Rebel Heart album - sound quality

Guest Medoner

Guest Medoner

Jeeez yall are gonna kill me for this one. I love RH i think it has so much amazing stuff from the epic lines to the brilliant unique rhythms and melodies BUT, i think the quality in terms of sound and vocals in most songs is well, terrible, and i definitely think it has to do with the tightened schedule because of the leaks.

I cant help it but notice how in some songs i cant even make up what the chick is saying. Its not a good thing we all guessed body shop lyrics for 2 months after release.

Anyways i dont wanna pick out any particular part and ruin a good song for anyone else. I just wanna know if anyone thinks the same or if i need to get my ears checked. For this album i would anyway lol

Edit- sound and production and all the stuff that makes the music sound clean lol

Well, 80% of the vocals on the Erotica album, are from the demo recordings. It's something she's been doing for a very long time. If she's satisfied with the vocal take, then there's no reason for her to do another take.

I don't have many complaints with the sound quality with this album. MDNA was a disaster, and Rebel Heart has vastly improved in that department. Yes, there's some distortion in Messiah, but I've moved past it. There's a lot more clarity in this record than MDNA. I could knit-pick it further, like the co-mixing done by Mike Dean, but I think the point has already been made on that.

Guest Medoner

I agree with this. Especially Iconic.

Still on my top 5 albums of hers. Still play the hell out of it.

I honestly think iconic is one of the songs with no lq issues at all! And yeh who doesnt love rh to some extent

Guest Medoner

Well, 80% of the vocals on the Erotica album, are from the demo recordings. MDNA was a disaster, and Rebel Heart has vastly improved in that department.

Good to know the demo thing! Yeah i definitely felt the same way with some of Mdna too!!!

Im just sick of feeling like her songs would be a million times better if they were flawless

production wise because other than that the songs are fucking flawless hahah.

EDIT - okay maybe not a million lol

The perfectionism and polishing of her tracks are one of the things i love most about M and i definitely feel while some of RH is flawless in every department (Devil Pray, Ghosttown) - sound quality wise too - most of it really doesnt stand on the same table as say, all of confessions does. Im not comparing the albums as a whole, just on the sound quality.

Guest Medoner

The volume in Hold Tight is one, and also the pops in HeartBreakCity

Hold Tight is a major one. Melody fucking slays every1s existence yet i dont want it to even be a single with that low ass vocal volume.

My only issue is the variation in volume of songs. I play it at work all the time, one song will be quiet & then 'bam' the next is friggin loud!

Otherwise I love this album & especially her vocals. I think not doing too many vocal takes is a good idea because you can start to lose the emotion.

This album probably would have blown my mind if it had been recorded onto analog.

Call me a dinosaur old woman, but I will always keep my sound scruples intact.

The production/mixing/mastering on this album seems well done, at least to my ears. However, I tend to skip Iconic because it is too loud and noisy and Hold Tight because it is too flat and the volume seems completely off compared to the rest. Oh and Wash All Over Me, too.

Yeah, the album is riddled with mixing and mastering issues, but the biggest offender is the title track. The drums sound overprocessed, just like Voices on HC. L4L has the same issue during the instrumental parts.

I haven't noticed a lot of sound problems on Rebel Heart, except the little problem in the last "I'll light a candle..." in Messiah and the very low volume of Wash All Over Me compared to the other songs.

:ohno:

bfd15202b9e9345ac5a28596a99dffde.jpg

Yaaaas hun the mixing/mastering is atrocious.

The hoarse vocals of LFL

Volume fluctuations on BIM

Hold Tight/Holy Water/Body Shop being quiet as fuck

Her singing through a fan on Iconic

The random blowout on 'Messiah'

A mess.

This could've been my Top 3 M record.

bfd15202b9e9345ac5a28596a99dffde.jpg

Guest bluejean

There are no problems with the vocals, production, mixing, mastering or anything at all which was all done by world class professionals. The problem is your ears. Next.

There are no problems with the vocals, production, mixing, mastering or anything at all which was all done by world class professionals. The problem is your ears. Next.

What a silly and childish thing to say

Guest Medoner

Lol slay

Well, it's because Demo Castellon did the mastering/mixing again. He really is the most amateurish idiot she has ever worked with imo.

The funny part is, that he mixes her voice the same way he mixes the vocals of his wife, Nelly Furtado who sounds like a squirrel most of the time. That results in him putting the emphasis of the vocals on the high notes which takes away the volume of her voice and makes it sound very thin. There's a fan made mix of L4L on M-Infinity which uses her unmixed demo vocals and my GOD it sounds fucking amazing!!!

It's her worst album in terms of sound quality. I love listening to my cds with my very expensive headphones, and i just could listen to RH the first time.

Living for Love is GLORIOUS, it's incredible how many layers and sounds, it's so rich. I think the vocals are mixed in a weird way, but i don't care because the sound is PRISTINE. Ghosttown is good too. The rest are more or less a mess, being WAOM a joke, the same with Rebel Heart (the track). If now is trendy to have distorssion, then the person who decided that that was trendy is retard. Is it trendy too that volume goes up in one song and the next one is so low that you feel you are listening to some mix tape from the 90s?

When you listen to the album withouth headphones, it's better and it's easy to get used to it and accept it.

Oh, and what about that moment in Messiah when the volume goes up and down like 2 seconds???? hahahaha. Mess.

Ironic

Iconic

Moronic

Guest Medoner

When you listen to the album withouth headphones, it's better and it's easy to get used to it and accept it.

I really agree with this! it all strolls pretty nicely as a whole on speakers

Guest Medoner

Surprised no1 has mentioned Unapologetic Bitch yet. Listening to the demos i thought holy shit this is awesome and i bet it will be one of my all time faves once we get it in hq. Then it gets an official release and it sounds exactly the same with its quality resembling a damn 2005 youtube video. I still love it tho, i just feel like it doesnt reach its deserving high point just because of some production issues

The only songs that jar for me are Beautiful Scars, Rebel Heart and Inside Out. They sound a bit compressed in places. Other than those I think the sound is pretty much spot on.

The vinyl is slightly better in terms of sound (especially BIM which is simply too compressed on the CD and not to mention the mp3), but still it is far from perfection. She should not use Demo to mix her songs anymore IMHO.

Edited by Cyber-Raga