What is your favourite version of the Blond Ambition Tour?

Guest bluejean

86 members have voted

1. 1. Best filmed verison of Blond Ambition

• Yokohama
    • Barcelona
    • Nice
  2. 2. Best audio only version

• Yokohama
    • Dallas
    • London
    • Barcelona
    • Nice

Guest bluejean

Okay, let's recap.

YOKOHAMA JAPAN - Laserdisc rip

Audio: Great vocals imo the best of the tour before the throat problems started. However the arrangements of the songs haven't quite evolved into what they became on the US and European legs. Some of the classic dialogue eg "hey you don't be silly put a rubber on your willy" is absent and the speech in KIT where she tells the audience "never doubt yourself." When she speaks to the audience she sounds fairly unenthusiastic compared to later shows.

Film: Features the ponytail but visually the curtain backdrop is missing and the energy isn't as high as Nice. A good performance but not as polished as later shows.

DALLAS USA - Radio broadcast

Audio: Good vocals and the arrangements of the songs have evolved since Japan. Most of the dialogue inbetween songs has been edited out and as it's recorded from a radio broadcast the quality is pretty good but not amazing.

LONDON ENGLAND - Radio broadcast

Audio: Pretty good vocals, more throaty than earlier shows but far superior to Nice. The arrangements of the songs are perfected and the dialogue inbetween songs is legendary. This is the show where she swears constantly "fuck is not a bad word, fuck is the reason you and I are here" etc etc. Once again recorded from radio the quality is not as good as the Laserdisc rips.

BARCELONA SPAIN - TV broadcast

Audio: Throaty but not as bad as Nice. Some good dialogue in Spanish. She messes up the words in Sooner or Later. Sound isn't high quality.

Video: Infamous for big curly boofy clown hair and it being ridiculously hot. Energy levels are high, a great performance. Being a TV rip the quality is not as high as the digital rips.

NICE FRANCE - Laserdisc

Audio: Vocals are rough, her voice is strained and cuts out at times. Arrangements are perfect however the dialogue inbetween songs is not as good as London or Spain. This features Madonna's first attempt at stand up comedy which is awkward.

Video: Not as cinematic as Paris/Truth or Dare footage but the best we have of the full show. Despite rough vocals her performance is amazing. Hair is nice tight girls and while not as iconic as the ponytail look fantastic.

Totally London! I saw it live the night before and couldn't believe all the Fucks on Radio 1! For several student years my cassette copy of the Wembley gig was the only version I had and could listen back to.... Bootleg vinyl at the time was expensive... So BAT for me is totally the broadcast R1 version! Even if the quality vocally isn't the best..

Filmed - Nice

Audio - Dallas

(Though London had the best dialogue. And Yokohama is nice and clear (but is missing some 'oomph', and the arrangements are bit less developed as it was the first few dates.)

Purchased Yokohama tape from Amazon and play it on and old VCR player!

Like its rawness! M looks amazing, and she's really funny in it.

Actually prefer when M releases concerts that are NOT overly edited.

Guest Pud Whacker

Vote baby vote!

Very tough. It's between Yokohama and Nice.

Nice is very confident. Yokohama is fresh and new.

I go with Nice. X

Apart from the Paris footage included in Truth or Dare, I've only seen Nice and Yokohama, and I think definitely prefer Nice.. Gonna check out Barcelona #soon.

I've only seen the one that was released on LaserDisc in the US....... I sound like a flop fan. lol

That's Nice. :)

The Yohohama show was released only in Japan, and the Barcelona show was never released commercially.

Did you notice the difference in volume of Nicki's background vocals?

There is one version where her voice is almost as loud as Madonna's. Especially during the chorus of LAP. its raw and nice :clap:

^ yes. In Barcelona it was almost mute, though, hahahaha.

Oh, Barcelona. When she forgets the lyrics of SOL. When her hair becomes so relevant that she almost has to give it the microphone. When she is so hot and tired and everything that she doesn't give a damn in ITG. When she goes from WTP and collides with somebody but her micro is on (how weird, since that song. was mimed, hahaha) and people can hear her bitching.

I love that show to tears.

Oh, Barcelona. When she forgets the lyrics of SOL. When her hair becomes so relevant that she almost has to give it the microphone. When she is so hot and tired and everything that she doesn't give a damn in ITG. When she goes from WTP and collides with somebody but her micro is on (how weird, since that song. was mimed, hahaha) and people can hear her bitching.

I love that show to tears.

I'm gonna watch Barcelona again. I remember this show was taped and aired in many countries in Europe, back in 1990

Barcelona was my introduction to Madonna live for me as a 5 year old in Oz. I wore the tape out within months but luckily for me the broadcast was so successful that they replayed it in '91 I think and my Dad rerecorded it for me but this time the network cut NIFY from the broadcast.

Does anyone know where I can get a good DVD bootleg from so I can relive it? Does anyone have one they could copy for me?

Wow, it's been a while since I sat down and watched this show, Maybe I will watch a couple over the weekend.

Nice I believe was broadcast Live on HBO and for a very long time the VHS copy I made was all that I had. I really like the Yokohama version, that was the Laser disk one I think. have listened to all the those audio versions and it's Yokohama/Dallas toss up for me.

would have been my first live show ever but final Worcester show got cancelled due to her voice. I was mad at first then I saw how legit it was when I saw Truth or Dare.

Actually she was suffering a laryngitis for most of the tour, and at times it exacerbated.

she must have picked it up during the rainy season.

I watch Yokohama, Nice and Barcelona many times, and Nice is how the show should be. I was amazed after YEARS AND YEARS of watching Barcelona to watch Nice because it was as if Barcelona was a rehearsal from Nice.

I remember so vividly the night that they aired Barcelona, i was so nervous i was home with my VHS recorder ready. My family was shocked at how bad she sang, my father said "ugh i don't like this woman at all", my brother stayed with me, thinking she would get naked or something, hahaha. It was an EVENT! Days after, when i was watching it for the millionth time, my mother got angry and almost forbid me to watch it again, she thought i was suffering from obession.

I remember that VHS tape; I had to hide it, otherwise my brother would have recorded over it. just to never have to hear it again ; )))

I still love it. :vogue:

watching ITG now. the intro is all about safe sex. yet some of the dancers were hiv+. One of them even died.

Actually there is a Dutch crew making a documentary about the dancers at this moment.

was just re-watching Nice recently and must say its soo confident and built out compared to the Japanese and Houston show which I normally like to watch (cause of the ponytail). Nice all the way.

Barcelona

I still have the VHS my cousin recorded from SKY MOVIES And the special before it. Was so so amazing.

Plus the hair and the random t shirts

7DCA0FAE-D703-413C-B5EE-E170083D9070-528