Body of evidence

juliebean

I don't mind Swept away that much as it was a low budget, with not that many expectations kinda movie...

TNBT on the other hand, probably her worst acting job ever, terrible script, dirrction, etc

It was her first movie post Evita, i couldn't believe how bad the movie was, she had the chance to gain respect as an actress/movie star...

Obviously it wasn't all her fault, i just think she should've picked a totally different kind of movie at the time, more in the vein of Dangerous Games perhaps...

As a big Ferrara fan myself I've often wondered what she was thinking, especially after this LA Times interview. He did a remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers after Dangerous Game which Madonna would have been great in as slightly older rebellious teenage girl. The project wouldn't have been quite as poorly thought out, empty and mind numblingly dull with her for sure. :). But now that they have both settled down quite a bit and his statements re: her have gotten much softer the last couple years there is still a chance, at least for a music video....

One perceived strike against Madonna was her appearance in so many mundane films--"Shanghai Surprise," "Who's That Girl" and "Body of Evidence" among them. "I absolutely agree," she shrugged. She described her experiences on film sets as "soul destroying, with the exception of the movie I did with Abel Ferrara ["Dangerous Game"]. That destroyed my soul in a different way because it was such a violent emotional experience. But at least I felt I was going somewhere, exploring new territory. I feel everything else I've done has been rather trivial."

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-09-29/entertainment/ca-48560_1_madonna-films-evita/3

^

That's not necessarily true. It's all down to the film and director. Desperately Seeking Susan, Dick Tracy, A League Of Their Own, Evita, Snake Eyes all attest Madonna can be a really good actress. Even films like Who's That Girl and Body Of Evidence are not so bad.

The problem with Madonna is herself. She's such a big celebrity that when she's on screen people ( most of the times it's actually the fans) can't go past her fame and see her instead of the character she's playing.

Only film where I genuinely think her acting is crap is Swept Away; there are moments where she's credible and she can pull it off but others she's all over the place but THAT has to be addressed by the director after all.

They have always said Madonna can be a good actress if she plays herself so let her be herself and I'm sure even Madonna herself knows her limits and she picked roles which enabled her somehow. For example in Shangai Surpirse she was co starring along with Sean, in The Next Best Thing she was with Ruper Everett, obviously she was directed by her then husband when she did Swept Away. Those were roles in which she went out of her comfort zone and maybe she hoped her personal relationships would have helped her through.

On the other hand, in Desperately Seeking Susan, Snake Eyes, Evita, Who's That Girl, Body Of Evidence, Dick Tracy and A League Of Their Own somehow she played herself.

^

That's not necessarily true. It's all down to the film and director. Desperately Seeking Susan, Dick Tracy, A League Of Their Own, Evita, Snake Eyes all attest Madonna can be a really good actress. Even films like Who's That Girl and Body Of Evidence are not so bad.

The problem with Madonna is herself. She's such a big celebrity that when she's on screen people ( most of the times it's actually the fans) can't go past her fame and see her instead of the character she's playing.

Only film where I genuinely think her acting is crap is Swept Away; there are moments where she's credible and she can pull it off but others she's all over the place but THAT has to be addressed by the director after all.

They have always said Madonna can be a good actress if she plays herself so let her be herself and I'm sure even Madonna herself knows her limits and she picked roles which enabled her somehow. For example in Shangai Surpirse she was co starring along with Sean, in The Next Best Thing she was with Ruper Everett, obviously she was directed by her then husband when she did Swept Away. Those were roles in which she went out of her comfort zone and maybe she hoped her personal relationships would have helped her through.

On the other hand, in Desperately Seeking Susan, Snake Eyes, Evita, Who's That Girl, Body Of Evidence, Dick Tracy and A League Of Their Own somehow she played herself.

Dangerous Game was so intelligent and offbeat for several reasons but I think the main factor was that the actors were all encouraged to improvise and the scripted dialogue was completely edited out of the finished film. Which weakened the central storyline but showed what she could do with a more relaxed and focused approach to acting. Ferrara has said that he believes Madonna felt 'betrayed' by that decision which is no doubt true but with another director so sharp and restless in that idiosyncratic rock n roll kind of way and playing a semi autobiograpical role there may be limited circumstances under which it could be repeatable.

New book by Chris Wade on the subject if anyone is interested..... :/

http://drownedmadonna.com/madonna-on-screen-new-book-about-all-madonna-movies-starring-and-directing/20150820

Madonna: On Screen” is a new book written by Chris Wade about all her movies, starring and directing, with pictures and info.
Although Madonna‘s music has been universally successful for over 30 years, with critically acclaimed albums and Number 1 hits, her film career is a very different matter. With her debut starring role in Desperately Seeking Susan (1985) released just as her second album Like A Virgin was making her a star, it looked as if movie stardom would be achieved on a similar scale. But with critically mauled and ill received flops such as Shanghai Surprise and Who’s That Girl, Madonna’s film career has not always been a smooth ride. In this book, Chris Wade explores all her movies, from those early starring roles, her supporting roles in big hits like Dick Tracy and A League Of Their Own, the critically savaged bomb Swept Away and her more recent directorial work. Featuring insights into the films and a host of images, the book delves deep into her troubled relationship with cinema and the film critics themselves, but also points out her talent on screen. Of her role in Desperately Seeking Susan, screenwriter Leora Barish told me “She slipped into the role and it fit her like a glove because it was kind of like her own bad-girl Boy Toy persona at the time, and on top of that, she rocked it. I think she especially connected with the amoral, pseudo criminal, selfish, powerful, curious, improvisational qualities of Susan.”

Chris Wade is an English writer and musician. He runs the acclaimed music project Dodson and Fogg (which has featured Nigel Planer, Scarlet Rivera and others), worked with Rik Mayall on his comedy audiobook Cutey and the Sofaguard, and has written numerous fiction and nonfiction books.

Email: wisdomtwinsbooks@hotmail.com

“Madonna: On Screen” is already available. You can buy the book on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/kindle/dp/B013P ... eos_detail (it is possible to read a preview in the Kindle edition),
on Lulu http://www.lulu.com/shop/chris-wade/mad ... 24672.html,
and on Wisdom Twins Books.http://wisdomtwinsbooks.weebly.com/books.html

collage-madonna-on-screen-1050x640.jpg

there must be some special lighting requests in her contracts because it show in quite a few movies. especially tnbt

and the better ones [dangerous game] they dont use the special lights and the result is way more natural

As long as there are one or two that are truly amazing it is going to end up a wash career-wise. Most people who see even small clips of a credible performance are going to assume she in fact can act and has mostly gotten tripped up by horrible roles. The problem is getting the good ones seen when Madonna herself has mostly promoted the parts like TNBT that are, to put it charitably, astonishingly bad...:/