MadonnaNation.com Forums

We all know Madonna is not only the queen of music but also the queen of music videos. We also know that Michael Jackson (and his sister) share the record for most expensive video ever for 'Scream' which cost around $7 million back in the day.

I am kind of obsessed with good music videos, especially if they tell a story, feature incredible effects or simply amazing choreography. So today I was bored and thought 'let's check out the wiki page again' even though I knew from my previous wiki visits that the top 5 always looked like this:

1) MJ - Scream

2) Madonna - Die Another Day

3) Madonna - Bedtime Story

4) Madonna - Express Yourself

5) MJ - Black or White

I definitely remember this because I thought it was very fitting that the both of them take up the entire top 5 with their videos.

Now suddenly, Bedtime Story, which was always listed in the top 5 with costs up to $5 million, has slipped out of the top 10 because someone changed the entry and lists the costs as $2 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_music_videos

The source article is written by a guy called Chris Willmann and was published in 1995. Now I wonder, who made the effort to search the entire internet for this article when you have thousands of sites claiming that the video cost $5 million, like these Forbes or Rolling Stones articles for example:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2014/08/24/the-top-5-most-expensive-music-videos-of-all-time/

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/making-of-madonnas-20-best-music-videos-20150225/hung-up-2005-20150224

There are also many sites which list Express Yourself's costs at $5 million. Yet again, someone found an old VH1 article as a source which claims the costs are somewhere in between $2 million and $5 million. I don't understand where this huge gap comes from?

So my questions are:

- Do we have any official source (interviews with the directors for example) which confirm the actual costs?

- Do we know how expensive Madonna's other videos were? I somehow can't believe that ALL of Madonna's videos (except for the 4 videos listed) were cheaper than the last entry on the list (which is Britney's horrid Piece Of Me video which had a budget of $500,000).

- Who pays for the videos, is it all the record company or sponsors or the artist itself?

It looks like someone is trying to sabotage Madonna's record breaking music video achievements and that's why I would like to investigate and find out the truth.

tumblr_m7yh5nW8MH1qb9pa3o1_500.gif

Another fun tidbit - Mark Romanek, director of Bedtime Story and Scream, said this about Scream: "I'd love to state again for the record that Guinness got it wrong and it's not the most expensive video ever made. There are two other videos of the era — both produced at Propaganda Films, incidentally [a hugely successful music video production company that Romanek worked with] — that cost millions more."

I'd love to find out which videos he was talking about...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frozen may cost a little bit too, it has some nice special effects.

And what does include in the costs ?

- special effects ?

- clothes ? costumes ?

- location ?

- cameras, special cameras ?

- director, stylists, people around ?

???

Video with tons of CGI will cost the most.

Example, the opening scene of the movie "The Mummy" cost 5 million just for that 1 minute CGI scene.

Scream is probably the most overrated video ever tbh. It's not THAT great and the song sucks.

Both Scream and Black or White are stupid vids with lots of money and lack of ideas.

Mark Romanek himself disputes the money spent to shoot "Scream" adding that he knows of videos from the same era that cost more. This is all speculative.

Mark Romanek himself disputes the money spent to shoot "Scream" adding that he knows of videos from the same era that cost more. This is all speculative.

Yes it is. But he is talking about videos that were shot by the production company he was working for back then, so i wouldn't necessarily dismiss his remarks as bogus.

I would like to know how much was spent on American Life. 4 Minutes looks more expensive than Piece Of Me, too.

I believe if Mark said so , he has a point. it was speculated by the MTV at the time how the money was spent,and it included how many guitars he broke. Ridiculous:

Computer-generated spaceship: $65,000
Breaking guitars: $53,000
Morphing artworks: $50,000
Michael's makeup: $3,000
Janet's makeup: $8,000 a day
Choreography: $40,000
Giant video screen: $80,000
Lighting: $175,000
Cost per day: $636,000 (about 11 days)
Total cost of 11 sets: $5,000,000

From the Rolling Stone M videos special:

On Express Yourself:

The first of Madonna's collaborations with David Fincher is also her best and one of the priciest (at $5 million, it was the most expensive video ever made at the time).

On Bedtime Story:

"Bedtime Story" cost a reported $5 million in 1995 dollars, and remains one of the form's priciest offerings.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/making-of-madonnas-20-best-music-videos-20150225

On Express Yourself:

The first of Madonna's collaborations with David Fincher is also her best and one of the priciest (at $5 million, it was the most expensive video ever made at the time).

On Bedtime Story:

"Bedtime Story" cost a reported $5 million in 1995 dollars, and remains one of the form's priciest offerings.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/making-of-madonnas-20-best-music-videos-20150225

I recall back then that they said that she had financed herself part of the video because she wanted something really, really big. Is that true? It was very difficult to have info then, we had to rely on our little tv programs.

Both Scream and Black or White are stupid vids with lots of money and lack of ideas.

That pretty much sums up his whole career ;)

I always think Oh Father would have cost a cool million/s. It has special effects, large studio scenery, fake snow etc

I think maybe Mark might be talking about Bjorks All is Full of Love? Only the greatest film clip ever bar none!!! To this day those robot effects remain amazing and never been topped in 20 years!!! Film clips of today as just generally shit.

Her tremendous success offered Fincher a then gargantuan budget of $5 million for the follow-up single, Express Yourselfa pop feminist anthem that Fincher wasted no time blowing up to extravagant heights.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/09/david-fincher-s-backseat-feminism.html

On Express Yourself:

On Bedtime Story:

Yup, I quoted the RS article which I believe should be count as a more reliable source than the odd article from 1995 which claims that Bedtime Story cost 2 million to make.

Is there a way to change the wikipedia entry and move Bedtime Story back into the top 3?

I know it's a silly issue but at the same time it pisses me off that someone tries to rewrite music video history with ridiculous claims.

Before this thread I'd have sworn that it was "Bedtime Story" that cost $5 million and "Express Yourself" that cost $2 million :confused:

Why is DAD so expensive?

I've always wondered this myself, but there have been rumors that "DAD" was massively over budget since before the video even debuted. At one point it was even rumored to be in excess of $6 million, which just can't be true.

It's a great video, but nothing in it makes me think "Wow, they must have spent a fortune to do this."

Before this thread I'd have sworn that it was "Bedtime Story" that cost $5 million and "Express Yourself" that cost $2 million :confused:

I've always wondered this myself, but there have been rumors that "DAD" was massively over budget since before the video even debuted. At one point it was even rumored to be in excess of $6 million, which just can't be true.

It's a great video, but nothing in it makes me think "Wow, they must have spent a fortune to do this."

Stupid action packed movies have a budget of $150 million or even more than $200 million these days. I know this also includes salaries and maybe marketing costs but compared to what movies cost, it doesn't feel surprising that DAD was so expensive to make, it's pure action with a lot of stuff getting broken.

Whoever brought up Björk's All Is Full Of Love might be on to something, it still looks so well done and stylish 16 years later. The construction of the robots must have cost a fortune.

I am sure i'm the only one that finds both song and video from Björk incredibly beautiful but boring. I always skip that song when i listen to Homogenic.

Guest Pud Whacker

I'm watching Black or White... :dead:

:lol: what a load of crap that it is.

ill give his this though, when i clicked to get it , no commercial. straight to the video.