During which era did you become a fan? (THIS IS A POLL)

Guest bluejean

During which era did you become a fan?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Which era did you become a fan

• Madonna
    • Like a Virgin
    • True Blue
    • Who's That Girl
    • Like a Prayer
    • I'm Breathless
    • The Immaculate Collection
    • Erotica
    • Bedtime Stories
    • Something To Remember
    • Evita
    • Ray of Light
    • Music
    • American Life
    • Confessions
    • Hard Candy
    • Celebration
    • MDNA
    • Rebel Heart

Holiday wasn't her first single here, but it was her first hit. In the US Borderline was released next, then Lucky Star. It was like a wave...Holiday, then Borderline, then Lucky Star. She was getting talked about all over the place. All the critics were comparing her to Cyndi Lauper.

But no one knew what Madonna looked like because we didn't have a video for Holiday. (Burning Up wasn't played on MTV until she became a success).

I remember hearing Holiday on the radio in 1983, I was talking on the phone with my friend. We went crazy. We were like, "Who the hell is this? It's awesome!" I stayed up all night waiting for them to play it again.

The first time I heard Holiday, it was like heaven. I can't describe it. Everything about that song touched me.

The next day at school, EVERYONE was talking about Madonna.

Then I saw what she looked like...I was mesmerized. There was a time when no one hated her. Everyone loved her. It was a magical time.

:wow:

Thanks WeboGirl. :clap: The original fans and wannabes are the coolest. Imagine being a fan since Everybody in 1982. She WAS known then, just was a bit more underground. It was a huge club hit and a single of the week in NME, she did loads of interviews with the English press which I have.

Borderline I believe has the record for her most weeks in the top 40 or something, which is amazing as it only peaked at #10.

I remember watching hte Virgin Tour on TV. Then, my aunt had the True Blue vinyl, I listened to it several times. Then came 'Like A Prayer.'

I was obsessed with the song and started to listen to it over and over, then I got the album, and the not so old songs too. My aunt she loves La Isla Bonita, and she played it in her guitar and I used to sing with her, and we fell in love with Spanish Eyes.

:laugh:

Remember it as if it happened yesterday

:)

I'm loving hearing everyone's stories!!! Especially those of you whose parents were fans. Your parents raised you well. lol :D

For the record, my mom was NOT a fan in the beginning, as she thought Madonna was a terrible influence on me (especially around the time the "Express Yourself" video came out. Too much sexual imagery for her 11 year old daughter! haha)! However, she eventually came around as we are seeing our second Madonna concert together this coming October. yay!

Guest Medoner

I find it interesting that people are picking Hard Candy and MDNA. How old are you and what did you think of Madonna before that era?

Im 19. My friend and his whole family were all big m fans but i always thought she was way overrated and not talented. Thats because i didnt know enough about her.

Hard candy came and blew me away! i loved every song. I thought it was such a solid package (funny later discovering most hate it) and of course fell in love with all the s&s footage.

My brother played a lot of celebration around our house and i was always like wth is this song a madonna song too?!? Like i didnt expect to know so many songs from her and they were all classics.

I was pretty much a real big stan around mdna/superbowl and loved it all. Some really bad frustrating things happened in my life and MDNA came out just in time to help me cope with it all, badass-ly.

Then i saw her and the show day is one of the best memories of my life. Everything went down perfectly. God i love that day, its been exactly 3 years since btw!

What impressed me was when I turned over LAV, the b-side, Stay, was brilliant too. Normally, b-sides were rubbish and I loved this song as much as LAV. I didn't really think much of it but then Material Girl came along and the video was just stunning so I got that 12".

It was then something clicked. I got the Lucky Star 12" which I'd never heard then Crazy For You came along and by then I was hooked.

When ITG dropped out of nowhere - I was amazed as I knew nothing about DSS even though it had been out in the US for a few months - this was possible pre-internet and gossip mags! There was all this Madonna music around. The radio started playing Borderline and other old songs and then Holiday re-charted. With the picture discs being issued, imports coming in, there was just so much M. It was amazing! I really wanted the Playboy and Penthouses too and saw them on the top shelf but was just too young to get them!

Well, she was always around, she's Madonna but I would say Ray in Light onwards is when I began to actually listen to her, not the album but Frozen & Ray of Light. Then Beautiful Stranger was a big thing. It was the late 90s is when me and my friend began to buy Madonna singles. We were 10 in 1999. :lmao: Then Music & American Life were loved by my friends and I too. As a teenager getting online I liked her more and more, so I bought the rest of her entire discography. The rest is history!

