Some serious truth tea from Ms Liz Smith

Apples388

"I PRAISE Madonna a lot. I know that annoys some of you. Sorry! But I’ve also laced that praise with criticism, or at least my idea of what she might do, or say (or not say) or wear. I admire the fact that she has never taken my advice. Or anyone’s. She has traveled to the beat of her own techno-music.

But sometimes she’s perfect. I do mean her appearance at the massive Met Fashion Gala the other night in NYC. There she was, with long straight hair (gone are the overworked waves), beautiful makeup, and a stylish, whimsical, subtly sexy black gown by the designer Moschino. (Well, it was more subtle than a lot of what The Big M wears. It was certainly more subtle than Beyonce's get-up.) Totally appropriate for the pop goddess she is, and always will be. (Haters, listen up — even if she never has another No. 1 hit, she’ll always be the Queen. Accept that.)
When I saw the photos I wanted to reach in, hand her a microphone and say, 'Sing out, Madonna Louise Ciccone — croon those ballads. Do your Dietrich!' Well, that’s my fantasy and problem. It will never be Madonna’s reality. But I am satisfied she looked like this for the Met event. She also looked like she was having fun. (Still rare for this workaholic.)
People — even so-called 'fans' — often say she’s desperate to stay in touch with the youth culture. I think she simply enjoys composing and performing edgy material. She likes collaborating with young people. I believe she enjoys the music she makes. If she was 'desperate' for a certain kind of approbation, she’d work on an album of standards. Or a 'Duets' disc. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Privately, as a woman, she has changed. As an artist? Same as 1983. And if you can’t see it, you DON'T know your Madonna."

Guest Hunterlas

"Well, thats my fantasy and problem. It will never be Madonnas reality."

Liz just gets it... wish more fans did, too.

As usual, wonderful words from Liz. Look at this woman!

rs_634x1024-150504180930-634_madonna-met

The long lost battle of Madonna fans and posting a source :(

The long-standing inability of certain Madonna fans to type two or three words into google for said link instead of using those keystrokes to bitch about it. :(

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/guest-diary/2015/liz-smith-bardot-bette-madonna

As far as part of what Liz wrote, I'm glad M collaborates with younger artists. Hope she continues working with younger artists, but she can choose some better artists. Some of the artists she affiliates with are very good, but others still suck even if M likes them.

You don't know your Madonna . The Truth-est Tea !

Kermit%20tea.gif

If she was 'desperate' for a certain kind of approbation, she’d work on an album of standards. Or a 'Duets' disc. Not. Going. To. Happen.

wpp2l.gif

Kermit%20tea.gif

wpp2l.gif

Jacket, how I love your gifs. Kermit drinking the truth tea. :lmao:

Liz Smith is brilliant as a Madonna fan. Always love how she understands and gets Madonna. Plus how she rightfully dismisses those "fans" who label her desperate etc and put her down continually. I would love it if Liz read this very forum.

THE TRUTH

As is it it written in the book of MADONNA LOUISE VERONICA CICCONE BENITEZ PENN BEATTY WARD RODMAN SHAKUR BIRD RITCHIE LEON BANDA LUZ ZAIBAT

:wow:

THE TRUTH

As is it it written in the book of MADONNA LOUISE VERONICA CICCONE BENITEZ PENN BEATTY WARD RODMAN SHAKUR BIRD RITCHIE LEON BANDA LUZ ZAIBAT

:wow:

:D

We could look at it this way: she released such amazing mature albums early on in her career with True Blue and LAP. And then later again, with Ray of Light.

So this new era is like the extension of her early career we never really had to experience.

We could look at it this way: she released such amazing mature albums early on in her career with True Blue and LAP. And then later again, with Ray of Light.

So this new era is like the extension of her early career we never really had to experience.

I wouldn't classify True Blue as a "mature" album. It's primarily light hearted pop except for Live to Tell and Papa Don't Preach. Jimmy Jimmy and Where's the Party are not what I would consider mature! LOL And Like A Prayer I wouldn't consider "early" in her career.

28tupg0.jpg

You don't agree with True Blue? :laugh:

I've always thought M kinda missed out because Britney, Pink, Kelly Clarkson have been making the same music for a decade while M kept maturing and changing up her sound.

I wouldn't classify True Blue as a "mature" album. It's primarily light hearted pop except for Live to Tell and Papa Don't Preach. Jimmy Jimmy and Where's the Party are not what I would consider mature! LOL And Like A Prayer I wouldn't consider "early" in her career.

Would you guys agree that it was at least a more mature album than its predecessor? Of course, JJ is silly and everyone would agree on LTT. BUT -- I would also argue Open Your Heart and La Isla were more adult oriented than songs from Like a Virgin. Wasn't this when Adult Contemporary stations began playing her, in fact?

So her albums show a more adult oriented progression? Or maybe I'm giving to much weight to her image changes?

I DO feel Rebel Heart is aiming for the teens, at least in part. Where in the late 80s she was aiming for a more adult audience.

I DO feel Rebel Heart is aiming for the teens, at least in part. Where in the late 80s she was aiming for a more adult audience.

Don't agree with you about Rebel Heart aiming for the teens. The lyrics for the majority of the songs are very poignant and there are a lot of ballads and mid-tempo songs on the album. There are also pure fun and raunchy songs which she also does so well and better than anyone. Plus Madonna has always had a mixture of different lyrics, song styles and messages. What I love about her really. She just follows her heart and what music she wants to make and goes for it. The mixture of Rebel and Heart - all done in various ways - make this record an absolute stand-out.

Don't agree with you about Rebel Heart aiming for the teens. The lyrics for the majority of the songs are very poignant and there are a lot of ballads and mid-tempo songs on the album. There are also pure fun and raunchy songs which she also does so well and better than anyone. Plus Madonna has always had a mixture of different lyrics, song styles and messages. What I love about her really. She just follows her heart and what music she wants to make and goes for it. The mixture of Rebel and Heart - all done in various ways - make this record an absolute stand-out.

Agree 100% I don't see anything teenage about Rebel Heart. It is much more mature and has more ballad and serious songs than either Hard Candy or MDNA. I feel like Madonna does what she is feeling at the time and her songs aren't a straight line of less mature to more mature or why people should expect such a linear evolution. All Madonna albums have some more serous mature songs and some less more fun songs. She will always have those two sides. Even LAP has songs like Cherish and Dear Jessie.

I don't understand why people can't appreciate music as music without bringing age into it and saying a certain kind of music only appeals to people of a different age. Music should be for everyone.