Oh god not the same argument again.

She made pure pop music in the 80's.

She collaborated with Prince, Bjork and Babyface at their commercial peak.

Erotica/Bedtime Stories had trendy elements of the early 90's.

She played the safe ballad route throughout mid 90's.

Ray Of Light was kind of experimental but let's not act like electronica was not an underground trend at that time.

Music was probably her only "risky" record and American Life followed the same formula.

Confessions was considered a "mainstream" comeback.

Hard Candy had like 3 trendy songs. The Pharrell tracks sounded fresh as fuck.

MDNA is just, ..... well let me just not go there.....

Rebel Heart doesn't even follow any trend but it sounds very modern.

Seriously this woman has always been making contemporary music and that's what separate herself from other legacy acts who make the same music over and over again. Why do the Esther fans always act like she's fucking Bjork?

This.

So what's your point? That she wants to stay young? And what? No one has a problem with male celebrities who keep doing what they've been doing... But a woman HAS to acknowledge her age as soon as she hits 40... Don't you think it's too hypocritical and double standard?Are you even a Madonna fan? I mean haven't you learned anything?

And talking about her artistic choices throughout her career.. Your opinion seems to be lying on her willingness to try new things or to integrate herself to what is "popular" - without mentioning she probably started that thing herself 20 years ago but no one cared or they weren't willing to recognise it but today it's the norm if not a necessity. And why is Madonna desperate when she works with younger singers or rappers but Beyoncé collaborating with Niki Minaj or Jay Z is not? Or Rihanna working with Justin Timberlake or Chris Brown is not? Or Katy Perry with Kanye West or Snoop Dogg is not? Isn't it double standard?

It's always looked to me that ever since she hit the 40 years mark Madonna became incredibly criticised. Everything she does is viewed with criticism and mistrust... She's 56 but she does look after herself.. She's got an incredible figure and even mentally wise she's so open minded and accepting I don't see why her age has to come as a matter of discussion at every turn. Who cares? Kids in their teens act as if they are adults; they actually think they are and it's been going on since I can remember but no one's got a problem with that! But an older person has to be viewed ridiculous or desperate if they don't succumb to the standard of society on what a 50 yo person is supposed to behave. Wake up people! It's society that is evil and they have been putting poison in our minds NOT our inner instincts and ways of being.

And to respond to your criticism of BIM... and I won't repeat this again: YES BIM IS ridiculous. It's meant to be... It's ridiculous like all the criticisms Madonna had to indure throughout her career since day 1. Madonna responded her harsh critics by playing their same stupid game. But in the end it doesn't matter because hey bitch, she's Madonna! Can't you get the joke now?

:bow:

So what's your point? That she wants to stay young? And what? No one has a problem with male celebrities who keep doing what they've been doing... But a woman HAS to acknowledge her age as soon as she hits 40... Don't you think it's too hypocritical and double standard?Are you even a Madonna fan? I mean haven't you learned anything?

And talking about her artistic choices throughout her career.. Your opinion seems to be lying on her willingness to try new things or to integrate herself to what is "popular" - without mentioning she probably started that thing herself 20 years ago but no one cared or they weren't willing to recognise it but today it's the norm if not a necessity. And why is Madonna desperate when she works with younger singers or rappers but Beyoncé collaborating with Niki Minaj or Jay Z is not? Or Rihanna working with Justin Timberlake or Chris Brown is not? Or Katy Perry with Kanye West or Snoop Dogg is not? Isn't it double standard?

It's always looked to me that ever since she hit the 40 years mark Madonna became incredibly criticised. Everything she does is viewed with criticism and mistrust... She's 56 but she does look after herself.. She's got an incredible figure and even mentally wise she's so open minded and accepting I don't see why her age has to come as a matter of discussion at every turn. Who cares? Kids in their teens act as if they are adults; they actually think they are and it's been going on since I can remember but no one's got a problem with that! But an older person has to be viewed ridiculous or desperate if they don't succumb to the standard of society on what a 50 yo person is supposed to behave. Wake up people! It's society that is evil and they have been putting poison in our minds NOT our inner instincts and ways of being.

And to respond to your criticism of BIM... and I won't repeat this again: YES BIM IS ridiculous. It's meant to be... It's ridiculous like all the criticisms Madonna had to indure throughout her career since day 1. Madonna responded her harsh critics by playing their same stupid game. But in the end it doesn't matter because hey bitch, she's Madonna! Can't you get the joke now?

