Rebel Heart Tour 2015-2016: rumours / preparations thread.

Apples388

Matthew Rettenmund (longtime NY fan and author of Encyclopedia Madonnica) has just posted on Facebook:

"I can't say much of what I know about the REBEL HEART TOUR, but it has TONS of oldies ..."

"Many '80s hits."

I guess this means post-1990 stuff will be largely ignored just like on MDNA Tour. That one had Human Nature, Hung Up & Candy Shop, now we're likely to have Deeper And Deeper, Frozen/Ray Of Light & Music/Don't Tell Me I guess.

This. She is not and has never been an oldies act and I've always admired that about her. If she's giving into the demand and does the Immaculate Collection live I will be extremely disappointed in her and won't buy a ticket as I initially intended to.

:megamanson:

A tour full of classic hits is exactly what she needs right now. Re-invention tour was the turning point of her career and gave the COADF era a very solid PR groundwork.

Oh I really hope she doesn't do any of her own songs. All her music is shit. I don't want to spend money to hear songs that I've already heard on the CDs.

Yeah and if she does, how so desperate of her! Trying to stay relevant, how dare she play her own songs! :lmao:

Guest Rachelle of London

I hope she doesn't sing in English, she does that in every tour. No Spanish or French songs either. Those are OVAH!

okay, so she may get an eyeroll and a few sentences of critique from the usual haters about singing her hits instead of RH songs, but with that, she'll make a lot of fans happy and remind them why they love M and everyone is gonna be able to sing the songs with her.

maybe its because Reinvention Tour is my first Madonna concert, but it was such a joy to see people sing the songs and how everyone walked out with a HAPPY face and not a disappointed one.

Know Im gonna get shit for this but I want a stripped down version of Bitch Im Madonna

OK, so Jimmy and Cruncher are horrified at the prospect of Madonna including a lot of hits in her live show and everyone else is beyond excited. Jimmy hasn't even bought a ticket to the show yet (!!!???!!!) and will refuse to attend the show if it doesn't feature a set list to his liking (which is what many of the general public are likely to do if it's a RH heavy set list). Two unhappy people and hundreds of thousands of ecstatic ones...I think I know which road I'd prefer to take if I were Madonna...!

Cruncher, I'm sorry you don't "feel the magic" when you hear Madonna's catalogue any more. For me, every song is still as magical as it was the day I first heard it and I have no doubt that this will continue to be my reality until the day I die (or go deaf....God forbid...!!!). I also love her new music and can't wait to hear what she comes up with next, because she never ceases to amaze me. She's the only artist who manages to strike a deep chord with me every time she releases something new.

Matthew Rettenmund (longtime NY fan and author of Encyclopedia Madonnica) has just posted on Facebook:

"I can't say much of what I know about the REBEL HEART TOUR, but it has TONS of oldies ..."

"Many '80s hits."

So, according to French website MCM, this is the setlist of the Rebel Heart Tour:

Iconic

Hold Tight

Ghosttown

Love Don't Live Here Anymore

HeartBreakCity

Wash All Over Me / Rain

Joan of Arc

Devil Pray

Between the Bars

Deeper and Deeper

Justify My Love

Inside Out

Like a Virgin

S.E.X

Holy Water / Vogue

Dress You Up / Give Me All Your Luvin'

Into the Groove

True Blue

Body Shop

Unapologetic Bitch

La Isla Bonita

Who's That Girl

Bitch I'm Madonna

Rebel Heart

Living For Love

This is what Matthew had to say on this rumoured setlist, in a reply to a Facebook comment:

"Some looks very right, not sure on some of the order, though not all of the order is wrong, either."

Guest CzarnaWisnia

+1

Madonna wouldn't be Madonna without songs like "LAV" and "ITG" and "Vogue" -- these songs are part of the catalogue that made her the biggest star in the world and who she is today. Part of what her live shows an event and not just a rock show is that she takes these generation-defining megahits and breathes new life into them.

Exactly. It's the reason she can have a song called Bitch I'm Madonna. She doesn't "bitch-i'm-madonna" around flashing her Nothing Really Matters, Love Spent and Easy ride cards. She has to honor her rich catalogue, it has power.

