M made a perfect “Beautiful Stranger” for The Spy Who Shagged Me

acko

In Hear This, A.V. Club writers sing the praises of songs they know well. This week, we’re featuring our favorite songs that only appeared on soundtracks.

640.jpg

“Beautiful Stranger,” Madonna (1999)

The unlikely duo of Mike Myers and Madonna has been an ideal match ever since Madonna’s unabashed pitch for her 1991 movie on Saturday Night Live, when she invited Wayne Campbell to play Truth Or Dare. She also guested as Linda Richman’s pal Liz Rosenberg on her program “Coffee Talk” when Barbra Streisand showed up. The creative partnership works because Madonna, though serious, always seems game, and Myers, though frequently goofy, is also creatively inventive.

So Madonna was an obvious yet inspired choice to kick off the soundtrack for Myers’ 1999 Austin Powers sequel, The Spy Who Shagged Me. The collaboration resulted in “Beautiful Stranger,” Madonna’s best song that never appeared on a regular Madonna album. Building off her electronica dance reinvention from 1998’s Grammy-winning Ray Of Light, “Beautiful Stranger” was less ethereal, but just as dance-floor ready. She co-wrote the song with William Orbit (her Ray Of Light collaborator), achieving a psychedelic pop confection that offered a few of her most indelible hooks. The song managed to bridge Madonna’s silky dance pop with the ’60s period piece Myers was aiming for; dance flute has never sounded so enticing, and Madonna’s voice so sweetly seductive. And its hypnotic appeal was a natural background for a song about infatuation with someone you haven’t even met.

For a potential one-off, “Beautiful Stranger” wound up with quite a storied history: It won the singer a Grammy for “Best Song Written For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media.” Madonna realized the song’s strength as well, and eventually included it in two of her greatest-hits collections. It also added momentum to Madonna’s comeback for the then-looming 21st century: She used it as the fourth song in her set on her 2001 Drowned World Tour.

One of my favorite Madonna songs ever from one of the best summers of my life. I will always have a special place in my heart for this little piece of pop perfection. :inlove:

da da da da da da da da da da da!

Beautiful stranger...

Guest Pud Whacker

Such a marvelous time. She was fun and sexy again after all the drear of Something to Remeber, Evita and Ray of Light.

I say that with love. I love all those other projects but the world was in dire need of the sexy feel good madonna again.

:manson:

??? I usually adore English Humour :rosey: much more then american / aussie humour, but this was a piece of cliched shit. Give me George, Mildred, Basil, Miss Slokiem and Benny Hill anyday!

And I still remember ICON fan club site keeps promising fans the commercial single would be out anytime soon but it didn't :americanlife: and forced fans to buy the album instead.

As a result, the soundtrack album sold > 1m in the US and certified Platinum.

If not mistaken, M & WO wrote the song in WO's living room floor.

She seems to write the best things when there are not fornitures and she's in some dark corner. She should write the next album stucked in a metro wagon.

My friends [not fanz] love her in this video, beautiful, happy and healthy.

they kept saying that especially during cheekdonna era.. :(

I remember the premiere on Radio One, out of the blue a new Madonna track and the video premiere thinking she was looking fucking sexy and gorgeous.

Madonna's movie singles are the best

Crazy for you

Gambler (europe)

Into the groove

Live to tell

Who's that girl

Causing a commotion

The look of love (europe)

Vogue (sort of)

Hanky Panky ( i adore it)

This used to be my playground

I'll remember

you must love me (even though i hate Rice/Llyod weber)

Beautiful Stranger

Time stood still ( i know, not a single but should have been instead of American Pie)

Die another day

Masterpiece

Yaaasssss! I was indifferent to this song back then but I never changed the channel when it was on MTV and even sang along beyond my control :chuckle: The power of Madonna!

I liked it but never appreciated how much non stans love IT! Ive been in a car with 2 of my friends and its their all time fame Madge song. It was on ALL THE TIME in the UK, it got to number 2 because S Club 7 (a kiddie show/band) was at number 1 but stayed on the charts for about 4 months. It was on tv and reported back then that it was one of the most played and requested songs of ALL TIME!

I was proud of her, the same way American Pie was huge here. Yet look at nowadays and the amazing Ghosttown that went nowhere? I dont understand how this world works.

One of my favorite songs and videos! I was 8 when this came out and it sure was my jam at the time!

Takes me back to the Summer of 99, when I became obsessed with the Queen of pop!

Guest bluejean

Well I LOVE this song!

But "the best song that never appeared on a regular Madonna album" is Into The Groove.

I liked it but never appreciated how much non stans love IT! Ive been in a car with 2 of my friends and its their all time fame Madge song. It was on ALL THE TIME in the UK, it got to number 2 because S Club 7 (a kiddie show/band) was at number 1 but stayed on the charts for about 4 months. It was on tv and reported back then that it was one of the most played and requested songs of ALL TIME!

I was proud of her, the same way American Pie was huge here. Yet look at nowadays and the amazing Ghosttown that went nowhere? I dont understand how this world works.

and that wasn't even a big hit (on madonna terms), just your average madonna song (on how it's doing on the charts) yet when you do some digging, you'll find that it's the second most played song of the year in europe behind britney's baby one more time (which is probably britney's BIGGEST hit..)

what a great song and video....one of her sexiest perf....those eyes... :dramatic::dramatic:

(and imaging the meltdowns if internet was what it is now...."oh....what a cheap vid....the green screen and M just making the same moves.....") :chuckle: