Rick Nowels on Madonna - SongwriterUniverse Interview

nemo64

He wrote the wonderful Standing Still with Jewel. Her last great song.

He worked with Kylie too! Well, he has worked with so many people and i can't recall a single time that it has been a wrong decision. But to be fair i would love it if Belinda Carlisle released a new album with him. Her last first single with Nowels was In Too Deep, which is so beautiful.

Oh, and i'm such a dork, i thought people were speculating about Beautiful Scars being written with Nowels, i didn't know it was official! OMG, we need those damned RH credits.

Rick and Belinda are like Madonna and Patrick, pure magic that cannot be replicated with others.

Unfortunately the 3 tracks he did for Ray Of Light are the worse 3 songs on the album, always skipped.

The massive difference between Rick and Belinda and Patrick and Madonna is that Belinda didn't write or produce anything with Rick - he wrote primarily with Ellen Shipley (sometimes by himself) and he was the sole producer.

How can you not love TPOG??!!

So the nine songs they wrote are:

1.- To Have and Not To Hold

2.- The Power of Goodbye

3.- Like a Flower

4.- Little Star

5.- ???

6.- ???

7.- ???

8.- ???

9.- ???

Revenge

Alone Again

Beautiful Scars

There's no record of the other two, but there's also no record of the songs that we know Madonna worked on with Babyface for ROL (that weren't used), so it just means that they were officially registered anywhere.

The massive difference between Rick and Belinda and Patrick and Madonna is that Belinda didn't write or produce anything with Rick - he wrote primarily with Ellen Shipley (sometimes by himself) and he was the sole producer.

How can you not love TPOG??!!

Indeed, I just think his writing is just better suited to soft rock ( he would do well with Sheryl Crow and Stevie i think ) then someone pop dance like Madonna ???

Even Madonna agrees that POG is terrible, hence why the only time she sang it live she did a shit job, never to be repeated again. I would be mortified if she decided to include it on Rebel Heart Tour ;)

On a side note Runaway Horses is only like the 11th greatest album ever!

Oh Ivy, Madonna is more than dance pop. Shane you can't appreciate Rick's work with M. Like a Flower is a beautiful song, and ya know what? The Power of Good-bye is one of M's best singles! Nuff said. 8)

svperstar - yes, of course! I forgot about that one. It's not registered anywhere, but it's definitely a Rick Nowels collaboration.

Ivy - when did Madonna say that TPOG was terrible? She only sang "Take A Bow" live once and was criticised for that performance, but that doesn't mean she hates TAB...

Even Madonna agrees that POG is terrible, hence why the only time she sang it live she did a shit job, never to be repeated again. I would be mortified if she decided to include it on Rebel Heart Tour ;)

What do you mean the only time she sang it live? Off the top of my head i remember at least 3 live performances(vh-1 fashion awards, EMAs, a tv show in Spain), and at least 3 or 4 performances that weren't live...

Where did she say she hates the song?

She only sang "Take A Bow" live once and was criticised for that performance, but that doesn't mean she hates TAB...

She may have been criticised but that performance gave the song the push it needed to reach #1...i know fans ctiticised it but i thought that media and general public liked it, the song reached #1 two weeks after the performance.

Oh Ivy, Madonna is more than dance pop. Shane you can't appreciate Rick's work with M. Like a Flower is a beautiful song, and ya know what? The Power of Good-bye is one of M's best singles! Nuff said. 8)

Like A Flower, don't think I ever heard that one? Will find it and get back to you, or can someone post the link here:........... :)

Guys, I'm only kidding about Madonna hating POG, how the heck would I even know that ;) but it does not change the fact it was still a shit single. I actually don't mind the live performance of TAB, she has done a lot worse. I thought her and babyface's voices gel'd nicely together.

TPOG is a standout in her catalogue. It underperformed in Australia, but it did well in the UK, brilliantly in Europe and only just missed out on reaching the Top 10 in the US (it would have sneaked in for a week if they hadn't changed the methodology used to determine the Hot 100 the exact week that it peaked).

TPOG is a standout in her catalogue. It underperformed in Australia, but it did well in the UK, brilliantly in Europe and only just missed out on reaching the Top 10 in the US (it would have sneaked in for a week if they hadn't changed the methodology used to determine the Hot 100 the exact week that it peaked).

Exactly!

Peaked at #13 on the single sales chart(i think the maxi single release was cancelled), and at #26 on the airplay chart, i remember reading some billboard colum the week it reached #11 on the hot 100, and they claimed that positions #9 to #11 were just a few points apart...

It also spent several weeks at #2 on the eurocharts, and it had a very notable effect on album sales...

Found this:

"The Power of Good-Bye" is a ballad featuring numerous string instruments and an electronic music sound, with lyrics reflecting on a painful breakup. Australian music critic and friend of Madonna, Molly Meldrum, claimed the lyrics were about Sean Penn. The version that was released as a single and included on the album Ray of Light is quite different from the original demo version. In the summer of 2002, demos recorded during the Ray of Light recording sessions were leaked to the Internet, with one of the demos being for "The Power of Good-Bye". The demo version features a stronger rhythm and more drum and bass.

The lyrics are also different, including the sentence 'Walk away' instead of 'Do you wanna go higher' (in the album's booklet, the lyrics 'Walk away' were never changed) and the final message: 'God help me, learn to say goodbye, please give me the power of goodbye'. Lucy O'Brien, author of Like an Icon stated "When they wrote the song [The Power of Goodbye], for instance, he [Rick Nowells] was struck by her lyric writing." Nowells also admitted "It was deep, poetic and intelligent. When she's on and at her best she's on a par with Joni Mitchell or Paul Simon." He also stated that her songwriting was a benefit of her "voracious reading."[3] The lyrical content was compared to William Shakespeare, Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton.[3][3] According to Nowells, he described the song as a "meditation." He added "[The song is] a beautiful poem. I was knocked out. Touched."[3]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_Good-Bye

Like A Flower, don't think I ever heard that one? Will find it and get back to you, or can someone post the link here:........... :)

Guys, I'm only kidding about Madonna hating POG, how the heck would I even know that ;) but it does not change the fact it was still a shit single. I actually don't mind the live performance of TAB, she has done a lot worse. I thought her and babyface's voices gel'd nicely together.

Like a Flower:

Like a Flower (Spanish Version):

Like a Flower (Italian Version):

Rick and Belinda are like Madonna and Patrick, pure magic that cannot be replicated with others.

Unfortunately the 3 tracks he did for Ray Of Light are the worse 3 songs on the album, always skipped.

1 week ban. Effective immediately.

I actually listened to one of the live versions today, and I'd love it if she performed it on tour, though she'd have to kind of "let it happen" instead of "forcing it", vocally. Don't know if that's quite clear :lol:

I actually listened to one of the live versions today, and I'd love it if she performed it on tour, though she'd have to kind of "let it happen" instead of "forcing it", vocally. Don't know if that's quite clear :lol:

Yes, I know what you mean....lol. I think she "forced it" often during the ROL years when it came to her live vocals. Her singing overall doesn't seem as forced these days.

WOW! You skipped TPOG????????? That is one of her best ballads!!!!!!