiwe Theater in Great Barrington on Saturday night. McLean has led an interesting career working with iconic folk artists like Pete Seeger and Jim Croce. McLean talked music, Madonna and Keith Richards with BWSV's Derek Gentile for a "Take Five" session from his home in Maine.

1. Q. Are there any contemporary artists you listen to these days?

A. Well, growing up, I loved listening to some of my peers: James Taylor, Van Morrison. But artists today? Not really. They all pretty much sound the same to me. Don't get me wrong. Some of them are great musicians. And I think it's great that they want to make music. But to me, it's all Diet Coke out there right now.

2. Q. What do you think that's about?

A. I think part of it is that a lot of these newcomers don't really know a lot about music. They know a lot about the kind of music they want to make. And that's fine. But look at a guy like Keith Richards. He's a rock-and -roll guy. But he knows a lot about a lot of different kinds of music: folk, blues, country. And that helps him when he writes his stuff.

3. Q. A few years ago, Madonna covered "American Pie." I'm sure you've heard it. What did you think of it?

A. I loved it. I thought it was outstanding. I thought Madonna did a great job with it. To me, she's an artist for the 20th and the 21st century. She's magnificent.

4. Q. You've been playing on the road for over five decades. How many dates do you play in a year these days?

A. I would say 70 or 80. That usually keeps me on the road from between 160 to 180 days a year.

5. Q. And it's still fun?

A.It is very much still fun. If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't do it. It's one of the few pleasures I have left these days.

As of press time, tickets were still available for McLean's Saturday night show.

Me too. Never got why a lot of fans and the stupid critics consider it an awful version. I actually prefer it over the original.

i love it. m's version is so humble just like his. another style but these days it would be seen as a very introspective folk style/ take on the original. people really hated it? i remember seeing it #1 everywhere

Madonna herself is clearly not fond of it though. Probably because it reminds her of the colossal flop that was The Next Best Thing.

"I did it as a favour to Rupert."

"I didn't put it on GHV2 as punishment."

Or something silly like that.

He also said : "I have received many gifts from God but this is the first time I have ever received a gift from a goddess."

:brenspin:

I like both versions. The song is a huge pop anthem but doesn't camp it up.

Precisely

Those that criticised it are the same obtuse people that would automatically look down on dance music or pop music simply because "oh it's dance music, it's pop music". Shows how much they fucking know about music. And Madonna has both a dance and pop sensibility like no other.

She took a song from 29 years before and made it appealing to teenagers and 20 yo/30 yo in the year 2000. Wonder what's wrong with that

And she took no random song but a song that had a particular melancholic vibe and theme to it and readjusted as a medium to speak about other types of family in the US, long before the year 2015 when what happened happened

Cue Nile Rodgers "Madonna has an incredible ear and incredible musical knowledge/taste, fantastic sense of melody, rythm"

My father is a MAJOR music snob (listens to Opera & Classical). I will never forget bringing the EU CD single home and playing it. Upon hearing the first minute, he said " Wow, Madonna not only hit every note perfectly but she sounded great. Did the bitch finally learn to sing"? Will never forget that moment. And yes, he got into the Ray of Light album immediately after.