Why is "Ray of light" M's best album ever?

mad4mad2

I think its Madonna's best. There are no songs that are shit IMO. The songs are the best written out of all of her albums. The only the thing I would change is Orbits production but only slightly. I would tone down the over the top bleeps and electronic noises. Other than that it is perfect 10/10 easy

No, i'm very sorry, but Madonna has like 5 best albums, maybe more. ROL is one of the best albums, but not the best. That would mean she had a creativity peak, which is not true.

No, i'm very sorry, but Madonna has like 5 best albums, maybe more. ROL is one of the best albums, but not the best. That would mean she had a creativity peak, which is not true.

Hmmmm So you don't have a favorite, one that you think is her best?

It depends. I adore the first album, but sing a long so much to LAV. True Blue is pop perfection, but i really think LAP is a piece of art. Erotica is so incredible and love just how magical and beautiful is Bedtime Stories. Love the message and the creativity of ROL and find Music's sound so fresh and vanguard. AL is one of her best, so brave and wise, and Confessions is full of joy. The only 2 albums i don't enjoy much are HC and MDNA. Rebel Heart is one of her best and i will never get tired of it.

ROL got reviews that were double page spreads. Her last 3 album reviews were < 1/4 size of a page... : ((

Meh. Ranks toward the bottom personally. Some good tracks but it's not an album I listen to often. I never understood the adoration for the title track or it's video for that matter. Frozen is a great song and NRM was also a favorite. After Evita though I feel her voice changed and ROL was the start of that. She's seemed to sing "higher" but I've always loved her deeper voice. I think she's reverted slightly back to her original "sound" with RH hence why I probably love the album so much.

To sum up, it's a good album (it's Madonna afterall) but I wouldn't rate it as her best.

On a side note I've always wondered if it would be held so highly if the critics didn't give it such rave reviews? I mean it seems to be the only album where she's really had everyone on board, but consider how many of her older albums got trashed yet now appear in "Greatest ofs" lists?

If I have to be objective, her best album is

music_madonna_career_in_pictures_5.jpg

You have SocialCommentaryDonna on PDP.

You have HopelessRomanticDonna on OYH.

You have MovieDonna on White Heat.

You have BalladDonna on LTT.

You have PartyDonna on WTP.

You have CherishPreCherishDonna on TB.

You have LatinDonna on LIB.

You have INeedABoyfriendDonna on Jimmy Jimmy. :inlove:

You have PreachAnImportantMessageThroughADanceSongDonna on LMTWGR.

Ture Blue was the point where opinions of her changed. Suddenly people realised there was more to her than the fluffy pop of Material Girl and Dress You Up. Then when Like A Prayer came out, that's when she really won respect.

If I have to be objective, her best album is

music_madonna_career_in_pictures_5.jpg

You have SocialCommentaryDonna on PDP.

You have HopelessRomanticDonna on OYH.

You have MovieDonna on White Heat.

You have BalladDonna on LTT.

You have PartyDonna on WTP.

You have CherishPreCherishDonna on TB.

You have LatinDonna on LIB.

You have INeedABoyfriendDonna on Jimmy Jimmy. :inlove:

You have PreachAnImportantMessageThroughADanceSongDonna on LMTWGR.

You make very valid points! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've been listening to a lot of her older music which is something haven't done since the early 00s and forgot just how great it is :o

True Blue, LAP & ROL and AL are really her best works. confessions is there too. I think she got to start working with pat leonard and a few of the real good people out there instead of listening to her kids' dance music and getting those people. (although like napoleon said I love her deeper voice on Rebel heart)

but i agree everything changed with true blue. Live to tell, papa don't preach, la isla bonita, open your heart.. where's the party.. they're all amazing and timeless

like a prayer made her more mysterious and darker & gave her probably the one song everyone loves: like a prayer.

and ROL is very alternative yet commercial. perfect crossover record. she really started a whole new sound with william & pat. however, I have to say, ROL had to grow on me. I loved Frozen & Nothing Really Matters & Skin & sky fits heaven instantly but the other songs took me a while. I learned to listen to it because everyone raved about it

Not when Like A Prayer exists.

If there were more ethereal songs like Sky Fits Heaven/Skin/Ray Of Light it would've been my favorite. I personally can't handle Candy Perfume Girl/Ashanti Ashanti and the last 3 tracks drag way too long.

My problems with ROL are:

1. Production is too noisy and they take away some Madonna magic. From example, Sky Fits Heaven or To Have and Not To Hold. The first one is a great tune that gets lost, the second is a wonderful ballad where you don't hear Madonna's voice properly.

2. Her voice is too Evita for my taste

3. It's so overrated that you end up hating it a bit.