Melissa Rivers reveals how Joan really felt about Madonna in new book

tomwiggz

In Melissa River's new tribute to her mother, The Book of Joan, each chapter is essentially an essay about stories about mother, funny facts about her mother or fond memories with her mother. Being a big Joan Rivers fan I've already purchased it and read it all in one day, haha. But one chapter was about some of Joan's favorite celebrities to pick on, one of them being Madonna. She wrote a bit about Joan making fun of Madonna's "British accent", blah-blah, but then included this little bit at the end:

"All joking aside, my mother really respected Madonna. She thought that she was smart and hardworking, and that she never backed down. She also appreciated that Madonna was constantly re-inventing herself - that's quite a compliment coming from a woman who had 365 plastic surgeries. "

Normally I'm not so inclined to believe these basic/bland "compliments" people put into their books about other celebrities but Melissa really went in on some people in this book, no sugar-coating, apologies or listing of "nice" things about them at the end...so I think this was probably sincere considering she really didn't suck up to anyone mentioned in the book.

Anyways, I just thought of everyone on this forum when I read it and thought you may all like to hear! :smile:

Great to know as I love both icons - M and Joan of course! Both tough entertaining cookies!

Well I remember the last time I heard Joan Rivers mentioning Madonna was on that Fashion Police episode w/ Kylie, where they were slamming M's drum majorette look and Joan asked, "Why can't she just settle down and be the Great Madonna?" Shade, yes, but bottom line Joan knew Madonna is Great and had no qualms about saying so.

Of course she admired her since she came from nothing and built an empire just like she did. I think Melissa once said she ehrself was a fan of M.

Yep.

For a comedian Madonna is a goldmine, so obviously Joan is going to dig there. Doesn't mean she personally hated her.

You can't be a successful comedian in entertainment without commenting on those who are in the public eye. Joan gets alot of heat for her jokes but she never apologized, only with the Palestine comment not too long before her death.

Guest Hunterlas

Yes, sometimes Joan made mean jokes about Madonna on Fashion Police... but it was very clear were all in good fun. Also gave her tons of compliments. She loved and respected Madonna and said so many times.

Thanks for posting that quote from the book!

Love that Joan and M reminded me of each other in so many ways. They both said bluntly what they felt even though it was not considered politically correct. I also very much appreciated how both were always hard working, which was a reflection of their tough as nails characters.

Didn't Melissa worked for Madonna back during the Maverick years?

I still miss Joan, i loved her so much. I got teary again during the Daytime Emmy Tribute for Joan a week ago. And I really admire how Melissa is handeling it all.

A bit, but I live a sad life. Good on you for not knowing.

i realised when she said melissa's last name just as i posted the reply, but i couldn't correct it because i was on the phone. and they're not that known outside of the us anyway so i have a good excuse ;)

Oooh tell us the people she went in on??? Which celebs she no like?!!!

She makes it clear that Joan did not like Jay Leno or Ben Stiller at all. Those were the two biggies. A bit about Gwyneth Paltrow too. Melissa also sort of snubbed Kathy Griffin when talking about the younger female comics that Joan was always friends with - but you can't really blame her, after Kathy completely threw Fashion Police under the bus (Melissa being the executive producer).

There's a bit about Ellen DeGeneres as well. She sort of says Joan thought positively of her, but in a shady way took a jab at her "nice girl" comedy style. If you watch little side-bits and clips of Joan over the years, I think it's pretty clear she wasn't a fan of Ellen and that's probably the best way for Melissa to say so without upsetting the wrong people, because for some reason completely lost to me...everyone seems to love Ellen.

Thanks Tomwiggz ^ How very interesting, would love to of hear it from Joan. Damn sad she is here no more, she was just full of life!

Guest Medoner

I think you can really tell that Joan liked Madonna here, Joan was just doing her job whenever she made fun of Madonna :lol:

Cool clip i loved it :)