Countdown to REBEL HEART Tour: less than a month to OPENING NIGHT!

Apples388

According to Mike McKnight, who was part of Madonna's live band from 1990-2005, "Skin" was actually part of the initial RIT setlist as of 19 February 2004, when rehearsals started. A missed opportunity, indeed!

Later on, it was replaced by "Nothing Really Matters", which was eventually dropped in favour of "Frozen".

Oh that's right! I'd forgotten they'd rehearsed it for RIT -- but I thought it "Skin" and "NRM" were both rehearsed in the spot that eventually went to "Nobody Knows Me?" (It's been so long since I thought about this stuff ...)

I remember reading that "Nothing Really Matters" was initially rehearsed for RIT and that apparently the "Nobody Knows Me" choreography was originally rehearsed for NRM..

Oh that's right! I'd forgotten they'd rehearsed it for RIT -- but I thought it "Skin" and "NRM" were both rehearsed in the spot that eventually went to "Nobody Knows Me?" (It's been so long since I thought about this stuff ...)

This was the initially rehearsed RIT setlist, i.e. the setlist as it was when band rehearsals started:

1. The Beast Within
  2. Vogue
  3. Swim
  4. Nobody Knows Me
  5. Express Yourself
  6. American Life
  7. Burning Up
  8. Love Profusion
  9. I'm So Stupid
  10. Hollywood
  11. The Devil Wouldn't Recognise You
  12. Hanky Panky
  13. Dress You Up
  14. Take a Bow
  15. Bedtime Story
  16. Like a Prayer
  17. Don't Tell Me
  18. Mother and Father
  19. Live to Tell
  20. Into the Groove OR Holiday
  21. Music
  22. Crazy for You
  23. Die Another Day

As we all know, 6 of those songs didn't make it to the final setlist, and the order was reshuffled.

I remember reading that "Nothing Really Matters" was initially rehearsed for RIT and that apparently the "Nobody Knows Me" choreography was originally rehearsed for NRM..

Aa far as I've heard, "Nothing Really Matters" and "Nobody Knows Me" were at one point both in the setlist, performed back-to-back with M alone on stage.

When NRM was removed from the setlist, parts of the choreography were incorporated into NKM.

This was the initially rehearsed RIT setlist, i.e. the setlist as it was when band rehearsals started:

1. The Beast Within
  2. Vogue
  3. Swim
  4. Nobody Knows Me
  5. Express Yourself
  6. American Life
  7. Burning Up
  8. Love Profusion
  9. I'm So Stupid
  10. Hollywood
  11. The Devil Wouldn't Recognise You
  12. Hanky Panky
  13. Dress You Up
  14. Take a Bow
  15. Bedtime Story
  16. Like a Prayer
  17. Don't Tell Me
  18. Mother and Father
  19. Live to Tell
  20. Into the Groove OR Holiday
  21. Music
  22. Crazy for You
  23. Die Another Day

As we all know, 6 of those songs didn't make it to the final setlist, and the order was reshuffled.

Thats a song from Hard Candy. And RIT was before that album release ? Did she want to surprise us ?

Aa far as I've heard, "Nothing Really Matters" and "Nobody Knows Me" were at one point both in the setlist, performed back-to-back with M alone on stage.

When NRM was removed from the setlist, parts of the choreography were incorporated into NKM.

Nothing Really Matters was only mentioned by fansites and other supposed insiders, never confirmed. As it was not on that provisional setlist you posted, nor Jamie King ever talked about it, so it's likely not even true. And surely you confused Skin with Swim. :)

Thats a song from Hard Candy. And RIT was before that album release ? Did she want to surprise us ?

It was written for a musical she was working on. I think in its original form it was country-tinged and acoustic. She reworked it for HC.

Rumor had it in 2003 - 2004 that Madonna was working on an original musical called "Hello Suckers" with various collaborators -- Pat Leonard and Joe Henry are the only two I can remember now. "Devil" emerged at this time as an acoustic track, as did "How High."

She rewrote "How High" with Bloodshy & Avant for release on "Confessions" and then rewrote "Devil" for "Hard Candy."

Some of the demo tracks from "Hello Suckers" have made it to the net, like this one -- which contains some lyrics that ended up "Voices."

This is one of my all-time favorite unreleased tracks. God, I wish this musical had come together :inlove:

OYH was just...okay. At least it was recognisable. But you have a song with THAT bassline and those kick drums and you turn it into a droning dirge? Just no. My abiding memory from Edinburgh is the whole stadium just keeping-on singing PDP while she did her HU intro thing :bad: Hopefully she heard it through her ear monitors.

