During which era did you become a fan? (THIS IS A POLL)

Guest bluejean

During which era did you become a fan?  

249 members have voted

1. 1. Which era did you become a fan

• Madonna
    • Like a Virgin
    • True Blue
    • Who's That Girl
    • Like a Prayer
    • I'm Breathless
    • The Immaculate Collection
    • Erotica
    • Bedtime Stories
    • Something To Remember
    • Evita
    • Ray of Light
    • Music
    • American Life
    • Confessions
    • Hard Candy
    • Celebration
    • MDNA
    • Rebel Heart

The earliest I can remember being aware of her was 1986 with the Papa Don't Preach hoopla. I wasn't interested in music and there was just the occasional song that I liked. I started listening to pop music stations around the time La Isla Bonita was a single, and there were a ton of songs I ended up liking, but Madonna stood out to me as sounding real in a way that nobody else did.

I spent 88 catching up on all her stuff (which I thought was a lot and I had missed everything, lol) She was my favorite, but I still foolishly thought there was more to life than just Madonna. 1989 changed all of that, of course.

Madonna

Just like Pud. I was a fan even before I saw her face. I was twelve years old.

The first time I saw her was a picture in Star Hits magazine.

Are there really no RH recruits here?

My first memory of M was the "Material Girl" video and I knew who she was for most of my childhood, but it wasn't until LAP that I got converted. I got the cassette tape for my 10th birthday and I was never the same.

I remember when Borderline and Lucky Star were playing on the radio, I think summer of 1984 and I loved Lucky Star, then when Like a Virgin and Material Girl came out I was hooked. I used to love hearing her songs on the radio and on MTV.

Guest bluejean

My father was very supportive during the early days of my madonna collecting. He even bought me the Sex book!

I bet he did! :chuckle:

Madonna/Madonna was my introduction. Holiday on Countdown, Burning Up on Rage. I was so horned over her in that video.

I had the first album on cassette, we did a trip around Australia & that's what I wanted played all the time. Even dad really liked the album. When we bought our first proper stereo (amplifier, record player, equaliser, double tape deck & CD player) we could choose a few free CDs & I got Like A Virgin.

The rest is history.

First memory was the Like a Virgin video on TOTP, then I loved Material Girl when it was played at the funfair and I was on the big wheel :laugh:

Used to borrow my sister's Into The Groove 12 inch where I discovered fabulous b-sides Shoo-Be-Doo and Everybody. Was stunned by Papa Don't Preach when I heard it on the radio at my Aunt's on a hot day in the garden, such a change and such a brilliant song. Have memories of True Blue being played at primary school discos. Taped Open Your Heart off the charts.

Then came Like a Prayer and I was stunned by this, her best comeback ever - Pepsi etc. But I finally became an out of the closet fan as it were when I bought the CD single of Vogue with THAT extended mix, when I saw it in the shops a couple of months after release. My wall was covered with posters from Smash Hits etc. Was in awe listening to the legendary Radio 1 live broadcast of the Wembley show, with all the swear words (better than Letterman). Then I quickly bought up her entire catalogue.

my sister would rent the Virgin tour on a weekly basis and watch it with her girl fiends from school. I was obsessed with her choreography and over the top and soulful vocals, I was about 6 years old then. then when TB was released, she bought the true blue album and I was amazed at how the woman on the cover of true blue did not look anything like the woman from the virgin tour vhs. when YCD came out I became a huge fan when I heard the song spotlight and the rest of that remix album infected me and I never looked back since.

Hard to tell. I was born in 1983 and my sister was born in 1973. We shared a bedroom and the whole room was plastered with Madonna and Michael Jackson posters when I was growing up. So her music has always been the soundtrack of my life, even when I was a little child. The first video I truly remember was La Isla Bonita and I loved it. So I chose True Blue era in the poll even though I was soooo little back then. :)

My sister bought the Erotica cassette for me as a birthday present. I was only 9 yo. :laugh:

I never would've thought the majority of fans here have been here since the VERY beginning! Amazing!!

Equally as amazing is seeing that the often maligned eras from '08-'15 gained a number of fans.

LAP was the song that caught my eyes and ears. I remember watching the scene with the crosses on tv and thinking this is the best thing i ve ever heard or watched. And then i asked my older cousins about her and they played me stuff of hers like the True Blue singles and I was speachless cause i knew I ve heard all these songs before and loved them but didn't know who was singing them