PREACH OMG

Hard Candy is amazing.

• Finally, she decided to step away from the dancey/electronic thing and try something for a change. The sound of Hard Candy was new for her. She doesn't have to create a new genre of music with every album.
  • Working with underground producers can be overrated sometimes. If we're going to criticize that in Hard Candy, we might as well slag off Bedtime Stories. But we can't and we don't.
  • Sure, Timbo and Timber and Pharrell might have given pieces of their flavour to Madonna but it's unfair to say Madonna just accepted that with no say at all. Look at the lyrics of Candy Shop, 4 Minutes (an upbeat song about saving the world compared to most upbeat songs about booty, sex, dicks, and more sex), Give It 2 Me (pure Madonna), and Beat Goes On.
  • It's not right to say she didn't put a personal touch on the album. Have you listened to Miles Away? Incredible? Devil? Voices? These songs were reflective of what Madonna's life was like at that time.
  • Like Ai Papi said above, she can't keep doing the same thing over and over. She can't release another electronica album. She can't be overtly political or critical or Estherical all the time. She's had years being that. It was time for her landscape to change. It was time for her sugar pussy to take charge again.
  • The HC cover is pure Madonna. I'm surprised some fans dislike it.
  • Madonna has evolved as a person. I think during True Blue to Erotica she felt unstoppable. She was at the peak of her career and she had creative control. Then the backlash happened. She retreated, turned to introspection and religion to understand it all. By the American Life era, she was still introspective but was looking at the world as a different place by then. She's not a musician anymore. She wanted to get involved with world issues.
  • And I believed after going through that circle, Madonna has embraced that she needs to be connected with other people. She's getting older. She has children already. She's been on top of the world but nothing can match connectedness with other people. That's why we got Madonna working with with JT, Pharrell, Kanye, Katy, Miley, Nicki, and whoever is next. She's no longer the Erotica Madonna you adored. She's no longer the Ray of Light Madonna you worshipped. She's come down from it all and wants to have more people in her life. She's a human being for god's sake. I don't think there's anything wrong with her working with other musicians. It's what other people say about the humanised Madonna that's wrong anyway. People keep shoving her in a box where she's all alone but she's far gone from that already.

I agree with every word of this 100%. BTW American Life album was incredible and the Hard Candy album cover was True Blue 2.0. You rock. Glad we do not have to put up with a Janet"esque" (boring repetition) or Prince"esque" album (monothematic) album from Madonna. Different and diverse every time. And anyone that criticizes touring Madonna is a complete idiot with no credibility whatsoever. Long live the Queen.

XOXO

LHakaLH, I doubt that anyone disrespects your right to share your opinion. However, when you indicate in your original post twice that your intent is not to bash Madonna, and yet carry on with YOUR personal projections and assumptions about her thoughts and choices, insist on perceived failures, and show your contempt for her by using descriptors such as "desperate", "pathetic", "crappy" "being a fool on stage", I can't help but wonder about your actual motive for starting up this thread. It is disingenuous because you disguise it as "introspection" (as tagged by you) but the only message that I am getting from you is that she has clearly not lived up to YOUR stifling expectations and that we should all be embarrassed for her.

Just my opinion but you sound completely stuck on a particular Madonna persona and cannot let go of it. I understand you wanting the best reception for every creative concept and execution from her but it's all relative, isn't it? I believe that by clinging on to your idealized version of her and all the things that frustrate you will definitely prevent you from ever being able to fully appreciate and celebrate her.

You asked in your original post why she keeps doing certain things and what BIM is doing for her career. I look at the video comments and am appalled at the number of ageist and asinine remarks but at the same time, I'm heartened to see many words of admiration and encouragement for her to keep doing what she is doing. BIM may not become a mega music hit in today's manipulated music landscape but it certainly adds to her career legacy as being a force of nature as well as a multidimensional and complex artiste who continues to challenge and affect public perception.

Good to hear that you do like most of the RH album, and I hope you'll look beyond and reconsider the necessity to box her in.

Bless this post.

giphy.gif

It's the same group of people who post regularly on those IMDB boards and are annoying as you could imagine. Everything is constant criticism from her looks, energy, single choices, tours etc.

I mean example on the remix video:

"Pathetic how a song called “Bitch I’m Madonna” (which is, I guess, supposed to show her greatness and attitude) displays the worst of her: humping walls and spreading her legs like some horny dog and needing cameos from other celebs to be relevant."

:madgemanson: