Christine from Christine and the Queens about Madonna

Nikki

Much like the moves she employs to elevate it, her music is a slinky, sensual kind of (synth)pop. It’s playful too—a cute kink of the hip, a Fred Astaire skip, a wink, and shoulder shrug. She’s currently collaborating with choreographer Marion Motin, who has introduced her to some of the finest modern dancers in the world. On tour she’s flanked by seven of them—including some who have worked with Madonna. Ah Madonna. Ever the eagle eye for what’s hot, the long-reigning Queen of Pop caught wind of CATQ's video for “St. Claude” (nine million views and climbing) and called up Letissier’s directing duo J.A.C.K. to have them orchestrate “Living for Love.”

It’s easy to see what appealed to Madge’s sense for the up and coming: the video for “St. Claude” features Letissier looking svelte and dapper in ankle-exposing slacks and a crisp white shirt. Sliding and hip-thrusting on a red podium in a vast red room, her slender limbs extend and bend, subtly at first, until she stretches out like bubblegum wrapped round an index finger and pulled from a pert mouth. Shes looks like the coolest cat, the aesthetic modern and minimalist and the promo ends with the with the singer pulled by her solar plexus towards the heavens. It’s an image that may trigger a memory of Madonna’s Grammy performance. Corset and fishnets aside, Madge totally bit her style. Surely Letissier’s a little pissed by the direct rip? Quite the contrary.

“It’s like you’re a teenager and the pop stars in your posters are started to move—it didn’t really feel real,” explains Letissier over tea, several hours before her show. “What I love is mainly what she is. Her music is fantastic but also she’s built this character, a really empowering female, and the fights she was fighting back then are still relevant now. She’s the mother of all the badass female creatures in pop music. I felt honored: I have it on my CV now—inspired Madonna. A bit!”

it's nice for once someone is actually complimenting her music too. Many times i have the impression that other popstars are impressed by what she accomplished rather than her music. They never mention it - obviously they don't have to be fan of it.

“It’s like you’re a teenager and the pop stars in your posters are started to move—it didn’t really feel real,” explains Letissier over tea, several hours before her show. “What I love is mainly what she is. Her music is fantastic but also she’s built this character, a really empowering female, and the fights she was fighting back then are still relevant now. She’s the mother of all the badass female creatures in pop music. I felt honored: I have it on my CV now—inspired Madonna. A bit!”

:bow::clap: :clap: :clap:

Agree this article is refreshing because she mentioned M music which is not discussed enough, and how she continues to empower women which for some reason sometimes gets minimized these days.

I just read online today two very critical articles on M in everyday feminism and daily beast, so I believe we need more artists and people in media speaking up for M, especially after last week beatdown.

From what is written from some journalists, you would think M committed the worst sins ever as of pop star. I don't completely understand and feel disappointed how left leaning folk use this mob mentality to "publicly shame" of people they deem offensive. :ugh:

(i don't want to pierce your bubble but that's not she thought first. I'm friend with her GF and she felt ripped off by the finale of the Grammy performance in private but she quickly changed her tune in public because she indeed is a fan though she's more an MJ fan and because everybody told her she should be flattered. We bonded over the "Peeeeno noir" sequence in Kimmy Schmidt. Her GF is a stand up comedian & radio host, we worked on things, she's also a very involved antiracism activist..that's how we met. There, since i put this between brackets you did not read it. This never existed ^^)

I'm a HUGE fan. Will finally see her Tuesday and Thursday after a year of loving her! She's so refreshing, unique, skilled musically and just fucking awesome!

I'm going to freak when she comes out!

(i don't want to pierce your bubble but that's not she thought first. I'm friend with her GF and she felt ripped off by the finale of the Grammy performance in private but she quickly changed her tune in public because she indeed is a fan though she's more an MJ fan and because everybody told her she should be flattered. We bonded over the "Peeeeno noir" sequence in Kimmy Schmidt. Her GF is a stand up comedian & radio host, we worked on things, she's also a very involved antiracism activist..that's how we met. There, since i put this between brackets you did not read it. This never existed ^^)

yeah well, if we knew the truth about how a lot of famous people really think about each other, I'm sure we'd only see negative shit and behind the back gossiping. so this is okay. a lot of people don't say what they really think. even madonna is lately praising a lot of stars but i don't know if she likes all of them

I don't see how she would be upset as if she were copying her. The concepts come across differently. One is live and the other is on video. One is her rising to the heavens and the other is her floating up. If anything, the idea must've been conceptualized from JACK and they used it on Madonna. Either way, I LOVE Christine.