Body of evidence

juliebean

Madonna was brilliant in Dangerous Game. Her only truly great perf.

I need to see it again now. It has been years. So funny everyone wonders what the hell happened and then blames the other failures on her bad choices of parts.lol. I know she and Abel didn't get along at all which could be part of it....I also wonder if there were scenes that were improvisational or where she didn't realize she was being filmed (??? drugs could be a factor too....).

Edited by elayman

Abel cut out a lot of her scenes. She was upset cause the script told a different story than the finished film. There's a sex scene between her and Russo that got cut that was pretty intense. Some photos of it leaked several years ago, wouldn't be surprise if it leaks this year.

And yes improv was used. Mostly during the scene where Russo calls Sarah a shit actress and a slut.

it's like she tried to emulate how old Hollywood actresses would act...and that was not good...we need a thread for Dangerous Game...the true masterpiece theatre, lol.

Guest Pud Whacker

Yes. I'm not sure how good that would've been. Sharon Stone was amazing in that movie.

I've always said that Sharon Stone had the acting career Madonna COULD'VE had if she had made better choices. Sharon isn't exactly the most successful, talented or beloved actress, but because she was in 2-3 really impactful movies (and was pretty good in them) she'll always have some Hollywood cred. Madonna just kept on settling for the stupidest projects.

madonna would have wanted to 'soften the character', make her more 'likeable' to show that, like her, she has many facets to her personality. :lmao:

Anyone knows the name of the soundtrack from this trailer?

Something from the middle of side B of Enigma's MCMXC aD. Can't rememeber the title.

madonna would have wanted to 'soften the character', make her more 'likeable' to show that, like her, she has many facets to her personality. :lmao:

Ugh. Like her making her character a yoga teacher in The Next Worst Thing. Wtf Madonna. You're not getting paid to play yourself.

Dangerous Game was probably a traumatic experience for all involved but it goes to show you that a director who doesn't put up with Madonna's shit will push a phenomenal performance out of her. Can you imagine if Madonna was in a Fincher movie? He'd put her right in line.

She's not really an actress though at the end of the day. She's a performer and a creator and i am glad she sees that now.

She definitely seems to do better as a director. People didn't give her a chance with W.E. but I thought it was a decent movie and I was pretty proud of her.

Guest Pud Whacker

Ugh. Like her making her character a yoga teacher in The Next Worst Thing. Wtf Madonna. You're not getting paid to play yourself.

Dangerous Game was probably a traumatic experience for all involved but it goes to show you that a director who doesn't put up with Madonna's shit will push a phenomenal performance out of her. Can you imagine if Madonna was in a Fincher movie? He'd put her right in line.

She's not really an actress though at the end of the day. She's a performer and a creator and i am glad she sees that now.

She definitely seems to do better as a director. People didn't give her a chance with W.E. but I thought it was a decent movie and I was pretty proud of her.

i mean in one regard, i find her to be the most tremendous actresses ever. as ive discussed for years, the greatest silent film actress the world has ever seen. i also believe that her 'style' of acting was beamed into everyones living rooms, every hour on the hour for years via mtv and it gave birth to a madonna style of acting. girls and women were watching intently. monkey see, monkey do.

she's one of the greatest sitting models the world of photography has ever seen, as well. couple that with MTV editing and a brilliant performances were made by her. the camera is her lover there - she stares down the camera.

In motion picture, the camera has proven to be her enemy, almost like she fears it. its watching her, not her watching it. and i believe, her insecurities shine through because shes not controlling it like a beast.

she 'joked' in an interview about swept away that she was most concerned with was if guy shot her cellulite. i believe her. she was more concentrated on that than the vulnerabilities of her character.

Yeah that's what I mean. She's far too self conscious and self aware to get immersed into a role and it shows.

She's watchable and fun in some movies (League, Dick Tracy, Susan). I think it's becuz she's basically just playing a caricature of her own image as a pop star. In Dangerous Game she was brilliant, still kind of playing herself, but seemed like she had loosened up. And let's face it Evita was a Madonna music video stretched to 2 hours.

But when she's bad, she's horribly bad. Next Worst Thing, Swept Away. Oh well. Everytime I see Madonna on celluloid it's fascinating. I actually love watching her early 90s movies becuz she's so gorgeous. From Dick Tracy all the way to Girl 6. She definitely looks like a movie star on camera.

Guest Pud Whacker

Yeah that's what I mean. She's far too self conscious and self aware to get immersed into a role and it shows.

She's watchable and fun in some movies (League, Dick Tracy, Susan). I think it's becuz she's basically just playing a caricature of her own image as a pop star. In Dangerous Game she was brilliant, still kind of playing herself, but seemed like she had loosened up. And let's face it Evita was a Madonna music video stretched to 2 hours.

But when she's bad, she's horribly bad. Next Worst Thing, Swept Away. Oh well. Everytime I see Madonna on celluloid it's fascinating. I actually love watching her early 90s movies becuz she's so gorgeous. From Dick Tracy all the way to Girl 6. She definitely looks like a movie star on camera.

oh yes. its unfortunate that she didnt make more movies in 1985/6. shes gorgeous in Shanghai Surprise. and i actually like that movie! :lol:

i think shes always better in a supporting role.

evita is a long form music video. i wish she had camped it up more there. been more maniacal in some scenes.

