Listening to "This Used To Be My Playground" (Movie Version)

Guest Pud Whacker

Is the 'movie' version different from the 'long' version?

The one on commercial CD single is the "single" version.

The one on commercial CD single B-side is the "long" version.

The one on Barcelona Gold Compilation CD is the "edit" version.

As you can see, none of them is the original version except for the one played in the movie.

I need a live version of this song in my life!! on tour, tv show, award show, from her bathroom or wherever

and I'll Remember too

Wow...there's an even longer version... ha, haven't seen the movie in a while (which reminds me, I should watch it again. One of my favs).

Does anyone have a rip of that movie version?

There's the film credits version which has the additional lyrics but also has sound effects in it and there is a clean version which leaked years ago that's nearly seven minutes long.

The shortest edit version (found on Barcelona Gold) was also included on a various artists Warner Music promo CD in Japan, credited as "This Used To Be My Playground (Short Version)".

The Instrumental and movie versions are an earlier mix of the song while the Short, Single and Long versions are different edits of a remix by Shep Pettibone that has never been released in full.

Though shorter than the Long Version, the Single Version is the only one to include the "I wish you were standing here with me" chorus at the end.

I've probably gone on record one too many times about how much I love this song, video, A League of Their Own, et al. I'm so proud that it is a #1. A great addition to the unparalleled portfolio of stunning soundtrack songs she has created or contributed to.

Thanks, Mattress, for recapping the different versions. Now I just need to compare the running time on the version that appeared on Something to Remember to figure out whether it was different from any/all of those or not.

It was odd that she ignored this, You'll See, and I'll Remember on Celebration, but ... I think some of us here correctly surmised that it was a way of keeping that release alive in a way. Although I'm not sure that matters much in this age of digital music, anymore.

TUTBMP is such a rare gem for her. Despite her recent admissions to sentiment and nostalgia during the RH promo, she has been fiercely forward-looking for much of her career and often stubbornly resists reflecting back on the past. So it's really special to have this song that just surrenders to that longing for the comfort of the past, which is unattainable (and thus is a perfect emotional landscape for the "Queen of Despair" to explore).

I love this song SO MUCH. It's a bit unusual 4 a number one hit, but that's what it is! :wow:

My mother adores it...c she gets it...she's never shown any love 4 a big Mariah Carey or Celine Dion

ballad...but slow Madge songs she loves...she's always asking me...who is she singing about when she

plays her ballads...she always says 2 me U can tell that it's real. My mama :inlove:

:inlove:

i love that acko.

shes so bizarre jonski!!!

i always have a fantasy each tour that This Used Be...starts and it goes through her early days in new york.

maybe one day!!!

:wow: Love that idea, actually.

And naturally this along with TAB is a MAMA LECTER favourite

(And Music)

:inlove:

Now I just need to compare the running time on the version that appeared on Something to Remember to figure out whether it was different from any/all of those or not.

Something To Remember has the Single Version on it. :)

Would die if she sings this song live. What a fantstic gem.

This Week in Billboard Chart History In 1992, Madonna at #1 with This Used to Be My Playground

http://t.co/L5uqN5jBlx http://t.co/ksEeAXk2F9

:wow:

It's Madonna's 10th #1 single on US Hot 100.

First female artist to have 10 #1 Hot 100 single in Billboard history.

It beats the #2 song by a very slim margin in sales.