Coachella thread [continued]

Oh that's bullshit.

Name me ONE black women who could have become uber famous and gotten their own reality show taking the route Kim Kardashian and Paris Hilton have. I can't think of any. NOT ONE.

White women make sex tapes and are rewarded with reality shows, endorsements,etc. That would never work for a black woman or any non white woman period. Just ask Montana Fishburne.

Black women don't have any advantage over anyone else and especially not white women nor are they given any kind of "pass" for anything. Get real.

The backlash against Madonna has NOTHING to do with race whatsoever and absolutely everything to do with age.

The Tina Turner comparison is just silly btw. The most controversial thing she does is wear short dresses/skirt. She doesn't push the envelope the way M does so of course there's no backlash.

Disagree, but definitely see some of your points. Bey and Michele Obama are two pubic figures who receive overwhelming praise and passes from the media. The media wants them to do very well partly because of their blackness. From just reading all the time, It's apparent the media will respond negatively if they are attacked, especially if the attacks are coming from whites. Racial tensions are extremely high in the US, so I have some understanding why some people in the media feel they need to protect celebrities of color

Believe also most of criticism of M comes from age, but it's apparent that for a while now, many people have been calling M out for being an "old white woman". Writers on feminist blogs routinely call her out for appropriating both straight and gay black culture, and being privileged for her skin color. Of course M receives certain privileges for her whiteness, but not all black women are disadvantaged either. Many black women in the US still have a higher quality of life here than most other countries.

Grace Jones is totally wild and has done outrageous things on stage and I have to admit I've never heard her called out for it these days. She's described as a genius before her time, avante garde, etc etc I don't think she cops as much flack as Madonna has over the years. Grace is probably the closest artist I can think of to a black madonna.

Guest Rachelle of London

The reason why no one can be compared to Madonna to judge is no one is on Madonna's level in terms of fame. She literally is the most famous woman in the WORLD!

Madonna has always been judged harshly and horribly by the press. It has nothing to do with her being white. I am a firm believer that the press picks who they want to rubbish or praise - nothing to do with race or colour. Rihanna cops a lot of hatred from the press, Taylor Swift does not. One has a sexual image and one doesn't - nothing to do with race either. So basically, being safe and portrayed as the girl next door means less hatred. Beyonce and Tina Turner are not controversial. This is not having a go at them, just stating the obvious. There is no need to bring race into the ageism debate and say that black women have it easier. It is down-playing the racism that goes on everywhere in the world.

Guest Rachelle of London

Madonna has always been judged harshly and horribly by the press. It has nothing to do with her being white. I am a firm believer that the press picks who they want to rubbish or praise - nothing to do with race or colour. Rihanna cops a lot of hatred from the press, Taylor Swift does not. One has a sexual image and one doesn't - nothing to do with race either. So basically, being safe and portrayed as the girl next door means less hatred. Beyonce and Tina Turner are not controversial. This is not having a go at them, just stating the obvious. There is no need to bring race into the ageism debate and say that black women have it easier. It is down-playing the racism that goes on everywhere in the world.

:clap:

As always, jazzy perfectly and eloquently tells it like it is!!

And I'm sorry, but for the white folks down playing racism, I truly don't think that's something a white person could ever FULLY understand. To me it's like having someone that identifies as straight and homophobic trying to tell me I chose to be gay.....again, it's something only a gay person can fully understand.

That Coachella/Drake incident didnt help at all the sales of RH and the general image of M during this era. We all know thaters are now everywhere; they just want her to retire, that's why bad press is back on force and general people just start to be fed up of all these "scandalous episodes".

Last week, a national newspaper had a big headline in the front cover saying: "A disastrous year for Madonna"... That kind of negativity doesnt help and it's just free food for all those who think that she's trying too much to be cool and look young.

Her image management is more important now than ever at this time. That's why i really think that the Drake episode was really bad for her. She just needs to make an amazing performance on TV / Event (Live Earth?) so people can just forget that incident.

I really hope that the promo of RH will not end with the Coachella moment, it will be quite sad. But im pretty sure that the tour will be amazing, something à la RIT / Confessions is coming. smile_smile.gif

That Coachella/Drake incident didnt help at all the sales of RH and the general image of M during this era. We all know thaters are now everywhere; they just want her to retire, that's why bad press is back on force and general people just start to be fed up of all these "scandalous episodes".

Last week, a national newspaper had a big headline in the front cover saying: "A disastrous year for Madonna"... That kind of negativity doesnt help and it's just free food for all those who think that she's trying too much to be cool and look young.

Her image management is more important now than ever at this time. That's why i really think that the Drake episode was really bad for her. She just needs to make an amazing performance on TV / Event (Live Earth?) so people can just forget that incident.

I really hope that the promo of RH will not end with the Coachella moment, it will be quite sad. But im pretty sure that the tour will be amazing, something à la RIT / Confessions is coming. smile_smile.gif

yep. don't care what anyone says but RIT was really good for the general public/fans. add some artistry/intelligent topics (like the beats within intro, live to tell performance, some interesting themes )

Are you a new Madonna fan? You know, she's been called "old" and "irrelevant" for years, controversy is her middle name. Someone posted recently a magazine cover from the 90s where they called Madonna "grandma" and told her to retire. There's nothing new. With this "Drake incident", her image is the same as before : she's seen as a cougar who doesn't give a shit about what people think about her.