Absolutely! Bang on.

i am!!! in my cinema/entertainment tumblr. :rotfl:

http://cinegif.tumblr.com/

I didn't realize this was you! I've been following for a little while. Good stuff!

In looking at the posts, I was all, "oh man, this person must be a Madonna fan!" lol I'm slow . :zombie:

Oh it's a must! As soon as M's scenes are over, TURN IT OFF! There is no need to go into Harvey's storyline in the second half of the film.

No way!!! Then you miss her best scene in the whole movie when her character in Mother of Mirrors finally tells her abusive partner where to go. It's her best acting ever and you conpletely forget that she's Madonna. Then watching her shake and the terror in her face just as she is about to be shot is incredible. Abel truly bludgeoned this performance out of her and its a shame he fucked the movie up because it could have restored her credibility to an extent in Hollywood and created a good buzz for her. No wonder she was so pissed at him, I imagine she was devastated at the time and very anxious about the state of her career. Little did she know that she had nothing to worry about.

Sorry, but Harvey's storyline in the end of the film with him and his wife is just a bore. M ain't involved, I always turn it off after that.

as daring as she was in her music career and videos, she really didnt take the same chances in film. even a film like The Next Best Thing was accused of trying to be Julia Roberts. i used to argue these things constantly saying, NO NO NO - but now theres really no denying it.

what was most shocking to me regarding her acting career is when her and guy remade swept away. hes known for his macho films and she as the worlds provocateur. heavy in the K, they get together and remove all the sexual politics that actually made lina's so marvelous. head scratching moment.

I don't mind Swept away that much as it was a low budget, with not that many expectations kinda movie...

TNBT on the other hand, probably her worst acting job ever, terrible script, dirrction, etc

It was her first movie post Evita, i couldn't believe how bad the movie was, she had the chance to gain respect as an actress/movie star...

Obviously it wasn't all her fault, i just think she should've picked a totally different kind of movie at the time, more in the vein of Dangerous Games perhaps...

Swept Away is a tragedy. I wish she did it in like mid 90s. And I don't like her dialogue delivery.

I'm not saying it's good, i just think she really wanted to work with Guy, the movie had a minimal budget, if you see the making off special, you can tell that she had a good time while shooting it, it almost looks like a bit of work in the midst of a family vacation...so i take iy for what it is really...

I don't take that movie as seriously as the others so i don't really mind her acting, kinda like seeing her on SNL...

TNBT had big expectations, big premiere with A listers such as Julia Roberts, a cast with hot actors, a reknowned director...and it resulted in the worst movie of her career IMHO.

"Music of the heart" was intended to begin shooting in late 1998, right?

Who knows what would've happened had she chosen this role over TNBT...it's not a great movie but i would've prefered seeing her doing a darker carachter...

Guest Pud Whacker

^ the Budget doesn't matter. Some of the greatest films of all time were made on a dime. As I stated, the worlds provacateur and guy macho movie maker removed the sexual politics that made the original fabulous. She should have done Goldie Hawns Overboard instead.

You say 'obviously' it wasn't her fault. Who's fault was it? Where would you place the blame?

^ the Budget doesn't matter. Some of the greatest films of all time were made on a dime. As I stated, the worlds provacateur and guy macho movie maker removed the sexual politics that made the original fabulous. She should have done Goldie Hawns Overboard instead.

You say 'obviously' it wasn't her fault. Who's fault was it? Where would you place the blame?

You missed my point, i meant that i take SA for what it is, a small budget crappy movie good enough to pass the time...

Of course i agree with you about great movies with low budget, i just don't think she expected much from it, and i don't think anyone who went to see SA expected more than seeing her dancing in a bikinni, showing off her body, and playing a bitch...

And of course it was her fault as with TNBT and probably most of her movies...i meant Ruppeet Everett re wrote the script with her, and his acting is just as bad as hers...direction is bad too...everything about that movie was terrible...

And regardless of the budget and all, i really think she's had much worse movies and acting performances such as TNBT

Guest Pud Whacker

Madonna should do the film version of Sunset Boulevard (1000th time I've made this request). Would be a huge hit I think.

the musical version? yes.

on every level. when she gets out of herself for awhile and reemerges, its always been marvelous, in the past.

lets not forget during blond ambition, she was running back and forth for editing Dick Tracy, making Vogue, doing photo shoots with Helmut Newton and Herb Ritts...all those things were a product of Breathless. she had wanted to stay brunette and begged Beatty to allow it, he said NO! :lol:

imagine life without Blond Ambition.

Guest Pud Whacker

I didn't realize this was you! I've been following for a little while. Good stuff!

In looking at the posts, I was all, "oh man, this person must be a Madonna fan!" lol I'm slow . :zombie:

who are you on the tumblr? xo

who are you on the tumblr? xo

I'm anastaza.

I hardly ever post anything original, though. I just like to re-blog all the things!! lol :D