Happy 30th birthday Into The Groove!

loomer

DSS was released as early as the 29th March 85, so you'd have gotten your first Groovy glimpse then. I wonder what the wannabe loons did having to hold out months of constant radio rotation with all her other songs!

005.jpg

Dannii knows best

This was my jam back in the summer of 2003!

i hate the piano break Shep Pettibone added to be honest, it worked very well live on the WTG tour but on record it transformed a new wave track into a latino disco boring mess

I have to agree. I can appreciate it on YCD and yes, the live version on WTG was great but NO version beats the original.......in fact, my favorite is the version that actually plays in the DSS credits. It is very slightly different than the Angel b-side version.

Groove is my all time fav dance track.

That bass line!

Those backing vocals!

'And you can dance, for inspiration'

'Just let the music set you free''

'Only when I'm dancin can I feel this free'

And of course -

'Now I know you're mine'

I have to agree. I can appreciate it on YCD and yes, the live version on WTG was great but NO version beats the original.......in fact, my favorite is the version that actually plays in the DSS credits. It is very slightly different than the Angel b-side version.

I agree that DSS credits version is so pure, the first take. Even a little off key at certain moments. Its the best!! My fave gym track.

Infectious. Timeless. Iconic.

Love this song! Definitely in my top 5 of Madonna songs.

Yeah, it was so good they just used the demo pretty much.

Today is actually the 30th anniversary of Live Aid to be exact, which featured that performance of the exploding Groove.

Madonna was so huge at this point that she was added to the bill of the legendary concert, playing the Philadelphia side with a rare appearance of her hair grown out to brunette.

259139-Madonna_Live_Aid.jpg

liveaid_dvd.jpg

1985-live-aid-1.jpg

I'm not into the piano break, I don't like how TIC version begins either, the single version is the best version, pure 80s pop!

ITG is her best selling single in the UK with over 800K sold.

It just rather embarrassingly came up on the quiz show Pointless, when the question was "best selling singles in the UK by female artists", someone naturally said Madonna and it was the wrong answer :o She of course has never had a million selling single in the UK, the one chart achievement that eluded her.

But what a great song to be her best selling. :inlove:

Yet another of her songs that is more than its fun, frothy surface.

The power of music. Strong, forthright female. Linking dancing to sex- and the innuendo of "groove." The orgasmic "Now I know you're mine..." section near the end.

I could go on, but that's sufficient. :gent:

Downtown NY contemporaries Sonic Youth knew Madonna from her early days and rechristened themselves Ciccone Youth for this groovy desecration. Naturally this was more up NME's alley and they gave it the 3rd best single of 1986.

Love it! Here's a Fact Of The Day I wrote for MadonnaTribe years ago:

Sonic Youth‘s 1988 side-project Ciccone Youth uses a xerox of a Herb Ritts shot of Madonna as the cover and samples Madonna’s vocals on their cover of Into The Groove.

At the time it was released it was on an indie label so it was possible that it was overlooked by Madonna’s camp. But when it was re-released on Geffen there’s no way they could get away with this without approval.

But now the liner notes in the new, remastered/expanded edition of Sonic Youth’s Daydream Nation confirm that Madonna herself actually approved the original indie release of Ciccone Youth:

“The album cover [of Ciccone Youth], a b&w xerox enlargement of Madonna‘s face, was a brilliant and contemporary design. Sonic Youth had utilized found images in album covers before, but this was testing the limit. We sent copies of the vinyl album to Warners to be passed on to Madonna via her sister who worked in the art department there. Word came back that she had no problem with it acknowledging she remembered the band from her NYC Danceteria days.”

CicconeYouth.JPG

http://www.madonnatribe.com/decade/2013/ciccone-youth-2/

The Into The Groovey/Burning Up single (which was released the year before the full Ciccone Youth album and included a different version of Burning Up than the one on the album) used this classic bit of xerox cover art:

R-1188046-1274514207.jpeg.jpg

Edited by sonicboy