Coachella thread [continued]

It could very well be that was not your intent, but now you know you cannot compare a black person to a monkey ever in any situation. It's one of those things

Yeah seriously, if you were from the southern US you would especially know to never ever make that comparison :lmao:

^^^^She needs to get over it all ready my god she is so weak and pathetic to keep banging on about it!! She doesn't deserve to be Madonna with that attitude ;)

she just posted that a queen always rises above. Doesn't fit your narrative does it?

Madonna: Hooray For Refusing To Turn Your Sexy Off At 56!

Madonna — you’re absolutely right to stay and act as hot to trot as ever in your 50s. Who says that when a woman hits fifty she should shut off her sex appeal? Kiss Drake, show off your thighs, and ignore your age!

Madonna, pay no attention to anyone who tells you to act your age! When they say that, what they’re really telling you is that you should stop being sexy because you’re 56. That’s ridiculous!

Madonna: Sexy At Coachella At 56 Years Old

You’re a beautiful, brilliant, talented woman who’s in amazing shape. You can still dance your a** off and in fact, you can still dance circles around women and men half your age.

So why should you cover up, shut up and stop acting up, just because of old ideas about what women should be like over 50?

When you surprised Drake onstage with a kiss during your performance together at Coachella on April 12, the internet was abuzz and some commenters were aghast. This was partly because Drake himself was so surprised by your bold move, and his shock was misread as horror.

But Drake, 28, himself has set the record straight and Instagrammed on April 13: “Don’t misinterpret my shock!! I got to make out with the queen Madonna and I feel about that forever. Thank you @madonna.”

I bet he does feel that way. Madonna is a groundbreaking legend and Drake gets that. She broke open so many doors for female and male popstars with her trendsetting, uninhibited style, behavior and hit records, that every musical star respects her and is in total awe of her.

Taylor Swift: Madonna’s #1 Fan

Just take it from Taylor Swift, who dueted with Madonna at the 2015 iHeart Radio Awards and who effusively Instagrammed, “I might be okay but I’m NOT FINE AT ALL. #MyFangirlLife #MadonnaAndTaylor,” after their performance together. Performing with Madonna was a dream come true for Taylor, just like kissing Madonna was for Drake, and getting to sit on the couch with Madonna at The Ellen Show was for Justin Bieber.

Madonna critics are most offended by her refusal to give up her sexy, racy behavior and outfits. They don’t get why she’s still wearing stockings that expose her thighs, and corsets that showcase her slim waist and shapely rear. They were horrified when she bared her butt, covered only by fishnet pantyhose, on the 2015 Grammy Awards red carpet.

Dissers don’t get that Madonna still feels like a rebel at heart. That’s why she named her new album, Rebel Heart. Just because she’s 56 doesn’t mean that she should stop pushing boundaries. Why should she?

Madonna works out hard to have those perfectly muscled legs and equally perfect behind — why should she cover them up, just because she’s a certain age according to a man made calendar?

Rita Ora Stands Up To Madonna’s Dissers On Instagram

Aren’t you so glad that Rita Ora took to her Instagram to support her heroine, Madonna?! The singer posted on April 13:

“Thank you for fighting all these ageist battles, and paving a way, that just maybe one day, all of us “Younger”Artists won’t have too in the future! @madonna #if*ckinlovethisbitch #thatswhatlegendsdo”

Rita is so right. The haters are ageist and they’re also sexist. Would they be telling off George Clooney or Brad Pitt for kissing younger women as part of their work? I don’t think so.

Women are held to another standard, and it needs to stop. Madonna has boldly called out her haters twice since critics blasted her for kissing Drake and just generally not acting her age: “If you don’t like me and still watch everything I do…bitch, you’re a fan,” she posted on April 13. Then, on April 14, she pointed out on Instagram: “When you are a threat, you are always a target.”

She gets that strong women are always a threat to those who believe in a traditional, conservative order. A strong, sexual woman who doesn’t “behave” is even more threatening to those who think mature women should cover up and stop acting up.

Well, hooray for Madonna for pushing those boundaries and refusing to be defined by 50!

