Alek Keshishian: All the unseen footage of “Truth or Dare” is lost

Platinum Gold

It's been missing for a long time now.

Someone from that tour project commented on the footage, mainly the 35mm Paris concert, has been lost. I think it was peter morse who said this.

It's a shame. I blame Mirimax.

Oh don't get me started on Celery... I played it the other day (all my Vadge are in storage so I downloaded this again for a quick fix when I need it) and while some of the mixes chosen was a bit jarring, I didn't notice (or listen closely enough) to hear the BIG glitches exclusive to this release.

I really think a lot of archival master tapes are lost so they just did their own audacity edits. The fans have the lion's share of these mixes on many of the often horrible sounding CD singles. Not to mention some fan made edits. God I miss that Bellenger forum.

Master tapes lost?

They threw out the first album masters! Literally! The crazy money hungry MadonnaCatalog guy dumpster dived for those and has them!

We've all been saying this for years but I'll say it again, SHE NEEDS AN ARCHIVER!!!!

He needs 2 give some fans in NYC an office for a couple of months.

Give them a temp contract, facilities & a modest budget 2 Sherlock

Holmes the shit out of her back catalog 2 collect everything

in one space/Archive. Track all her shit down. She's the Queen,

it's our history!

295fd547d729d3ec0a40ba0de2a44a0d.jpg

That's it, I'm calling Graceland & asking them how it's done.

I'm going to Asbury Park to go suck Shep Pettibones dick for whatever stuff he's got. Then I'll track down Jellybean at whatever gay bar he's DJing at suck him off. I don't care if he's fat, I'll get what he's got and put it in the vault.

I thought she made Stuart Price digitize all her old shit? :confused:

Yeah he did everything in 2001 for the tour, all for future reference. That later assisted him in 2003 when he was remastering all the albums in 4.1 DVD audio for that 20th anniversary box set that was shelved. Caresse cared about this stuff, she did try! :/ RIP

Guest Pud Whacker

Master tapes lost?

They threw out the first album masters! Literally! The crazy money hungry MadonnaCatalog guy dumpster dived for those and has them!

We've all been saying this for years but I'll say it again, SHE NEEDS AN ARCHIVER!!!!

i will gladly be the archivist!!!

Master tapes lost?

Omg what??!?

I'm going to Asbury Park to go suck Shep Pettibones dick for whatever stuff he's got. Then I'll track down Jellybean at whatever gay bar he's DJing at suck him off. I don't care if he's fat, I'll get what he's got and put it in the vault.

:laugh::laugh:

Master tapes lost?

Seriously? How did they do the 2001 remaster then? Or is that a stupid question

Also, what happened to the MadonnaCatalog guy? I used to go on that site like every day

If they ever do find the 35mm Blond Ambition footage, I hope they don't let Madonna anywhere near the editing suite, if the MDNA Tour film is anything to go by!

Just read the full article. I didn't know Madonna originally asked Alek to do IGTTYAS. That would have been interesting, a true sequel to In Bed with Madonna/Truth or Dare.

I don't believe for a second the footage got lost.. Yes it is very possible he signed off the rights of the extra shooting to Madonna's management and for that reason I have to believe Madonna must have it somewhere in her basement.

The fact he mentioned that the extra shooting shows more and more bitchness ( I'd love to watch it cuz I love Madonna when she's a bitch - highly entertaining and funny lol) means Madonna wouldn't be so willing to show that especially now that she's a sort of different person.

On a personal note, I don't know how to feel about watching extras from a film I love and find it groundbreaking. I'm a Twin Peaks fan and I consider Fire Walk With Me a true masterpiece and I have been always dying to watch the unseen scenes and last year they happened to come out on a Blu Ray set but I was so disappointed. All in all the reasons why directors don't include all the shooting in a film is simply because not all scenes are good or fit the story. The way Truth Or Dare came out is so emotional, wild, funny and ground breaking. Certainly I'm proud Madonna did that project and I loved it when he said the only rule she gave him was "Don't make me do anything!" That's what a reality show truly is! Fuck Kim Kardashian and all the other fake reality TV shows. Once again Madonna did it first, better and with integrity.

Guest Rachelle of London

Weren't there rumours that they got destroyed in 9/11? Madonna had offices at WTC didn't she?

He needs 2 give some fans in NYC an office for a couple of months.

Give them a temp contract, facilities & a modest budget 2 Sherlock

Holmes the shit out of her back catalog 2 collect everything

in one space/Archive. Track all her shit down. She's the Queen,

it's our history!

295fd547d729d3ec0a40ba0de2a44a0d.jpg

That's it, I'm calling Graceland & asking them how it's done.

