MadonnaNation.com Forums

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure i'm the only one that finds both song and video from Björk incredibly beautiful but boring. I always skip that song when i listen to Homogenic.

The album version is boring, the video remix on the other hand is one of her best singles.

Wasn't Hollywood expensive with all the jewelry?

While Hollywood did include more than $20 million worth of jewels and costumes, according to VH1, it was almost certainly all borrowed. It's like how actresses wear jewelry on the red carpet - a house like Cartier will provide the jewels, security guards will accompany her down the carpet, and it all gets returned at the end of the day.

Yeah Warners have her old vids on yt now, before there was a dispute which meant the highly viewed Hung Up got its view counts reset when they pulled all their vids, like their other iconic artist Prince.

I don't understand the obsession with vevo. A lot of her videos are on her own channel and WBR has uploaded a few too.

I am sure i'm the only one that finds both song and video from Björk incredibly beautiful but boring. I always skip that song when i listen to Homogenic.

That's maybe because the album version is different from the video version. The video version is miles better.

Before this thread I'd have sworn that it was "Bedtime Story" that cost $5 million and "Express Yourself" that cost $2 million :confused:

I've always wondered this myself, but there have been rumors that "DAD" was massively over budget since before the video even debuted. At one point it was even rumored to be in excess of $6 million, which just can't be true.

It's a great video, but nothing in it makes me think "Wow, they must have spent a fortune to do this."

Why would Die Another Day cost so much?

Stupid action packed movies have a budget of $150 million or even more than $200 million these days. I know this also includes salaries and maybe marketing costs but compared to what movies cost, it doesn't feel surprising that DAD was so expensive to make, it's pure action with a lot of stuff getting broken.

Whoever brought up Björk's All Is Full Of Love might be on to something, it still looks so well done and stylish 16 years later. The construction of the robots must have cost a fortune.

I can't see how DAD would be so expensive and I find it one of her dullest videos too.

As DagIN said, the action sequences would have been expensive ... and horn mentioned CGI is expensive... There was a lot of CGI in "Die Another Day" because almost all of the fencing sequences required it whenever Madonna's face was visible on both the good/evil swordswomen.

There were rumors of re-shoots (Madonna joked about it in the behind-the-scenes, saying "MGM wasn't happy with the size of my breasts -- you know Bond girls ... BIG B**BS!" And although she was joking, there may have been an element of truth to the extended schedule.) The sets were massive. There was choreography (much of which wasn't really used in the opening interrogation scene -- you see it in the behind-the-scenes, but not much is in the final cut)...

I remember in the day or two before the DAD video premiered, some screen shots leaked -- one of them was of the portrait of Pierce Brosnan (as Bond) on the wall, with the sword piercing through the portrait at the level of his groin. Obviously that was altered, because the final cut had the sword going through the chest, in the region of the heart. Perhaps the Bond folks weren't so happy with being too iconoclastic/subversive with the Bond mythology, even though she was clearly playing around with the iconography in the museum, etc. So I don't know what else may have been a little contentious and may have caused some overtime in post-production.

Oh, and wasn't M injured on the set? Her hand during the fencing sequence or fighting in the museum? I thought we learned that after the fact.

(Sidebar: I was always annoyed that the DAD film DVD didn't include the full half-hour making of the music video that aired on MTV. They reduced it to, like, four or five minutes. Shame. I have VHS somewhere... I'm sure it's probably on YouTube somewhere, too. But it would be nice if it were officially archived on the DVD. Some day all those featurettes should end up on a comprehensive collection.)

Die Another Day used a lot of green screen. The making of never showed that.

I think the longer one (on MTV) showed just a bit of it -- like when she was going through the window from the white hall fencing scene into the Bond museum fight scene. As she was getting kicked through or whatever -- there was green screen visible behind it.

I think. My memory is really starting to go! But I didn't realize there was a LOT of green screen. Thanks for that!

Addition: Here's the longer making of (Part 1):

Not sure if we'll see any in here ... re-watching now.

Edit -- Okay, that was not very enlightening in terms of green screen. Sorry. Can't find the "part 2" from this uploader, and can't seem to find it anywhere else on YouTube. (Seems to have come originally from "all about Madonna"...) Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but it would have been between the fencing duel and the battle axe duel that I saw the green screen, which was definitely in a later segment.

But, in case anyone had never seen the longer version, at least you can see some new stuff in this video.

Also just noticed that Harris Savides worked on Die Another Day! Didn't recall that. He has sadly since passed away, but I know he was very well respected. I think M even said she wanted to work with him for W.E., but he was too expensive -- it was either Savides for cinematographer, or Arianne for stylist, and she said the fashion was just too important to the film, so she went with Arianne. Savides worked with Fincher and Romanek a lot, so he worked on several of M's other videos. Just never realized he worked on DAD (directed by Traktor).

Oh, awesome, whoop! Thanks for finding that pic! (I noticed just a little green border in one of the fencing shots in the official/abbreviated Making Of... so you can kind of tell... but it's not obvious if someone doesn't point it out, I think.)

Why would Die Another Day cost so much?

The Bond brand gave Madonna an absolute massive budget to basically go and make the video she wanted loaded with fantastic effects to help the film.

I love the BTS and DAD videos so much. Madonna has an unrivalled videography both in quality and quantity. It's interesting to notice how she and WBR stopped planning high budget videos as soon as sales started taking a nose dive for everybody. No point in wasting money

She already had her great moments of sheer video glory. And even with a considerably lower budget she delivered the goods as far as I'm concerned with 4M, GITM, GMAYL, GGW, TUTR and the three stunning RH era videos from this year. I'll always feel a bit sad about the GP never getting to experience the brilliance of the AL video in its original version. That video was also something else