It was atrocious! Not to mention the crime with HU as well.

My non loon friend who went said she or goosebumps and shivers when the PDP strings came on. Then boom over.

She's such a tease.

Nothing Really Matters was only mentioned by fansites and other supposed insiders, never confirmed. As it was not on that provisional setlist you posted, nor Jamie King ever talked about it, so it's likely not even true. And surely you confused Skin with Swim. :)

:janetflop:

Have they tightened up shop since the demo leaks in December? It seems like we're usually hearing all sorts of rumors by this point in the tour planning / rehearsals.

Definitely!

Usually, we'd know most, if not all, of the setlist by know, i.e. we'd have detailed reports by reliable sources.

This is one of my all-time favorite unreleased tracks. God, I wish this musical had come together :inlove:

Indeed!

The lyrics are so beautiful!

Treat me like a curse, then tell me I'm your savior

I'm living with a stranger I used to know so well

Waiting for your answer is a kind of torture

Could I grow accustomed to this kind of hell?

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Coming home from work I just saw a big tour poster on the side of a bus in Quebec city. It looks real good.

I enjoyed "Open your Heart" from the MDNA Tour but both my friends (who are casual Madonna fans, y'know the type that owns TIC, ROL and maybe one more album, never been to see her live etc.) who were with me at the London show were all "WTF" about it to be honest. Their memory of the MDNA show is a whole load of songs they didn't know, or old songs that had bizarre reinventions they didn't like, with 50 seconds of PDP that they loved and EY, LAP and Vogue which they went crazy for and wished the whole show was like that.

We've been over this one many times I know, but just saying....

You not alone, the people I went with are casual fans ( or were causal fans until the Hyde Park show now they say they will never pay a lot of money to see her again). For the first 4 songs they were like WTF??? She lost peoples attention because of the lack of a huge hit and then she literally destroyed HU her biggest song ever by reducing it to a dreadful dirge. When PDP started my friends screamed and danced and then went crazy to EY. For OYH they did get all the talk about crushed apples (anyone remember her speech before OYH?) They loved Vogue, LAP, HN and Celebration but didn't think the show was worth the money and left disappointed.

You not alone, the people I went with are casual fans ( or were causal fans until the Hyde Park show now they say they will never pay a lot of money to see her again). For the first 4 songs they were like WTF??? She lost peoples attention because of the lack of a huge hit and then she literally destroyed HU her biggest song ever by reducing it to a dreadful dirge. When PDP started my friends screamed and danced and then went crazy to EY. For OYH they did get all the talk about crushed apples (anyone remember her speech before OYH?) They loved Vogue, LAP, HN and Celebration but didn't think the show was worth the money and left disappointed.

I understand that people expect more hits but it's kind of disrespectful that she apparently lost peoples attention just because she opened the show with a couple of songs from the album she named the tour after. If they left disappointed because they didn't know the songs, then that's their problem.

You never hear these kinda stories with other artists, it seems. I went to see Björk yesterday, her tour is called Vulnicura Tour because she is touring her current album and out of a 16 track setlist she played 8 new songs. In fact, the first 5 songs were all from the new album but the whole audience was in awe and loved it (as far as I could tell).

Guest bluejean

I understand that people expect more hits but it's kind of disrespectful that she apparently lost peoples attention just because she opened the show with a couple of songs from the album she named the tour after. If they left disappointed because they didn't know the songs, then that's their problem.

You never hear these kinda stories with other artists, it seems. I went to see Björk yesterday, her tour is called Vulnicura Tour because she is touring her current album and out of a 16 track setlist she played 8 new songs. In fact, the first 5 songs were all from the new album but the whole audience was in awe and loved it (as far as I could tell).

Well wakey wakey, hand off snakey. Madonna is NOT Bjork. Bjork is an alternative artist with a cult following doing concerts for 2000 people. Madonna is a mainstream pop SUPERSTAR with dozens of hits performing to 15,000 plus per show including thousands of casual fans expecting hits. Very different.

Totally different artists and fanbases though, you must admit. Madonna IS in legacy act status at this point, and a large proportion of her attendees want to hear the hits - end of. Otherwise M will be playing to the same size live audience that Bjork does, except for $5000 a ticket, or not at all...

When PDP started my friends screamed and danced and then went crazy to EY.

Even the ROAR that the lil tiny Material Girl snippet got in GGW....

Anyway this is all academic. I'm pretty sure she knows what she has to do at this point.

news of madonna just reported that deeper and deeper will be part of the show..

I need that Blanche Devereaux water spraying herself gif post haste