They need to get SuperDeluxeEdition or Demon on the case, they've sorted all the suede, Belinda Carlisle, Lisa stansfield, tears for fears archive stuff etc to great reviews

IGTTYAS was unecessary. Except for the Rocco/Lola interraction scenes the rest is so boring. As Alek said it felt like she wanted to apologize for Truth or Dare. The best scenes are the audition and super tiny bits of rehearsals. Shooting the creative process would have been much much more interesting since it is what is lacking in Truth or Dare.

I have always been interested in this and have posted in the past about what may or may not exist in the archives with regards videos of Madonna concerts.

It's really interesting to read what Alek says. Sounds like 'Madonna's Management' are our only hope with regards the ToD stuff. I just wonder what effort has ever been put into archiving stuff like this (effort and expense is required).

I wonder what other concert videos are also correctly archived.

Every show she has done on every tour since 1987 was professionally filmed by a company called Nocturne Productions. They used multiple cameras at every show to project the concert to giant venue screens and each of these will have been recorded and the recordings handed over to Madonna's team. Just wonder what they properly archived.

When it came to Michael Jackson's 1988 Bad Tour, only these Nocturne venue-screen recordings existed - and one of them was eventually released on DVD for sale a couple of years ago.

This statement regarding what happened with the Nocturne concert videos of MJs tour is really interesting. It is almost certain that the same procedure existed between Nocturne and Madonna on WTG, BA, GS and DW tours. And so it is possible / likely that proshot videos of every single show on those tours still exists somewhere. That thought fascinates me.

http://mjstar.co.uk/index.php/2012/06/statement-from-the-estate-wembley-concert-reassurance/

From CT onwards, Nocturne screen footage was recorded digitally and given to Madonna btw.

Weren't there rumours that they got destroyed in 9/11? Madonna had offices at WTC didn't she?

There must be back ups, I work in TV and all footage is backed up several times and stored in separate areas, surely this must be the same for music?

There must be back ups, I work in TV and all footage is backed up several times and stored in separate areas, surely this must be the same for music?

Is it not the case that's not for everything. Like some live news reports are wiped/taped over like they did back in the 70s etc?

Is it not the case that's not for everything. Like some live news reports are wiped/taped over like they did back in the 70s etc?

I'm not sure about news, I work in entertainment, but news footage is used a lot in archive shows so it must be stored.

If everything was lost then how did they reissue the vinyls the other year? It's clear they can't even locate artwork as they used scanned versions.

A crazy amount of TV stuff no longer exists in archives. It's sad.

I even know of some BBC Madonna stuff that seemingly was NEVER kept!!

Fans often have to take the lead on this. No one else cares much.

I talked to a former senior WB exec about this in depth a few years back (who worked with Madonna in the 80s) and it amazed me what WB apparently do not have!

Big Brother rolling footage is archived

Regarding archive footage, one of my favourite bands left EMI and went independent, the band has all the archive footage and back catalogue, and they are slowly reissueing it all, maybe Madonna has it all, I hope She does the same one day.

I don't believe for a second the footage got lost.. Yes it is very possible he signed off the rights of the extra shooting to Madonna's management and for that reason I have to believe Madonna must have it somewhere in her basement.

The fact he mentioned that the extra shooting shows more and more bitchness ( I'd love to watch it cuz I love Madonna when she's a bitch - highly entertaining and funny lol) means Madonna wouldn't be so willing to show that especially now that she's a sort of different person.

On a personal note, I don't know how to feel about watching extras from a film I love and find it groundbreaking. I'm a Twin Peaks fan and I consider Fire Walk With Me a true masterpiece and I have been always dying to watch the unseen scenes and last year they happened to come out on a Blu Ray set but I was so disappointed. All in all the reasons why directors don't include all the shooting in a film is simply because not all scenes are good or fit the story. The way Truth Or Dare came out is so emotional, wild, funny and ground breaking. Certainly I'm proud Madonna did that project and I loved it when he said the only rule she gave him was "Don't make me do anything!" That's what a reality show truly is! Fuck Kim Kardashian and all the other fake reality TV shows. Once again Madonna did it first, better and with integrity.

Yes but in Truth or Dare's case it's different it's not 'scripted fiction'. So seeing footage of Madonna in any kind of situation

would b a fascinating watch. It don't need the movie 2 recut, but a disc with extra scenes would b everything.

Also

thebeatswithin: Cutting back to David Fincher’s involvement in the original concept of doing a concert movie – did he actually shoot any of the shows in Japan?

“Yes, he shot all of the Tokyo shows.”

thebeatswithin: On 35mm film?

“We always shot on 35mm film in those days. The concert was shot on 35mm and the documentary was shot on 16mm in black and white.”

///////

thebeatswithin: Did you shoot the full shows on all three nights at Bercy?

“Yeah, we shot the full concerts over all three nights and the footage was the most phenomenal concert footage ever shot, without question. I was super proud of that.

Big Brother rolling footage is archived

That's a relief. ;-)

I would like to think most stuff is now, but am amazed that some live stuff by major broadcasters still isn't!

And it's the older stuff I worry about. Such a shame!