She Looks Great — But How Fit Is Madonna, Really?

Andra

ae9517d4e2a3dabb2617af0528d6a0ad1b227210

For pop goddess Madonna, seen here performing in Nice, France, during her Sticky & Sweet tour, a two-hour show is like running a half marathon — in heels, while singing. (Photo: Corbis/Pascal Deschamps)

It’s no secret that Madonna boasts one of the best bodies in entertainment — and has for the past three decades. Her ridiculously toned arms and long dancer’s legs are the envy of women one-third of her age (which would be 56, but who’s counting?)

But when it comes to her fitness regimen, aesthetics (as impressive as they may be) are only a secondary goal. Her head personal trainer, Craig Smith, tells Yahoo Health that his main objective is to get Madonna ready for the grueling rehearsals in preparation for her next world tour.

In this way, Madonna trains like a professional athlete preparing for a season of tough competition. One show lasts for two or more hours, Smith explains, during which Madonna is dancing, jumping, and dashing across the stage. It’s similar to running a half marathon several times per week — and having to sing during the entire race.

Rehearsals can be just as demanding as the tour (if not more so), Smith explains. They begin three months before the show kicks off, and last 12 to 16 hours per day, six days per week. “That’s on top of her family and all of the other work she does,” says Smith, who also serves as the creative director for Hard Candy Fitness.

To prepare for her upcoming Rebel Heart World Tour, which starts Sept. 9 in Montreal, Smith has Madonna working out about an hour each day. “We do well-rounded, balanced programs that incorporate cardio, strength, stability, flexibility, mobility, and relaxations and meditation,” he says.

From one day to the next, Smith may put Madonna through high-intensity Tabata intervals, Pilates, Ashtanga yoga, barre, core work, or a bodyweight strength circuit. For cardio, they’ll do a nonstop dance routine or kickboxing. (Dance cardio is her favorite, Smith says.)

All of the workouts are designed to help Madonna prepare for the intense — and unique — physical demands of the stage show. “There are elements of dance in everything we do,” Smith explains. For example, one of Smith’s favorite arm exercises to do with Madonna is a tricep kickback with an arabesque.

During rehearsals and while on tour, her training is more focused on preventing injuries, facilitating recovery, and keeping her body strong, healthy, and ready for the next performance. Smith uses massage, foam rolling, and trigger point therapy to aid recovery.

Workouts take place wherever they need to, given the star’s hectic travel schedule. She’ll work out at her home gym or visit Hard Candy Fitness (her high-end gym chain with eight international locations) when she can, but is also known to squeeze in a workout in her dressing room, on set, or at a local gym.

What’s Madonna like as a gym buddy? Fun and chatty. “We talk about everything [during training sessions],” Smith says. “We talk about her kids, what she’s working on, how rehearsals go, how she feels from yesterday’s workout. It’s always a fun conversation.”

She may have the body of a dancer-slash-model, but in the gym, Madonna trains like an athlete.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/she-looks-great-but-how-fit-is-madonna-really-121037068037.html

In this way, Madonna trains like a professional athlete preparing for a season of tough competition.

She may have the body of a dancer-slash-model, but in the gym, Madonna trains like an athlete.

Not like, she IS an athlete, imo.

Thanks for posting this, Goddess. It's great to see a positive article that showcases her dedication, discipline and professionalism when preparing for her tour. Love it.

While Mariah prepares for her tours by eating jelly donuts.

M once said on Oprah that she completly quit the gym and was strictly ONLY doing yoga.. well that didn't last too long.I always wanted to know her playlist!

Guest Pud Whacker

tumblr_np2o9ps7qE1qlycwjo1_400.gif

once a month, i always try to reiterate how tough, healthy and in shape madonna is on twitter and tumblr!!! :lol:

Guest Pud Whacker

I owe partial credit to Madonna for the body I have today :lol:

of course. my will to exercise everyday since youth comes from her. i know it.

She's my thinspiration. Like a powerful well-oiled machine...

She is most definitely an athlete!!

I'm also curious as to what her current diet is like, as that has as much to do (if not more) with her lean-ness as her exercise regimen. I'm pretty sure her current trainer is vegan (by the looks of his Instagram).

