Devil Pray the cancelled fourth single...

On my local radio station (in Germany) they just announced they're going to "premiere Madonna's new single Devil Pray"??? So is it official now? I'm confused as hell at the moment :sneaky:

I imagine Universal is just letting its various territory divisions push whatever song they want. Germany is obviously getting on board with "Devil Pray" and Italy is doing "Hold Tight". This isn't unlike the American Life era when parts of Europe got "Nothing Fails" while others opted for "Love Profusion." It's a free for all.

I wasn't a fan of Devil Pray until I heard the Dirty Pop remix! Pretty amazing.

I am glad she is taking advantage of the massive BIM video popularity to release a follow up and more radio friendly one. If she does release a video for Devil's Pray it will instantly attract more views than the first two singles thanks to BIM.

BIM = should have been the initial promo single in retrospect.

Messiah would be my favourite, but I'm weird. But hey, it's a masterpiece. And Addicted. But RH would make sense. But there are so many... It shouldn't be one of the songs in the original 6 though.

I think Devil Pray is musically the best single but the lyrics of that verse are way too in your face for the public. I love Hold Tight and I can see it becoming a minor hit in Italy by riding on the success of Ghosttown, but it's a bit too beige for a single.

She can definitely release 3 singles during her tour.

September 8 is a good day to drop a single!

I think Devil Pray is musically the best single but the lyrics of that verse are way too in your face for the public. I love Hold Tight and I can see it becoming a minor hit in Italy by riding on the success of Ghosttown, but it's a bit too beige for a single.

Papa don't preach, I'm in trouble deep

Papa don't preach, I've been losing sleep

But I made up my mind, I'm keeping my baby, oh

I'm gonna keep my baby, mmm...

He says that he's going to marry me

We can raise a little family

Maybe we'll be all right

It's a sacrifice

Need a video of Devil Pray with Madonna looking like a Native American woman doing some ritual.That the first image that got in my mind when i heard the song

That's a nice idea.

True, Devil Pray lends itself to lots of ideas for a video.

I don't think we should care about the lyrics being 'in your face'.

I actually think all the 'guarded attitude' towards her singles etc that her management has shown in the last few years has not done Madonna any good. At all.

It's not like she has to consolidate her success, or chase the charts or anything. I actually think the big hit may be there, in the least expected song. The one that just breaks the mould, as she did many times in the past.

I was chatting on Youtube: she sang JoA live; got her lots of new fans (in the threads, lots of people 'discovering' Madonna). I think that's where she should be going; the unusual etc... She did it in the past, why not now?

Guest bluejean

These lyrics bring tears to my ears. What a beautiful song.. Can't WAIT to see this live...

Take my sins and wash them away
Teach me how to pray
I've been stranded here in the dark
Take these walls away

I've been swimming in the ocean
'Til I'm almost drowned
Give me something I can believe in
Teach me how to pray

Devil Pray has a lot of good things - but the lyrics are a problem in my opinion. They;re not in your face, they're just not very good - listing out a bunch of drugs doesn't do anything for me. Other than that , the song is amazing. I do think the time is right after BIM for either Joan Of Arc (she just took a lot of criticism for BIM) or... Body Shop - it's radio ready and strange at the same time...

she should just release&make videos for devil pray & body shop. i think the latter one is gonna surprise people if they hear it and see the video. i don't know why she tries with songs like bitch I'm madonna and all that crap when she has so many innovating interesting little pop songs that could draw in a new audience.

Need a video of Devil Pray with Madonna looking like a Native American woman doing some ritual.That the first image that got in my mind when i heard the song

I think that got No Doubt into trouble when they filmed a video for the second single off their PUSH AND SHOVE album. They ended up yanking the video. Can't see it working out any more favorably for Madonna. (Not that claims of cultural appropriation have ever stopped her before, but ...)

I think that got No Doubt into trouble when they filmed a video for the second single off their PUSH AND SHOVE album. They ended up yanking the video. Can't see it working out any more favorably for Madonna. (Not that claims of cultural appropriation have ever stopped her before, but ...)

Oh I didn't know that but I think that if she uses some elements in her look and film it in desert during sunset or sth like that would work well visually

So you have a problem with Devil Pray lyrics but consider Body Shop radio ready? Okay :lol:

I don't hear any silly and not very interesting drug references in Body Shop - do you? Can you imagine what a field day haters will have once again with madonna talking about drugs and trying to be 'hip' with the kids? Come on - Body Shop is mature and interesting at the same time... radio friendly friendly indeed.

Edited by channel83