Listening to American Life...

Guest Pud Whacker

Almost perfection (with the exception of Im So Stupid :huh: , otherwise near perfection)

Yup. Near perfection, but I must admit I do enjoy I'm so stupid now and then. My favorite M album, and the one that made me go from fan to stan. Looove it, and AL the song is still a staple in my gym playlist!

I'm So Stupid is amazing! Great album, Nobody Knows Me is my favourite

One of her best album. A little masterpiece which was overshadowed by the original AL video and the controversy around it. It was quite a critical album about the US in general, and at a time of war. The media made sure it wouldnt be a mainstream success. In my view, withdrawing the video was a mistake, it was a amazing piece of work as well. I still listen to this record very often, I like the raw side of it.

American-Life-cover.jpg

ITS PERFECTION!!!

Word

I loved that she was being experimental with it, as it often happens with her

Love Mirways and Stuart by the way

Easy Ride, Love Profusion, Hollywood, Nothing Fails, I'm So Stupid, Intervention are madgestic

And I adore the AL rap

One of her best album. A little masterpiece which was overshadowed by the original AL video and the controversy around it. It was quite a critical album about the US in general, and at a time of war. The media made sure it wouldnt be a mainstream success. In my view, withdrawing the video was a mistake, it was a amazing piece of work as well. I still listen to this record very often, I like the raw side of it.

This This This

100 years from now people will discover or rediscover what a varied and consistent catalogue of musical masterpieces she has created out the context of the "controversies" and publicity machinery. When I look at what was "hot" on the charts in 2003 and then I listen to AL I always laugh

It doesn't sound like anything else but itself and it does hold musical merit unlike most teenage bubblegum pop of the time. But the again all her albums have always had musical merit regardless of the year they are children of

I'm drinking a Soy latte

I get a double shot
It goes right through my body
And you know
I'm satisfied,
I drive my mini cooper
And I'm feeling super-dooper
Yo they tell I'm a trooper
And you know I'm satisfied
I do yoga and pilates
And the room is full of hotties
So I'm checking out the bodies
And you know I'm satisfied
I'm digging on the isotopes
This metaphysic's shit is dope
And if all this can give me hope
You know I'm satisfied
I got a lawyer and a manager
An agent and a chef
Three nannies, an assistant
And a driver and a jet
A trainer and a butler
And a bodyguard or five
A gardener and a stylist
Do you think I'm satisfied?
I'd like to express my extreme point of view
I'm not Christian and I'm not a Jew
I'm just living out the American dream
And I just realized that nothing Is what it seems

Guest CzarnaWisnia

It was quite a critical album about the US in general, and at a time of war. The media made sure it wouldnt be a mainstream success.

I disagree. It's only very slightly critical of the US, if at all. It's critical in Hollywood of... Hollywood and the fame world many aspire to (but they're just fake people wanting to enter a fake world, big news). HW is hardly the US. American Life the song appears to criticize the US lifestyle, but it also names it as an object of comfort :

I live the american dream

You are the best thing I've seen,

You are not just a dream

It's hardly criticism. And the whole song is about Madonna's life, her perception of it, of her place in the life she's built for herself.

Appart from those two songs, there are no criticism of the US. People have that wrong impression because of the marketing plan chosen to promote the album by M and her team. The guerrillero theme and pictures don't show at all what the album is. It's not an angry record, it's not anti-US (nor anti anything), it's not militant. That marketing is why it failed commercially, in my opinion. Had the marketing (and first single) been faithful to the album as a whole, it could have been different. American Life is an album about intimacy, self-realization, generosity, tenderness, etc. This is evident in many songs like Love Profusion, Easy Ride, X-static Process, Intervention, Mother and Father, Nothing Fails. It's much more personal than political.

It didn't fail because it's too personal, or not pop enough.

It did because it was mislabeled as a political album, which it is not, and because Madonna wanted to use the album to discuss politics (in interviews or through the pulled video).

09 American Life

10 Hollywood

08 I'm so Stupid

09 Love Profusion

10 Nobody Knows Me

09 Nothing Fails

08 Intervention

07 X-Static Process

07 Mother and Father

10 Die Another Day

09 Easy Ride

One of her best!!

I think the reason why AL was poorly received is because her sound became way too mellow. If you take away Nobody Knows Me and to an extent Mother And Father there's not even one real dance track.. After all dance is Madonna's playground and people will always keep listening to her dance songs.. BIM is just another case of Madonna finding success in her original roots which is ground breaking dance music.

At that time Madonna was still on a high from the Music album, the DWT and DAD, which reached the Top10 and the video was on heavy rotation. When AL was released the press decided it was anti-American and anti Bush but the public didn't buy it because it wasn't dance enough in my personal opinion. No wonder she gave us a mammoth dance fest with COAD.

I personally love it. It's such a contemplative album. I always put it on when I'm pissed off at society or something. lol it takes me from a state of anguish and frustration to a place of peace and unity.

I disagree. It's only very slightly critical of the US, if at all. It's critical in Hollywood of... Hollywood and the fame world many aspire to (but they're just fake people wanting to enter a fake world, big news). HW is hardly the US. American Life the song appears to criticize the US lifestyle, but it also names it as an object of comfort :

I live the american dream

You are the best thing I've seen,

You are not just a dream

It's hardly criticism. And the whole song is about Madonna's life, her perception of it, of her place in the life she's built for herself.

Appart from those two songs, there are no criticism of the US. People have that wrong impression because of the marketing plan chosen to promote the album by M and her team. The guerrillero theme and pictures don't show at all what the album is. It's not an angry record, it's not anti-US (nor anti anything), it's not militant. That marketing is why it failed commercially, in my opinion. Had the marketing (and first single) been faithful to the album as a whole, it could have been different. American Life is an album about intimacy, self-realization, generosity, tenderness, etc. This is evident in many songs like Love Profusion, Easy Ride, X-static Process, Intervention, Mother and Father, Nothing Fails. It's much more personal than political.

It didn't fail because it's too personal, or not pop enough.

It did because it was mislabeled as a political album, which it is not, and because Madonna wanted to use the album to discuss politics (in interviews or through the pulled video).

which is very anti-American Dream.....

I'm so stupid with love profusion are my favorite tracks on the album. I never got all the hate on I'm so Stupid tbh.

+1

My all-time favorite Madonna album. Nothing Fails, Mother and Father, X-Static Process and Intervention are acoustic/electronic perfection.

I liked her look for American life brunette hair for a change.

This. We need another brunette M era.