I always have a memory of Secret, the chorus. Alot of songs had that mmmmhmm in the early 90s. Remember this? :lmao:

Im 19. My friend and his whole family were all big m fans but i always thought she was way overrated and not talented. Thats because i didnt know enough about her.

Hard candy came and blew me away! i loved every song. I thought it was such a solid package (funny later discovering most hate it) and of course fell in love with all the s&s footage.

My brother played a lot of celebration around our house and i was always like wth is this song a madonna song too?!? Like i didnt expect to know so many songs from her and they were all classics.

I was pretty much a real big stan around mdna/superbowl and loved it all. Some really bad frustrating things happened in my life and MDNA came out just in time to help me cope with it all, badass-ly.

Then i saw her and the show day is one of the best memories of my life. Everything went down perfectly. God i love that day, its been exactly 3 years since btw!

yaaaassss!!! Some love for Hard Candy :drama:

when I saw Rain video

Oh God, the "Rain" video. This was my white whale back in the pre-YouTube age.

Like I said earlier, I became a fan in 1994 as she rolled out "I'll Remember," "Secret," and "Take a Bow." The first M album I bought was "Something to Remember."

I was radicalized when "Frozen" hit the radio years later. My scant mid-90s offerings were no longer enough -- I needed to consume everything she'd ever done, and FAST. I nicked my mother's old copy of "Deeper and Deeper" first chance I got. Loved it.

Then, in the run-up to the "Frozen" video premiere, she seemed to be on TV non-stop. MTV and VH1 had video marathons, TV specials new and old, and even re-broadcast concerts.

(Quick aside: I think it was around this time that VH1 re-aired The Girlie Show -- the first Madonna concert that I ever saw. To this day, I vividly recall watching TGS with the boy from next door, who I had a terrible crush on -- I thought he was so cute. All the kids in my high school said he was gay, so I started hanging out with him non-stop because I wanted desperately to make out with him. Anyway, he was there watching with me and he was so bored that he left. But I didn't give a F the boy I was crushing on left -- I was in love with this woman and had to watch this concert.)

Anyway, in the run-up to the "Frozen" video premiere, I think it was during VH1's weekly show where they counted down the top 10 videos of the week that they played a quick montage of the queen's old videos, with the VJ voicing over them like "She's always shocked and entertained us, so be sure to catch her new video's debut on MTV next week" or some shit like that. During the montage they played a clip of "Rain" and it was just so mesmerizing. But they didn't say what the video was or even play the music from the song in the background. I had no idea what it was, but I desperately wanted to see the whole thing. It took me months (maybe years) to finally see the video in some Madonna marathon, and I remember being so fucking excited to finally see this video -- and to learn what song it was for! -- that I probably screamed.

"Rain" will always hold a special place in my heart for that long search.

Excuse me, gotta go change my avatar to a "Rain" screenshot now.

It's weird for me:

I became a fan in 2011 but she had been on my radar since GI2M, I remember playing that song non-stop in 2008, wasn't a fan of hers though.

In 2009 I was on a waiting room and Celebration came on the TV and I was surprised because she looked so cool with all those dancers and I started admiring her, but I quickly forgot about it.

In 2011 I was browsing a bodybuilding forum and an user posted Hung Up, I decided to listen to it to know what the fuss was about Madonna and when I heard the ABBA sample I realized Hung Up was the name of a song I wanted to know since 2005 :lmao: , I started looking her up and became obsessed :madonna2:

Edited by AlanLongoria

Oh God, the "Rain" video. This was my white whale back in the pre-YouTube age.

Like I said earlier, I became a fan in 1994 as she rolled out "I'll Remember," "Secret," and "Take a Bow." The first M album I bought was "Something to Remember."

I was radicalized when "Frozen" hit the radio years later. My scant mid-90s offerings were no longer enough -- I needed to consume everything she'd ever done, and FAST. I nicked my mother's old copy of "Deeper and Deeper" first chance I got. Loved it.

Then, in the run-up to the "Frozen" video premiere, she seemed to be on TV non-stop. MTV and VH1 had video marathons, TV specials new and old, and even re-broadcast concerts.

(Quick aside: I think it was around this time that VH1 re-aired The Girlie Show -- the first Madonna concert that I ever saw. To this day, I vividly recall watching TGS with the boy from next door, who I had a terrible crush on -- I thought he was so cute. All the kids in my high school said he was gay, so I started hanging out with him non-stop because I wanted desperately to make out with him. Anyway, he was there watching with me and he was so bored that he left. But I didn't give a F the boy I was crushing on left -- I was in love with this woman and had to watch this concert.)

