Her voice!

Guest Sinisin

Guest Sinisin

I can't stop listening to this album in part due to her vocals on this album! The Madonna nuisances we've grown to truly love are slathered all over every track. I fell in love with her voice before anything else. Its uniquely beautiful and shines through more in this album than any I can remember since LAP.

Guest Sinisin

Which songs for you capture those M vocals you are obsessed with?

For me I'm obsessed with Borrowed Time's vocals. The verses feel raw and i looooove it too much!

For me the best vocals in Rebel Heart are: Ghosttown, Inside Out, Joan Of Arc, Devil Pray, Messiah and Rebel Heart.

I also find very interesting and cute her voice in Body Shop.

Guest Sinisin

Body shop vocals are truly unique. Untouched and just... different, so nice. Mdna was great but her vocals were so over mixed and over tuned. Obsessed! Lol.

Guest Sinisin

JoA for sure, untouched. Does she think we want her to be perfectly melodic? I need to hear those things in Promise to Try, and LTT that convey emotion that some would deem imperfect, but are vocal choices that heighten and emphasize the lyric. She has to stop the auto tune...this album proves that.

^I agree! Though I want to highlight Devil Pray's vocals, so raw and emotional! Ditto for Borrowed Time.

The clarity of her rich vocals on the ballads and mid-tempo tracks are gorgeous. The diversity of how she uses her vocals across the album is splendid. Can't pick a song. I love them all.

This!!!

Often, artists voices tend to get worse the older they get but M's voice seems to be better than ever. She sounds great!

Devil Pray, Ghosttown, Hold Tight, Joan of Arc, Inside Out, Messiah, Beautiful Scars, Borrowed Time, Rebel Heart - no-one could sing them as well. Could name other songs as well. Her vocals are wonderful on this album.

She can definitely be a vocal chameleon which I don't think a lot of people in the general public realize about her. "Body Shop" is a perfect example - what an interesting vocal on this song. There is a personality she puts on here to fit the song. This is the case on many of her songs - it could be different people singing. It truly takes talent to do this.

Also, notice her own background vocals on a lot of the album, and all throughout her career... not just the backgrounds supplied by other artists, but her own. For example, on "Living For Love" and "Addicted" she adds a very high background layer. It's really interesting.

Her vocal abilities and knowledge of melody, harmony and even character never fails to amaze me.

She can definitely be a vocal chameleon which I don't think a lot of people in the general public realize about her. "Body Shop" is a perfect example - what an interesting vocal on this song. There is a personality she puts on here to fit the song. This is the case on many of her songs - it could be different people singing. It truly takes talent to do this.

Also, notice her own background vocals on a lot of the album, and all throughout her career... not just the backgrounds supplied by other artists, but her own. For example, on "Living For Love" and "Addicted" she adds a very high background layer. It's really interesting.

Her vocal abilities and knowledge of melody, harmony and even character never fails to amaze me.

Love this!!

I couldn't agree more. I feel like she's found a good balance with her vocals. There seems to be more of that "raw", rich feeling her 80's vocals had but with the power of her post Evita voice.

I love her vocals on the album. She projects the mood she's feeling . For example , HeartBreak City her vocals our full of anger , hurt and resentment . Joan of Arc she expressive soft vulnerability . Messiah is opera as with Evita. She sings playfully in Body Shop.

But the one song that grabs at my whole soul is Wash All Over Me. Even with the intentional underwater distorted sound throughout, her vocals are superb. When the harmonious chorus kicks in with " who am I to decide what should be done?", it gives me chills. The song is sad yet blissfully beautiful to the point when the choir joins in I literally tear up.

The writing on Rebel Heart is out of this world too. I think twelve of the songs are among the best written songs that she has ever produced. I love me some M-

1. Living for Love

2. Devil Pray

3. Ghosttown

4. Joan of Arc

5. Heartbreak City

6. Inside Out

7. Wash All Over Me

8. Messiah

9. Rebel Heart

10. Borrowed Time

11. Beautiful Scars

12. Queen

I also was thinking, haven't heard her voice this beautiful/raw since Evita. Of course, there were a few stand-outs on every album (before and after Evita)....but not as many as we have with RH!!! And YES!!! On one stereo system I have, I can hear M's backing vocals/harmonies ALOT (which I've always loved)!!! RH is shaping up to be one of my top 3 Madonna albums. But she sure did give us ALOT of great tunes on this record!!

This!!!

Often, artists voices tend to get worse the older they get but M's voice seems to be better than ever. She sounds great!

While I still think M has some great stuff in her, I've definitely noticed the wear and tear on her voice. I think as long as she sticks within her range of comfort we'll be fine, but without some serious fresh vocal training I don't think we'll be hearing, say, Ray of Light anytime soon.

With that said, her voice is still beautiful, but different. The album does a great job of showcasing her current strengths.

By the way, really pissed God is Love didnt make the album. I think that's a song filled with both Rebel and Heart.

This!!!

Agree 100%

Wonderful thread!

While I still think M has some great stuff in her, I've definitely noticed the wear and tear on her voice. I think as long as she sticks within her range of comfort we'll be fine, but without some serious fresh vocal training I don't think we'll be hearing, say, Ray of Light anytime soon.

With that said, her voice is still beautiful, but different. The album does a great job of showcasing her current strengths.

By the way, really pissed God is Love didnt make the album. I think that's a song filled with both Rebel and Heart.

Actually, Ray of Light was above her range then. Orbit has commented on this many times. He felt that the strain actually created a beautiful effect. I agree. One thing that has always impressed me with Madonna is that her vocals are clear. This trend has remained throughout her career. There are very few times when the lyrics are in distinguishable. Janet Jackson for instance, definitely requires lyric inclusions in her material.

I agree with you 110% that God is Love and maybe Revolution should have made the cut. Not bitching but she could have left S.E.X. off and included both songs. God is Love is far more Rebel and far more Heart than S.E.X. S.E.X. is fun though as a one off demo sort of thing.

Edited by sul8323