Tori Amos on Madonna

bangbang

To be fair, from music business only Rita Ora, Tori Amos and Kylie Minogue have talked about it. Am I wrong? We need a list so we can remember it in the future, when the rest of the starlets ask for help.

Kylie Minogue on ageism

"Minogue said she watched Madonna’s Brit Awards fall and had an overwhelming feeling of ‘There but for the grace of God go I’, as many performers did.

“I absolutely felt for her,” Minogue says. “With big performances like that, so much thought and time and attention to detail goes into everything. And then basically s--- happens. But she had a marvellous recovery. I think it’s actually a good reminder that Madonna’s human. It’s good for us to know that.”

While promoting her new album Madonna has called out the ageism levelled at her for her clothing choices and daring to make pop music after 50. Minogue got a similar level of criticism with her Sexercise video last year, with many offended she was showing off her body with a sexually-charged video at age 46.

And like Madonna, you never read a Kylie Minogue story these days without her age being mentioned, with both women forging new ground for pop stars over 40, even if some radio stations have put them out to pasture.

“There’s common ground for myself and Madonna there,” Minogue says of the focus on age.

“I don’t even take notice of how old my friends are. It’s a sign of the times today that age isn’t that relevant. Certainly not to me or my generation. Therefore it’s kind of hard to explain.

“I don’t think people want to see Madonna in an old Greek lady’s house dress on the stoop do they? They want glamour, they want fantasy. Maybe it doesn’t make sense in every day life, whatever normal is, I don’t even know any more..