And yes, I must know everything when it comes to this!! I'm kind of fitness and diet obsessed and she is, like, my patron saint of health. lol

The body she has is a marvel but for me it shines through when she's sick or injured or exhausted and has to go on with it. When she was in Buenos Aires on MDNA and sang "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" and you could see she was in so much agony but persisted, that's years of health and fitness at work, I don't think you can just 'get fit' for 6 months for a role or something & have that kind of stamina. :fag: Divorcegate 2008 is another. The Brit Awards is another.

The body she has is a marvel but for me it shines through when she's sick or injured or exhausted and has to go on with it. When she was in Buenos Aires on MDNA and sang "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" and you could see she was in so much agony but persisted, that's years of health and fitness at work, I don't think you can just 'get fit' for 6 months for a role or something & have that kind of stamina. :fag: Divorcegate 2008 is another. The Brit Awards is another.

Why was she in pain?

Yes!! How dare anyone ever imply this woman is "lazy". This is why I have no qualms about shelling out $400 to see her live. I KNOW she will be 110% no matter how she feels and the end of MDNA tour is a perfect example as she clearly was not well. When Madonna cancels a show, I know it's because she HAS to......not because she's drunk, high, being a diva etc. Her dedication in this area is the ultimate respect to her fans.

Why was she in pain?

Didn't she come down with some bronchal shit? I forget. But the whole S.A. leg she was ill.

Yes!! How dare anyone ever imply this woman is "lazy". This is why I have no qualms about shelling out $400 to see her live. I KNOW she will be 110% no matter how she feels and the end of MDNA tour is a perfect example as she clearly was not well. When Madonna cancels a show, I know it's because she HAS to......not because she's drunk, high, being a diva etc. Her dedication in this area is the ultimate respect to her fans.

:clap:

And anyway how many times has she ever cancelled in 30 years of doing tour shows? You could count them on one hand, two max out of a zillion gigs. Whereas there are certain acts who will scratch entire tour legs, blaming it on some frivolous shit or worse making it all up and still have the nerve to be like yeah, fuck off but thank you for being my fan$. Never mind acting like a damn drug addled rambling mess on stage.

I mean how old is Britney? 32? That mirror segment gif from the current Vegas residency is absolutely priceless.

That's why every time I hear people complain that "but Madonna was late taking to the stage, that's unacceptable" I don't understand how anyone could think that someone who puts so much work into this, more than needed in fact, and has an eye for every little detail would show up an hour or two hours late ON PURPOSE for no real reason if not to piss people off

How many acts rehearse for three hours for every damn date of their tour AND do their regular daily exercise regime on top of that? I hardly can think of anybody else but Madonna. Not only she literally shuts herself off any other distraction for 3-4 months BEFORE the actual start of the tour but she has her own "tracksuit full show" for every single date along the way ahead of the gig itself. Then the lights go off and she does it all over again singing and dancing on 6 inch heels for two straight hours 5 days a week for 7 consecutive months, at 54.

Obviously she's making millions every night between box office revenue and her hefty merchandising share but so are a dozen other acts, pity they don't have a fraction of that dedication or sense of commitment, male or female, bands, contemporaries or not.

tumblr_n3tq6y0MCY1qlycwjo1_r6_500.gif

144453.jpg

tumblr_m64y5mUlZd1r90m4vo1_1280.jpg

edinburgh_210712_soundcheck_attila1news.

iA2HJRgMwE0N9.gif

iA2HJRgMwE0N9.gif

Her body @2005 EMAs performing Hung Up stands out for me...she just fell off a horse and was ordered by the doc not to workout and yet she looks like that!and she mentioned she was still in pain during that period

^ :thumbsup:

Or when she started promotion for the Music album

Three months after giving birth to her second child, aged 42

Looking fabulous and glowing

Raffaella%20Carr%3F%3F05.jpg

roseland02.jpg

tumblr_nooaz6ja5N1utf4ivo1_500.jpg

A-Paris-MADONNA-et-Claire-CHAZAL-sur-le-

:bow::bow:

:wow: