Madonna's Wikipedia photo: the never-ending saga.

Guest HaveASit

It's not that easy. There is someone who "controls" her page. It's more of a panel. If they don't like your edits/changes, they will vote it down and eventually remove it.

You can't use official or press shots as the main wiki photo. They have to be license free photos. MadFan fought with the guy to get it changed in 2012 by using photos he took at the MDNA tour, they were gorgeous photos btw, but the guy kept fighting it down

Ass

I don't understand how this works. Who is this "guy" or "panel" and why does he or they have so much control over her wiki page? Random people or actual fans?

I don't understand how this works. Who is this "guy" or "panel" and why does he or they have so much control over her wiki page? Random people or actual fans?

Cause he's made so many edits to the page i believe. I don't remember, I did research on this a few years, but I don't remember how it all works.

If you look at the History page you can see his comments for each revision, he is such a nasty stippler.

Cause he's made so many edits to the page i believe. I don't remember, I did research on this a few years, but I don't remember how it all works.

If you look at the History page you can see his comments for each revision, he is such a nasty stippler.

Thanks for trying to explain. I looked at it and it's like trying to figure out what aliens on Mars are doing. :huh:

I mostly contribute to the French Wiki but for the English one there's maybe two or three users who "control" the whole Madonna pages.

I wonder if it's Thebigham.

madonnasandy.jpg

yess!!! One of my absolute favourite photos of M, I love whenever you post I see it as your avatar. Her face reflects the face on the hat. Did anyone see the cropped version of it where it was more portrait, and had a border of tiled crops of just the hat?

yess!!! One of my absolute favourite photos of M, I love whenever you post I see it as your avatar. Her face reflects the face on the hat. Did anyone see the cropped version of it where it was more portrait, and had a border of tiled crops of just the hat?

No!

Find it! :dramatic:

Can someone please use a Met Gala pic for her Wikipedia page? They all look great so it really doesn't matter which one. :)

Did you happen to take any of the photos?

Infobox image
120px-Madonna_%C3%A0_Nice_30_2.jpg
Option 1 (August 2012). The current, disputed infobox image that has been in place since approximately April 2014.
120px-Madonna_%C3%A0_Nice_9.jpg
Option 2 (August 2012). The boldly added replacement for Option 1 that was reverted by IndianBio.
120px-Madonna_at_the_premiere_of_I_Am_Be
Option 3 (April 2008). Previously served as this article's lead image. Some editors argue that this is too old, but there are no policies or guidelines on how recent a lead image must be.

I boldly changed the infobox image from File:Madonna à Nice 30 2.jpg to File:Madonna à Nice 9.jpg – a photo of the same concert on the same date – feeling the former to be too grainy and low-quality. The change was immediately reverted, so here we are. Granted, the latter image is not the most flattering shot of Madonna (IMO, neither is the former/current image) but I do think it is noticeably better quality with less graininess.

In addition to the MDNA cheerleader outfit picture, I would also like editors to consider File:Madonna at the premiere of I Am Because We Are.jpg, which is a much more viable image as it is of excellent quality. This picture was shut down by a few editors during the last infobox image discussion for being "too old," though the picture is only from 2008 and Madonna has not drastically changed in appearance since then. Additionally, WP:LEADIMAGE does not make any point about using the most recent image available of a person. Its only requirements are that lead images serve as "natural and appropriate visual representations of the topic." It also says that such images "should also be the type of image that is used for similar purposes in high-quality reference works;" its higher quality puts it more in line with the type of image we would see in a high-quality reference work about Madonna.

Please state your preference below with reasoning as necessary. –Chase (talk / contribs) 00:40, 27 April 2015 (UTC)