Anyway, in the run-up to the "Frozen" video premiere, I think it was during VH1's weekly show where they counted down the top 10 videos of the week that they played a quick montage of the queen's old videos, with the VJ voicing over them like "She's always shocked and entertained us, so be sure to catch her new video's debut on MTV next week" or some shit like that. During the montage they played a clip of "Rain" and it was just so mesmerizing. But they didn't say what the video was or even play the music from the song in the background. I had no idea what it was, but I desperately wanted to see the whole thing. It took me months (maybe years) to finally see the video in some Madonna marathon, and I remember being so fucking excited to finally see this video -- and to learn what song it was for! -- that I probably screamed.

"Rain" will always hold a special place in my heart for that long search.

Excuse me, gotta go change my avatar to a "Rain" screenshot now.

Love Mid 90s Madonna :)

I became a "casual" fan during the Ray of Light period, I say casual because I was only 6 at the time, but I remember loving Ray of Light and Frozen and catching them on MTV all the time. Then "Music" came out and it was played all the time on the radio and I loved it, but I am not sure at that age I was even sure it Music and Ray of Light were by the same woman.

Weirdly enough it was American Life when I became aware of the icon that was and is Madonna. I loved the title track, even though no one else my age did, and was obsessed with the video for Hollywood. Of course the VMA's that year were what sealed the deal for me; that kiss was everywhere and my 11 year old self never looked back. When Hung Up came out I was officially a loon for Madonna and dove deep into her previous music history and started having conversations with my parents about her. I watched the NBC Confessions Tour Special live and invited all my friends over.

I am so jealous of everyone that got to live through her entire music history and everyday at work I somehow seem to bring up Madonna to my coworkers and try to discover what it was actually like to experience the height of Madonna.

Like a virgin for me. I blame my older sister really, she was a casual fan and would watch music shows and listen to radio. I was only about 9, wasn't interested in music but her video just caught my eye and was fascinated with her ever since.

When New kids era started, my other sister said Madonna is over, no one cares for her. She was a huge New kids fan, I got pissed cause she said new kids have taken over :lmao: How wrong was she!!!!!!! They all come and vanish!

Grew up with her so it hurts when some ass says anything negative about her, yeah know it's a bit weird but shes my Queen.

I was so excited to have MTV in later years, I was so jealous of those who had it :lol:

Started in 1984--Madonna era. Built up slowly as the singles started coming out. From Holiday to Borderline and my fandom exploded by the time Lucky Star came out. I was just 13.

Like a virgin for me. I blame my older sister really, she was a casual fan and would watch music shows and listen to radio. I was only about 9, wasn't interested in music but her video just caught my eye and was fascinated with her ever since.

When New kids era started, my other sister said Madonna is over, no one cares for her. She was a huge New kids fan, I got pissed cause she said new kids have taken over :lmao: How wrong was she!!!!!!! They all come and vanish!

Grew up with her so it hurts when some ass says anything negative about her, yeah know it's a bit weird but shes my Queen.

I was so excited to have MTV in later years, I was so jealous of those who had it :lol:

lol

I was a Madonna AND New Kids nut in 1990/1991. There was even a magazine that was released in the Summer of 1990 that featured just the two of them. I saw it and my head exploded.

(I'm also still a New Kids fan, hehe)

For me it was a happy accident. Bought the 'You Must Love Me' cassette single for 99p just to get rid of the last bit of pocket money I'd been given. I had heard of Madonna but at that time I was more into my 'divas' such as Whitney! Got home, popped in the tape and have never looked back. I was about 13 at the time.

I find it interesting that people are picking Hard Candy and MDNA. How old are you and what did you think of Madonna before that era?

I picked Rebel Heart, but I'm 13 years old. Haha. Before that I never really heard about her, my family doesn't really like her.

Wow 13! That's awesome though.

How did you hear about Rebel Heart?

I was looking for some new music to listen to (new for me, anyway) and came across Like A Prayer. After that I watched almost all of her videos and found out that her new album leaked. Now she is one of my favourite artists. :)

I was looking for some new music to listen to (new for me, anyway) and came across Like A Prayer. After that I watched almost all of her videos and found out that her new album leaked. Now she is one of my favourite artists. :)

:clap: :clap:

Love it!! Welcome!! And congrats on having superior taste :clap: