Rewinding the Charts: 25 years ago, Madonna was in "Vogue" atop the Hot 100

XXL

bb15-coda-madonna-vogue-1990-billboard-6

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6568802/rewinding-the-charts-25-years-ago-madonna-was-in-vogue-atop-the

In 1990, with the help of a video directed by David Fincher, the pop star's No. 1 single propelled a dance craze.
ONE OF MADONNA'S BIGGEST hits – the 1990 Billboard Hot 100 No. 1 dance anthem "Vogue" – had surprisingly humble beginnings. "The whole thing was done on a shoestring budget," says Shep Pettibone, the track's co-writer and producer. Allotted just $5,000 by Warner Bros. Records to create what was initially slated as a B-side, he finished the song in three weeks, recording the then-31-year-old pop star's vocals in a "basement on West 56th Street" in New York, where, he says, a closet had been converted into a vocal booth.

The song starts with suspense-building synths before kicking into "Philly Salsoul"-style house music, and its lyrics and sumptuous black-and-white video, directed by future Academy Award nominee David Fincher (Gone Girl, The Social Network), celebrate voguing, a style of dance popularized in New York's mostly gay ballroom club scene in the 1980s that mimicks fashion-shoot poses.
Released as an A-side, "Vogue" topped the Hot 100 on May 19, 1990. Madonna and Pettibone also collaborated on the singer's 1992 No. 1 ballad, "This Used to Be My Playground," but Pettibone left the music business in the late '90s and now owns The Empress Hotel and Paradise Nightclub in Asbury Park, N.J.
Madonna released her latest album, Rebel Heart, in March, and "Vogue" continues to be a staple of her live shows.

Wow 25 years already? Still remember the first time hearing this song, it's still one of the instantly catchiest songs I've ever heard!

Why would Warner pay Shep $5,000 to make a b-side?

A producer (or songwriter) advance possibly?

Originally, the plan was to put "Vogue" on the B-side of "Keep It Together" to promote the single's sales (since it was the 5th release in the U.S. from Like A Prayer). I think there was some worry KIT may not chart well since "Oh Father" broke her string of Top 5 hits. They thought a new B-side might help spur sales.

I don't remember the exact details of the release of this song but I remember knowing it was coming and anticipating it's arrival with much excitement. I had almost no idea what to expect. I was not disappointed.

I don't remember the exact details of the release of this song but I remember knowing it was coming and anticipating it's arrival with much excitement. I had almost no idea what to expect. I was not disappointed.

Me too!! I remember MTV was showing a bunch of teaser promos prior to the premiere. I'm sure I have one of them on tape somewhere.

So epic in every way. This was just one of those all time great moments in pop culture.

CLASSIC. FLAWLESS. PERFECT.

No one else could have pulled this off but M!

I still get goosebumps every single time I hear it especially at the very beginning.

One of my all-time favorite pop songs. Epic in every sense of the word.

I will never get tired of Vogue. It's such a timeless, iconic song.

:clap::clap:

The song and its accompanying video both scream COOLNESS CONCENTRATE from every angle. I love that Nicki and Donna and the BAT dancers took part in the video as well, I love the idea of having all these characters. They are part of music history too in a way, thanks to this song/video alone

I didn't even know the song had a $5,000-only budget attached to it and yet it's one of the finest, most successful moments of her career. Probably the apex together with BAT and TIC after the endless string of back-to-back worldwide 80s hits before she was to have another massive moment with TUTBMP right after the "scandal" of Justify My Love

It's amazing when you look at her career and can pinpoint all the many similarly "effortlessly" amazing peaks she's had at different moments in time

Super Bowl Vogue is the best!!

I was shaking like a leaf when she came out onto the field. It was one of the greatest days of my life. She did such a good job.