• Option 3 is my ultimate preference for reasons stated above, but Option 2 would be a massive upgrade from the current image. –Chase (talk / contribs) 00:40, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
  • Option 3 she looks happier and more natural in that then the others. I don't think Option 2 is a good idea due to the microphone in front of her face. Snuggums (talk / edits) 01:16, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
  • Option 3, obviously. I can't believe someone's even asking. --Light show (talk) 02:18, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
  • Option 3 until and unless something better comes up. That image is from 2008, is their anything grossly different from Madonna of 2008 to Madonna of now? I don't think so. If not option 3 then option 1 only. Can't believe option 2 is even under consideration. —Indian:BIO [ ChitChat ] 05:44, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
  • Option 3 - While Madonna's appearance was once known for changing all the time, the third photo is the best quality, shows her in a neutral light as a normal person, and is recognisably her. Ritchie333 (talk) (cont) 07:45, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
... "a normal person"?! surely you mean "an international celebrity superstar"?? Martinevans123 (talk) 17:37, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
  • Option 3 - Best quality, good head/shoulder aspect, good for recognition - still representative even if from 2008, normal facial expression. (Hohum @) 16:40, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
  • Option 3--Moxy (talk) 17:10, 27 April 2015 (UTC)

(←) In the face of already-overwhelming preference for the third picture, I will go ahead and add a slightly cropped version of it to the infobox. Any further comments can be directed below. –Chase (talk / contribs) 17:22, 27 April 2015 (UTC)

12px-Symbol_thumbs_up.svg.png And maybe cropping off the left white background, or even some more, would help center her face.--Light show (talk) 21:14, 27 April 2015 (UTC) I found the crop on Commons. Someone else may have to crop it more. –Chase (talk / contribs) 22:36, 27 April 2015 (UTC):: The option #3 image already has it cropped. Can we use it instead? --Light show (talk) 22:52, 27 April 2015 (UTC) Sure, I'll go ahead and replace it. –Chase (talk / contribs) 23:13, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
  • Option 3 is fine with me. As stated above, Option 2 is unsuitable because her face is obstructed by the mic. nagualdesign 20:57, 27 April 2015 (UTC)
  • Option 3 - Good image, Madonna isn't only a singer anymore, therefore, the others are limiting in representation. -- WV 15:57, 5 May 2015 (UTC)

What stuns me is the shortage of public domain Madonna images available. We're talking about the world's best-selling recording artist here, and it's all the choice we have? Could one please elaborate some more on what constitutes a public domain image? Madonna's been active since 1978, played in two bands, did some acting, then released her first single in 1982. There must be a lot more such images available for us to use. I'm personally sick of Option 3. It's a real nice picture, but we've seen it enough.

Shame we can't use official Madonna promo pics such as this one: http://images1.miaminewtimes.com/imager/u/original/7543458/madonna_rebel_heart_tour_dates_2015.jpg Israell (talk) 03:00, 28 April 2015 (UTC)

Find images that would look good for the lead, but not of any famous shots from albums and the like; find out who owns it; send them an email asking if they'd like to allow it in WP under license, where they would still own the copyright, could limit the size, and have full credit given. That worked for Woody Allen, but another photographer said "no" to Stanley Kubrick. Or just contact her record companies, which probably have hundreds of unused images. --Light show (talk) 03:42, 28 April 2015 (UTC) I tried searching for an e-mail ID for Interscope records but could not find any, can someone guide? —Indian:BIO [ ChitChat ] 05:23, 28 April 2015 (UTC)

someone pls change it to MET GALA 2015 look.

That would be ideal.

I hate the Madonna Wiki. I was gonna go on there and complain about the heavy reliance on that awful book The Complete Guide to the Music of Madonna. It's not just cuz the author clearly isn't a fan, it's full of subjective bullshit and unlike the other books in the series was terribly written. Tellingly this "author" wrote nothing else.

Once again, if any of you has valuable photos of M that you took personally and is willing to share them on Wiki, don't hesitate :) I'd be more than happy to put a more recent picture of M with high quality

someone pls change it to MET GALA 2015 look.

We can't change the pic I'm afraid, we can't just use any pic, it needs to be a royalty free pic. (+ bunch of other rules I didn't bother reading) this thread is about that annoying fact

those "rules" are just made for some weirdos with too much time on their hands to feel important and in control of something. its bullshit. just put a nice pic that represents madonna at her best & typical "madonna" as people know her.

SIMPLE.

Lol, those are Wikipedias official guidelines.

It's a free site, run by people, so having to use royalty free images is just common practice.

those "rules" are just made for some weirdos with too much time on their hands to feel important and in control of something. its bullshit. just put a nice pic that represents madonna at her best & typical "madonna" as people know her.

SIMPLE.

You think people didn't try that before?