Alek Keshishian: All the unseen footage of “Truth or Dare” is lost

Platinum Gold

https://www.queerty.com/madonnas-truth-or-dare-changed-a-generation-of-gay-people-the-director-take-us-behind-the-scenes-20150711

excerpt from the article

How did you decide what to include in the final edit?

It was all for the purpose of storytelling. I ended up not using a lot of the bed interviews because it wasn’t necessary for the story I was telling. The first cut I showed her was like three-and-a-half hours long. I clawed it back, but Harvey Weinstein still said I needed to take another 15 minutes out. I said I wouldn’t. He said Jeffrey Katzenberg [then a top-ranking exec at Disney] said we needed 15 minutes cut and I said that’s why Jeffrey Katzenberg doesn’t have this movie. It isn’t a fictional film where we can just lose 15 minutes without the balance being fucked up. If you don’t have the Chanel scene, you don’t have that levity. You don’t get to experience the mayhem that happens around her, along with the playfulness. If I’d changed anything in the final cut, the whole thing would have collapsed in my opinion.

You mentioned that you shot more than 200 hours of film. For a lot of gay people that missing footage is like the holy grail. There’s a snippet or two on the internet, but will fans ever get to see all of it?

What’s weird is that we don’t even know where it is. That’s how fucked up it is. We were trying to get a print to the Legacy Project, Miramax owned it then Miramax was bought by Disney, then Disney decided to shut down Miramax and sold the library to these random distributors. So the person who put out the Blu-ray doesn’t even have the neg for us to maintain. I’ve been dealing with Madonna’s management, asking “Where the fuck is this stuff?” It must be in some storage somewhere. Unfortunately, it was handed over to her management so I don’t know. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s discovered a hundred years from now in some office.

:(

I wonder what that means for the recordings of the Paris shows of the Blond Ambition Tour :mellow: :scared: :cries:

I reckon they've lost a lot of stuff, probably why they re-cut Erotica for Celebration instead of using the actual 7" edit.They messed that up too!

Ugh, I hate that the footage is lost. That makes me SO incredibly sad. I hope it is found someday (not 100 years from now because I want to SEE IT. lol).

Guest Rocco Papa

Hmmm I was wondering why the 2012 Blu-Ray/DVD release didn't have any extra features on it. Now it makes sense.

Also, for people complaining about the "for a lot of gay people" remark , please calm down. It's a gay publication looking to aim at a gay audience. They're just trying to reach their target audience. Granted, it sounds silly, but their intentions are good.

He must still be in Madonna's circle since he worked on W.E. The first cut is the one that found its way on illegal videos sold in Times square at the time of the release. The voice over is different, there are extre footage. I wonder why this never got leaked online except for a few bits.

I reckon they've lost a lot of stuff, probably why they re-cut Erotica for Celebration instead of using the actual 7" edit.They messed that up too!

Yeah either that or they were just too lazy to find the right mixes so chopped up the album versions instead. I noticed just today that you can hear the first few beats of Open Your Heart right at the end of the Celebration version of Papa Don't Preach as it fades down.

When Madonna said that she needed to find the tapes when asked about a Blond Ambition Tour DVD I thought she was just being flippant but this makes me think it might be something they explored but then couldn't find the footage.

He needs 2 give some fans in NYC an office for a couple of months.

Give them a temp contract, facilities & a modest budget 2 Sherlock

Holmes the shit out of her back catalog 2 collect everything

in one space/Archive. Track all her shit down. She's the Queen,

it's our history!

295fd547d729d3ec0a40ba0de2a44a0d.jpg

That's it, I'm calling Graceland & asking them how it's done.

Yeah either that or they were just too lazy to find the right mixes so chopped up the album versions instead. I noticed just today that you can hear the first few beats of Open Your Heart right at the end of the Celebration version of Papa Don't Preach as it fades down.

Oh don't get me started on Celery... I played it the other day (all my Vadge are in storage so I downloaded this again for a quick fix when I need it) and while some of the mixes chosen was a bit jarring, I didn't notice (or listen closely enough) to hear the BIG glitches exclusive to this release.

I really think a lot of archival master tapes are lost so they just did their own audacity edits. The fans have the lion's share of these mixes on many of the often horrible sounding CD singles. Not to mention some fan made edits. God I miss that Bellenger forum.