You know, she wouldn't kiss young men on stage and do "Bitch I'm Madonna" on Fallon and write songs about pussy juice and SEX if she was afraid about what people think about her. That's why we love her, and that's why she wrote a song called Unapologetic Bitch :queenbitch:

Are you a new Madonna fan? You know, she's been called "old" and "irrelevant" for years, controversy is her middle name. Someone posted recently a magazine cover from the 90s where they called Madonna "grandma" and told her to retire. There's nothing new. With this "Drake incident", her image is the same as before : she's seen as a cougar who doesn't give a shit about what people think about her.

Well, i consider myself a M fan since 2005, so yeah, i'm kinda of "new" :laugh: but i DO like her "fuck you" attitude (that's also why i'm a Fan!).

I know that's not the first time that she's been attacked by press and general public (i still remember the American Life video comments,....)

Well, i 'm sorry, but i still think that the Drake moment was a quite a mess (maybe 'cause i just dont like him...at all). Actually, and to be honest, the Coachella episode was more about Drakes stupid reaction than M kiss itself...

(Oh, and by the way, the BIM performance was just great).

Edited by ARCPort1

Was basing my assessment on what I've read and heard from US new outlets and social media. Agree M race does not play a major issue in the criticism she receives, but was just pointing out that her being called an "old rich white lady" by writers and normal folk continues to come up time and time again for whatever retarded racist reasons. That kind of rhetoric did not notice until the past couple of years, and it increased significantly after the adoption of Mercy, disn**ger Instagram post, and her posting all the black leaders and celebrities in wires. I just pointed what I read many times because it's pretty interesting how M receives a bipolar assortment of positive and negative criticisms over the years! It runs the gamut of praise and adoration to pissing off white conservative christians and african american feminists.

Never also meant to say all black women have it easier in general and minimize the racism in the world, but meant not all black women are automatically disadvantaged because of their race. I'm referring specifically to the US and not other countries. I have family both in London and Italy, and i would definitely not want to be black in Italy because racism is more disgusting and blatantly racist in some backward parts of the country. I'm assuming in London multiculturalism is less of a problem, but know racism still exists.

I don't even think that it was a matter of Ageism, I feel that DRAKEs look of repulsion was reaction to

being face fucked my her tongue and had not to do with her age.

However the press spun it into something else completely different than the actual intent.

DRAKE IS STILL TO BLAME. if he hadn't made that facial expression the train would not have gone off the tracks.

^ Watching it recently again for the first time after the stupid incident occurred, still don't think he meant to be an a**hole, but he obviously screwed up. Don't think Drake ever cared about their age difference. Most straight guys don't care about that tbh.

Hopefully, there has to be some more promo before the rigorous rehearsals begin. All the promo was so exciting until it stopped with Coachella.

• 3 months later...

I think it was a setup.

Either Drake is the most unprofessional performer on the planet (get over it, I've had much worse than lipstick and still managed to smile!) as anyone on stage knows that whatever happens (lipstick? Madonna got pulled off the stairs and kept going!) you keep going on as normal!

Or... Looking at his 8 seconds of going along with it... It was a setup.

• 2 weeks later...

During the kiss, Drake grabbed Mo's hair. That was a sign of affection and reciprocation; he was basically getting into it, and it gave the kiss a romantic feel. M pulling his hand from her hair (like his hand was dirty or something) may have come across as aggressive, like she was not so into him, but taking advantage of him or something. I don't know, but that might have been part of the reason why he's had that nasty (and embarrassing) reaction. I'd give anything to have Drake kiss me, and would not care if he grabbed my hair.

Guest ditaluver

Have I woke up in May again?

hey i thought it was a thread from 2006!!!

i completely forgot about this! i was about to post some pics and videos! :)

Daryl and I suspected that was a setup from the beginning; his behaviour was not only unprofessional, but suspicious to say the least, and this was clear from how he went along with it for a whole 8 secs, then waited another second or two, then pulled an exaggerated face once he was sure the audience could see...

As Daryl says in his column on The Inquisitor:

"Then, there was that performance with Drake at Coachella in April. Though its likely that Drake purposely used the event to age-shame Madonna and make himself look good, Madonna might just as well have worn a Kick Me! sign"

http://www.inquisitr.com/2334669/madonna-turns-57-and-the-media-wants-her-to-feel-ashamed/#O1SRIMipZ7e5zQR1.99

Daryl and I suspected that was a setup from the beginning; his behaviour was not only unprofessional, but suspicious to say the least, and this was clear from how he went along with it for a whole 8 secs, then waited another second or two, then pulled an exaggerated face once he was sure the audience could see...

As Daryl says in his column on The Inquisitor:

"Then, there was that performance with Drake at Coachella in April. Though its likely that Drake purposely used the event to age-shame Madonna and make himself look good, Madonna might just as well have worn a Kick Me! sign"

http://www.inquisitr.com/2334669/madonna-turns-57-and-the-media-wants-her-to-feel-ashamed/#O1SRIMipZ7e5zQR1.99

What a mess. :-/