What is your favourite version of the Blond Ambition Tour?

Guest bluejean

86 members have voted

1. 1. Best filmed verison of Blond Ambition

• Yokohama
    • Barcelona
    • Nice
  2. 2. Best audio only version

• Yokohama
    • Dallas
    • London
    • Barcelona
    • Nice

^The curls made their debut inj Europe.

karbatal- you don't hear her singing along to the album vocals of WTP? Or maybe that particular performance it wasn't as noticeable. Same goes for EY on the tour. Those two get a bad rap for being mimed, when they technically were not.

All of these recordings serve a purpose and have their pros, but on the whole, I'd probably go with Nice.

I've got several bootlegs of BA and it appears to me that some nights she completely lipped Express Yourself whilst other nights she sang along to the backing track. I'm fairly sure this is the case for Vogue and Papa Don't Preach also.

Where's The Party appears to be the only song to be permanently lipped which is understandable considering the choreography, same with EY.

Guest Pud Whacker

Yokohama mainly becuz of the ponytail. For me, Blond Ambition is not Blond Ambition without the PONYTAIL :lol:

Of course!!! I agree. And that's how I saw five nights in a row in Los Angeles.

I learned the Nice show by heart. I think that's why I love it so.

Guest bluejean

I really wish she'd release a live audio version of the London show with the Nice DVD. The vocals aren't as strong as Yokohama but something about it is just PERFECT.

Guest bluejean

And that's how I saw five nights in a row in Los Angeles.

Can you please tell us which Madonna shows you have attended (I want a whole list!)

Guest Pud Whacker

Can you please tell us which Madonna shows you have attended (I want a whole list!)

Virgin Tour - Universal Amphitheater 1985 1 night

Who's That Girl Tour - Anaheim Stadium 1987 1 night

Blond Ambition - Sports Arena 1990 5 nights

Drowned World Tour - Las Vegas MGM Grand 1 night, Los Angeles Staples Center 3 nights.

Reinvention Tour - Los Angles Forum 3 nights

Confessions Tour - 13 nights LA, NY, Arizona, Fresno, London

Sticky and Sweet 6 nights, LA, NY, NJ, Miami

MDNA 4 nights, LA, Las Vegas, Arizona

Did she really do 5 nights in a row in LA?

That's fucking amazing!

YES! and they had HUGE (30 feet tall) images from the tour book all around the Sports Arena. it was marvelous.

tumblr_nnbr1uWnwT1qlycwjo1_540.png

Guest bluejean

That's so cool.

As an Australian fan this will be my first time seeing her. Looking at your list I'm wondering if 2 nights will be enough :lol:

Guest Pud Whacker

That's so cool.

As an Australian fan this will be my first time seeing her. Looking at your list I'm wondering if 2 nights will be enough :lol:

omg, really?

NO TWO NIGHTS WONT BE ENOUGH!!!

go every night!!! :inlove:

I love Yokohama cos it was my first audio back in the day! But I really enjoy all of them! Barcelona is the craziest performance, she was having lots of fun and I love her hair, and when she forgets the lyrics on Sooner or Later and claning the stage, and EY is the best of it all! !

Guest bluejean

I relistened to London last night and I've changed my mind.

Yokohama is hands down the best audio! I might give Dallas another go though.

• 3 weeks later...

i have only ever seen yokohoma. i live for the ponytail!

i downloaded nice last night. i watched express yourself but ill finish the rest tomorrow. shes soooo energetic!

where can i find the barcelona one? i want to see M swear and have poofy hair

Filmed: Nice. It's just perfect besides some rough vocals but it was the last stop of the tour so it's whatever. Barcelona is a close second for the overall wackiness.

Audio: Gotta go with London. That filthy mouth! It's so much fun!

Does anyone know when the Pioneer/Laserdisc contract that holds the rights is actually up? I've read online that it was a 25 year contract that held the rights to the footage...its 25 years this year.

What in the fuck Carly???

:lol:

Choosing between curls and the ponytail...., it's like choosing whose your favorite child! I JUST CANT!!

There's so many factors to this, the audio, the attitude, the speeches, the video....,

NICE FOR THE WIN!

Excerpt from an interview with Toby Phillips, Truth or Dare's cinematographer regarding the pony tail to curls change:

"For an artist such as Madonna, obviously her image is very important, so were there any other technical challenges in presenting Madonna in the best light on the big screen?

There was another conversation that Madonna and I had about her hair. She had often used that I Dream of Jeannie hairdo, with her hair pulled back in a tight bun at the back of the head and it was my feeling that for the movie, that was a little severe. I thought that she looked a good balance between commanding and a little bit more feminine with the blonde bob look. I dont know whether I talked her into it, but I told her which one I preferred.

In truth, she probably could have done both. Thinking about the way it was edited, it wouldnt have been bad to have a show where she did it with one look and a show where she did it with the other look and then through the cut, put in a bit of both. So, Im not sure who decided that she just did it all the same way."

http://thebeatswithin.blogspot.com.ar/2011/12/truth-or-dare-toby-phillips-speaks.html?m=1

Lisa Hollingshead, ToD producer:

thebeatswithin: Cutting back to David Finchers involvement in the original concept of doing a concert movie did he actually shoot any of the shows in Japan?

Yes, he shot all of the Tokyo shows.

thebeatswithin: On 35mm film?

We always shot on 35mm film in those days. THE CONCERT WAS SHOT ON 35MM AND THE DOCUMENTARY WAS SHOT ON 16MM IN BLACK AND WHITE.

http://thebeatswithin.blogspot.com.ar/2011/09/truth-or-dare-lisa-hollingshead-speaks.html?m=1

Lisa Hollingshead, ToD producer:

thebeatswithin: Cutting back to David Finchers involvement in the original concept of doing a concert movie did he actually shoot any of the shows in Japan?

Yes, he shot all of the Tokyo shows.

thebeatswithin: On 35mm film?

We always shot on 35mm film in those days. THE CONCERT WAS SHOT ON 35MM AND THE DOCUMENTARY WAS SHOT ON 16MM IN BLACK AND WHITE.

http://thebeatswithin.blogspot.com.ar/2011/09/truth-or-dare-lisa-hollingshead-speaks.html?m=1

I still don't get this. I wish someone would ask Fincher about it. It was always understood (before this interview) that Fincher dropped out before the tour even went on the road. Hence why Alek is right there in Japan filming. And would they really go to the expense and trouble of shooting those very early rainy/windy Tokyo shows on 35mm?