Appreciate the brilliance of... "I Fucked Up"

Guest Pud Whacker

It's such a beautiful song.

The "or not" end is actually brilliant, because it can be interpreted in oh so many ways, but no one (but M) would know the truth behind it.

Thought I was the only 1 who liked this song. And yes it shoulda been on the standard. Put Superstar on the bonus disc and say bye-bye. Beautiful Killer shoulda been on standard too.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only 1 who even likes MDNA.

oh no, I still listen to it all the time. It's an adventurous, musically/thematically rich album filtered through a Top 40 lens imo. I don't know if it's the long break between albums or the fact that it's called MDNA, but I've always thought that it was a bit of a creative rebirth for her.

I love I F--ked Up too but lbr she would never "run naked on the beach all soaking wet". She'd be covered from the neck down in an all white outfit

I always try to wrestle a solid answer out of people who say they hated MDNA and I never get 1. I want to know why it's such a notorious album in her catalogue but I can't seem to figure out what it is about it that people hate. Is it just a songwriting issue or what? Forget the bad 1st single, what is it?

I'm a huge advocate of MDNA!!! Her EDM stuff has always been my favorite and after all the experimental albums from Ray of Light, Music and American Life it was so good to hear a current, musically up to date album from M. Hard Candy could have been that album for me and I really expected it to be but I was so disappointed with the Timbaland tracks. Probably because the bar had been set so high with Furtado's and Timberlake's albums which I had really enjoyed. I enjoyed Miles Away and somewhat enjoyed 4 Minutes but the rest was a let down. The Pharrel tracks were awesome tho. I was ecstatic when I listened to MDNA the first time, it's sounds so fresh and new.

I always try to wrestle a solid answer out of people who say they hated MDNA and I never get 1. I want to know why it's such a notorious album in her catalogue but I can't seem to figure out what it is about it that people hate. Is it just a songwriting issue or what? Forget the bad 1st single, what is it?

I love MDNA as well. Have noticed that a lot hate a few songs with a passion and then forget the great songs on it. All a matter of opinion of course but I even love some of the hated songs such as GGW and Turn up the Radio. Add Lovespent, I'm addicted, Falling Free, I'm a sinner, Gang Bang and Beautiful Killer and it is wonderful to me. Hell, I even get a laugh out of Birthday song :nocomment: - like a sort of Sonny and Cher feel and I don't take it seriously.

I love MDNA as well. Have noticed that a lot hate a few songs with a passion and then forget the great songs on it. All a matter of opinion of course but I even love some of the hated songs such as GGW and Turn up the Radio. Add Lovespent, I'm addicted, Falling Free, I'm a sinner, Gang Bang and Beautiful Killer and it is wonderful to me. Hell, I even get a laugh out of Birthday song :nocomment: - like a sort of Sonny and Cher feel and I don't take it seriously.

Nicely put, Jan. Personally, I love almost everything on this album. It definitely doesn't deserve the hate.

I remember how fans couldn't get enough of it when it leaked but once the freshness wore off and boredom set in, they started bashing it - They do it with her previous album when a new one comes along. I bet Rebel Heart will suffer the same fate too.

Thought I was the only 1 who liked this song. And yes it shoulda been on the standard. Put Superstar on the bonus disc and say bye-bye. Beautiful Killer shoulda been on standard too.

i like MDNA too but remove SOME GIRLS, IM A SINNER and replace with I FUCKED UP and BEST FRIEND

Guest Pud Whacker

I always approach MDNA as vinyl and with that, I LOVE side 2.

Masterpiece is one of my favorite madonna songs. Love the vocals in Falling Free. Beautiful Killer is perfect. And, of course, I love I Fucked Up.

Nicely put, Jan. Personally, I love almost everything on this album. It definitely doesn't deserve the hate.

I remember how fans couldn't get enough of it when it leaked but once the freshness wore off and boredom set in, they started bashing it - They do it with her previous album when a new one comes along. I bet Rebel Heart will suffer the same fate too.

Have already noticed it happening on the forum with Rebel Heart as well. A few that were raving about it previously have since said they are already over it. :mellow: I have the opposite effect, songs grow on me more and more.

MINE TOO!

Same here, I forgot to mention Masterpiece but it is beautiful. Such a gorgeous ballad.

Guest ditaluver

Masterpiece is the first song I put on off MDNA. when it first came out, I would listen over and over in my car lol

Its a beautiful and heartfelt song. I just adore it.

I think Superstar and Birthday song shouldve been binned. (sorry). MDNA had quite a few good tracks and I like the majority of it. But hey ho, a couple of the better ones have been left. We can go on about things like this forever (dont mention demos). M did it, shes the artist and weve all got different tastes but I fucked up shouldve been exposed more.

I always try to wrestle a solid answer out of people who say they hated MDNA and I never get 1.

The mixing / mastering. Her voice sounds so shrill and weak, compared to Rebel Heart. Like she's 10m away. I can't take it. Look at what "Love Spent" could have been.

OT: The bridge of 'I Fucked Up' is LIFE ITSELF.

Love this song still play it a lot actually!

Been one of my faves from MDNA since the first time I heard it.

I actually replaced I'm A Sinner with this song so for me it was always on the standard album. :lol:

I thought we had discussed this many times, and i think many answers have been given. Here is mine. It's an opinion of course and everybody can have a different opinion.

1. Songs aren't good enough and even the good ones are weak. You just have to listen to Rebel Heart to feel the magic of a Madonna bridge or melody.

2. Her voice is like some robot who tries to impersonate Madonna. Speeded up, too high, trying to sound youthful. I don't feel connected to her voice as i do with other albums. Only in certain songs i like her voice.

3. The production is generic and adds nothing musically in half the songs.

To summ it up: since the problems with Guy, she got into Autopilot and only released a bit of her magic. She became creative and great again when she was planning the MDNA tour.

In my case, my relationship with Madonna's music is all about the emotions, more than quality of songs. Maybe it's because she was a very important part of my childhood, as I commented in that Bill's thread about being a gay kid in the 80s and how Madonna was the only part where you could taste freedom and acceptance.

So, certaing melodies, bridges, inotations, strength in the voice, make click in my head. That's why Living for Love is one of my all time fav songs from Madonna. The same with the vid, it has the moves, imaginery...

So, when i don't feel the emotion, no matter if the album is good, i simply don't connect. That's what i call myself "the magic" of her songs, voice, feeling. I have connected with ALL albums except HC and MDNA. I reconnected again with RH full force.

Interesting..

But I feel emotions on most of the MDNA songs.

Wild and carefree:

GGW

IA

TUTR

Anger:

Gang Bang

I Dont Give A

Sadness/Pity:

I Fucked Up

Falling Free

Best Friend

Love Spent

Love:

Superstar :lmao: yes, childish love

and the pinnacle of the album - Masterpiece

And iTunes knows what I love and gave me 2 copies of Masterpiece :lol:

I guess to each his own.

^ exactly. That's why some fans aren't feeling RH much. Other didn't feel MDNA, others love ROL but others think that BS was better. To each their own.

One big fan of Madonna from my city loves MDNA so much and confessed me that he was trying to like RH but didn't got into the album. So, there you have.

The only songs that play a chord inside of me, from MDNA, are Best Friend and I Fucked UP. The rest i simply like. I like BK, i like GB, I like I'm a Sinner, Falling Free, Some Girls, Love Spent... I like them, but don't feel them as i feel LFL or GT or almost 99% of the songs in RH.

Such an overlooked gem!

I especially love the middle part when it speeds up and how the arrangement gets fuller and fuller until it leads into the last part where it slows down again and unfolds itself in all its glory.

Edited by Illuminati