Please don't buy a ticket for the sake of the people standing next to you. Don't ruin it for the "fags" that gonna lose their shit over brilliant songs that made us fans of hers right from the start! And for those who have never seen her perform those songs.

+1

Exactly. It's the reason she can have a song called Bitch I'm Madonna. She doesn't "bitch-i'm-madonna" around flashing her Nothing Really Matters, Love Spent and Easy ride cards. She has to honor her rich catalogue, it has power.

Exactly. Amazing post. I love all those more obscure songs too, but a big theme of RH is sort of looking back and embracing that and the 80's legacy. So if she is going to do a lot of the back catalogue RH is the perfect album and era to pair that with. And it's not like she's not going to do any of the RH songs. I'm sure they will be a good number.

She has a real tight lid on this tour by now most of the fan sites would have inside scoops about songs and costumes but there's nothing. I won't go if she sings her hits who does she think she is Madonna?

I think the majority of us can agree that Rebel Heart is a great album, for me it is definitely in my top 3 of favorite albums, but I mean come on, classics are classics and if the tour lacks in hits it would be ludicrous. Madonna is not your typical pop tart who has five albums of material, she has over 30 years of hits, so to expect her to focus on doing every single song off of the new album and give less focus on her oldies I am sorry but its just not going to happen

I think the majority of us can agree that Rebel Heart is a great album, for me it is definitely in my top 3 of favorite albums, but I mean come on, classics are classics and if the tour lacks in hits it would be ludicrous. Madonna is not your typical pop tart who has five albums of material, she has over 30 years of hits, so to expect her to focus on doing every single song off of the new album and give less focus on her oldies I am sorry but its just not going to happen

And how can anyone not get chills being in the arena among thousands of Madonna fans as Madonna starts to sing LAP or any other old song? This woman is an icon and every tour that you are able to attend consider yourself lucky to be able to experience Madonna live.

FreeMySoul I totally agree with you.... My first ever Madonna concert was S&S... I've always loved her way before then but I was only financially able to start going to her shows for S&S and MDNA, and I remember that feeling really well when she started doing get into the groove it felt like the whole venue had come to life

Guest groovyguy
Mike Dean on working on the Rebel Heart Tour

Legendary producer and sound engineer Mike Dean talked to The Fader revealing he’s currently working on remastering Madonna stems for her upcoming tour, and mentioning Holiday they are working on right now. He also explained what’s to him the most important part of translating songs for a live performance:

What's the most important part of translating songs for performance?

With Kanye, we don't do that much. We just add stuff on top of the tracks—add new stuff. It's different every day, depending on how you feel; there's nothing written in stone with how we play. Madonna's more locked in with all her performances, but she has surprises every night—a big giant production.

Guest groovyguy

If you scroll down through the comments and replies, he also adds:
On comment that it's like RIT damage control:
Oh, it's 100% the same as RIT following AL. It's not exactly damage control, but it's a smart marketing response. IF she follows through and does have a lot in there.
when asked to define "tons" [of oldies]:
Many '80s hits.
Some looks very right, not sure on some of the order, though not all of the order is wrong, either.

So, according to French website MCM, this is the setlist of the Rebel Heart Tour:

Iconic

Hold Tight

Ghosttown

Love Don't Live Here Anymore

HeartBreakCity

Wash All Over Me / Rain

Joan of Arc

Devil Pray

Between the Bars

Deeper and Deeper

Justify My Love

Inside Out

Like a Virgin

S.E.X

Holy Water / Vogue

Dress You Up / Give Me All Your Luvin'

Into the Groove

True Blue

Body Shop

Unapologetic Bitch

La Isla Bonita

Who's That Girl

Bitch I'm Madonna

Rebel Heart

Living For Love

This is what Matthew had to say on this rumoured setlist, in a reply to a Facebook comment:

"Some looks very right, not sure on some of the order, though not all of the order is wrong, either."

This is very Rebel Heart-heavy. Also, nothing from Like A Prayer, Ray of Light, Confessions or Music? :ohmy: