Morrissey backs Madonna in fight against ageism

Camacho

http://www.3news.co.nz/entertainment/morrissey-backs-madonna-in-fight-against-ageism-2015042107#ixzz3Y22cGKAU

Morrissey backs Madonna in fight against ageism

Tuesday 21 Apr 2015 7:00 a.m.

Rocker Morrissey has joined forces with his arch-enemy Madonna in her battle against ageism.

The former The Smiths frontman has waged war against the 'Material Girl' since the early days of his career, and has previously branded her "absurd", "offensive", and "closer to organised prostitution than anything else".

However, he has now thrown his support behind the veteran pop star after she accused bosses at Britain's BBC Radio 1 earlier this year of shunning her new music because of her age.

He tells Spanish newspaper El Mundo, "I think Madonna is right. For example, BBC Radio 1 does not pick her music because she's too old. But the music is good or bad, and the age of the interpreter is irrelevant. With this gesture, Radio 1 tries to look in on the wave... but all it does is show (it is) ridiculous, because it is saying that music will only [interest] youngsters, regardless of whether it is good or not. Who does that help?"

Morrissey is not the first star to support Madonna in her ageism row - last week Rita Ora thanked her online for "paving a way" for older singers.

He's bonkers, but he's right. The whole interview with El Mundo is very interesting. To be fair, this "bonkers" people like Morrissey are far more sane nowadays than most of the so-called leaders of opinion that fill pages and pages of nonsense.

says a lot when older artists like morrissey agree with her and rihanna etc are silent. she's probably not asked about it, but still. if other artists would speak up, radio 1 would have to rethink what they are doing.

It's true that the younger artists should voice together for the older artists... but they're young and not suffering at the moment, they're earning money and likes on instagram, so what do they care about the music business being ageist?

It's true that the younger artists should voice together for the older artists... but they're young and not suffering at the moment, they're earning money and likes on instagram, so what do they care about the music business being ageist?

Well she's paving the way and opening doors for these ungrateful cunts, least they could do is show some support

I love how the ageism issue is finally being confronted and Madonna is IMO the main person that has started this battle. It's just after Madonna's statements that other artists like Boy George, Rita Ora, Kanye West and Morrisey have spoken.

What grates me about this ageism is the fact that these people mocking and laughing. Where are they gonna be when they are 56?

Certainly not with a large pile of money and many Beautiful ladies.

What grates me about this ageism is the fact that these people mocking and laughing. Where are they gonna be when they are 56?

Certainly not with a large pile of money and many Beautiful ladies.

Trust me when all these Pop princesses hit 40-50 Madonna is going to be a huge topic of convo.

They're gonna wish they paid more attention to Madonna's vitality and energy at her current age

Yay Moz. Finally a thread about ageism I can get on board with. Rita Ora :voodoo: what the fuck would she know, it's easy for her to say. Madge ain't paving no way for you, your 15 mins are up soon!

Exactly. That silly twunt has ageism to THANK that a bimbo like her gets a job as a talent show judge rather than a woman who's actually been in the business for over 10 years and knows their shit.

If it matters at all, Moz opinion might carry some weight due to music critics and journalists viewing him as some alternative indie God.

Honestly, as a fan of his music, pretty surprised he made this statement.

Trust me when all these Pop princesses hit 40-50 Madonna is going to be a huge topic of convo.

They're gonna wish they paid more attention to Madonna's vitality and energy at her current age

The second wave of Pop Princesses are creeping up there already; Bianca, Xtina and Derpney are hitting the mid 30s. Kylie has shown that a Hung Up is probably a one off and after 40 is the danger zone - ROL and Music were miraculous enough A "Believe" and "Maria" are precedents yet to be replicated even by Madonna.

Guest HaveASit

The ageism industry is becoming worse each year. 10 years ago, having 40 years was the deadline for a mainstream artist achieve commercial success with singles before being labeled as an old hag. Today, its 35. Tomorrow, it will be 30.

So, Madonna's battle is not only to open doors for women over 40 to continue havig hits. Its way bigger than this. She is showing how this industry keeps lowering its age limit every time, until we reach a point when the charts will be exclusive to 20 and something artists.

And it really surprises me the fact that NO ONE of those Pop princesses is suporting her.

How Britney's, or Christina's, or Beyonce's (singles), or Avril's career are doing after they hit 30?

Bitch, this subject directly afects you. Do something.

The ageism industry is becoming worse each year. 10 years ago, having 40 years was the deadline for a mainstream artist achieve commercial success with singles before being labeled as an old hag. Today, its 35. Tomorrow, it will be 30.

So, Madonna's battle is not only to open doors for women over 40 to continue havig hits. Its way bigger than this. She is showing how this industry keeps lowering its age limit every time, until we reach a point when the charts will be exclusive to 20 and something artists.

And it really surprises me the fact that NO ONE of those Pop princesses is suporting her.

How Britney's, or Christina's, or Beyonce's (singles), or Avril's career are doing after they hit 30?

Bitch, this subject directly afects you. Do something.

I don't agree. Precisely thanks to Madonna nobody calls Kylie old. Ten years ago Kylie would have got shit for being half naked on stage. Now it's normal that a woman in her 40s is showing skin

Guest Rachelle of London

Britney is considered old. There was an article calling Beyonce an old hag. They're only 33.

Guest HaveASit

I don't agree. Precisely thanks to Madonna nobody calls Kylie old. Ten years ago Kylie would have got shit for being half naked on stage. Now it's normal that a woman in her 40s is showing skin

Apples and oranges. People now are open for women over 40 being half naked on stage, but it doesnt mean they will buy their records or the radio will play their music.

What is truly scary is that the entertainment industry give way too much power to teens hence why we have shitty music and films. They are their focus.

The entertainment industry and pop culture were born from the teen mouvement though, before the 50's there was no such things as teenagers, they were considered young men and women but had no specific space to exist, they were not children anymore and not yet adults (BRITNEYYYYYY !) , Rock n roll and teenage culture were created for these babyboomers, they were so many and people from the industry realized there was money to be made so pop culture was born. Pop singers were not supposed to last, Elvis died at 42 and was considered a has been, The Beatles separated after 10 years....

Even when she started Madonna never thought she would be making pop music at 50, she said in an interview that she wanted to be an actress because she did not see herself doing this when she's 40 (around the like a virgin era).

Longevity in pop is something new, Bowie completly fucked it up with bad albums in the mid 80's till the mid 90's but in the 90's things were different, people liked pop singers no matter their age, MTV really helped break many grounds. Madonna's "comeback" with Ray of light was really helped by MTV.

I don't understand the obsession people have with age. Really, who gives a fuck? When I was 18 yes it was a big deal but when I got over 30 I realised its just a number. Would anyone really want to go back to being 18 or 21 again? These young clowns that haven't got a clue about anything not to mention no taste whatsoever. When Ray Of Light came out, I was 16 but I had been into Madonna for probably about 6 years at that stage. But I remember quite a few people around my age being really really into it and not giving a shit that Madonna was 40. This younger generation are the most stupid out of any

Guest Rachelle of London

Don't blame the younger generation. It's the people who advise and shove ageism down the consumers throats. Blame the TV execs, readily controllers, journalists etc look at radio 1, it's not young people saying they don't wanna listen to madonna. It's the execs saying that.

I highly doubt the average teenager cares what age their fave popstar is. Pink, Beyoncé, gaga, Rihanna, most famous rappers are all way older and still popular with that demographic.

Guest ditaluver

the new people issue, the most beautiful, is ALL about age. from front to back. i was sort of surprised once I started to take notice. you know, madonna is never chosen as a 50+ beautiful whatever. its astonishing to me cause I think shes the most beautiful person on the planet. just reminded me how fucking ludacris that entire industry is.