Do you agree, HollywoodLifers? Is Madonna right to keep her sexy on at 56? Let me know.

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/04/14/madonna-sexy-coachella-hot-kissing-drake/

She instagrams again about the Queen always rising above and yet some say I am borderline frightening thinking maybe Madonna is a bit more upset this time. She is literally still on about it. The Mercy post. Now this latest IG post. Keep thinking she is teflon. Some kind of Armadillo that is impervious to pain. Keep thinking that big team "true" Madonna fans.

Little team. Lets go show some support to our girl on IG as we have been instructed by the powers that be. LOL.

She instagrams again about the Queen always rising above and yet some say I am borderline frightening thinking maybe Madonna is a bit more upset this time. She is literally still on about it. The Mercy post. Now this latest IG post. Keep thinking she is teflon. Some kind of Armadillo that is impervious to pain. Keep thinking that big team "true" Madonna fans.

Little team. Lets go show some support to our girl on IG as we have been instructed by the powers that be. LOL.

Of course, she's more upset. It wasn't just the age issue this time - that she can deal with. She's continuously addressing the issue but I don't think that what's really bothering her. I think what's hurt her most is the humiliation and embarrassment from the Drake's reaction. To any viewer, fan, hater or just an objective observer, it was clear that his facial expression was not of pleasure or excitement or even shock - it was of disgust. Doesn't matter what Drake actually felt or what he says or how he explains it, that is how the millions of people will interpret it cuz you see it with your own two eyes. If Drake had reacted more positively, I'm sure that the majority of the media and public would still be talking about it but Madonna would have relished the attention. I feel really bad for her cuz I'm sure she planned this whole thing but surely it didn't turn out the way she intended it too.

Of course, she's more upset. It wasn't just the age issue this time - that she can deal with. She's continuously addressing the issue but I don't think that what's really bothering her. I think what's hurt her most is the humiliation and embarrassment from the Drake's reaction. To any viewer, fan, hater or just an objective observer, it was clear that his facial expression was not of pleasure or excitement or even shock - it was of disgust. Doesn't matter what Drake actually felt or what he says or how he explains it, that is how the millions of people will interpret it cuz you see it with your own two eyes. If Drake had reacted more positively, I'm sure that the majority of the media and public would still be talking about it but Madonna would have relished the attention. I feel really bad for her cuz I'm sure she planned this whole thing but surely it didn't turn out the way she intended it too.

That's all I have been saying, girl. But as she just said in French, don't worry. The Queen rises above. So, She's had two days or so. She must stop reading whatever it is she has been reading that now makes her more aware of what these idiots are saying and we proceed. GT video is number one everywhere. Something to cheer.

The whole thing is very puzzling to me. From just a casual observer, it does look like Drake was disgusted and didn't enjoy it. But then we hear that they are dating. So if she's that disgusting, why would he be dating her? I really don't know what to think.

Great Article from The Daily Beast. Honestly I am thrilled she did the Cochella kiss, this is what Rebel Heart is all about. I don't remember so much conservation being driven about the ageism she faces, from the Radio 1 controversy, to the Grammys, to the Drake set. She's making people think and it's an awesome thing to witness

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/14/what-s-so-gross-about-madonna-getting-older-it-seems.html

What’s So Gross About Madonna? Getting Older, It Seems
Her on-stage, enforced kiss with Drake got her critics worked up again. But is Madonna’s behavior that outrageous, or is sexism at play?

Madonna is like glitter—she’s flashy, she gets everywhere, and you’ll never quite get rid of her. After a 30-year career, 80 singles, two marriages, and four children, she is refusing to vacate the spotlight as women of her age, 56, are expected to do.

But lately, she’s been paying the price for sticking around.

You can call Madonna “gross” and you can call her a “grandma” but she’s neither. If you really want to see something disgusting that belongs in the Stone Age, look no further than the ageist invective that is being hurled at the queen of pop.

In the span of a week, Madonna’s stand-up comedy set on The Tonight Show and her smooch ambush of the rapper Drake at Coachella have launched her into the viral stratosphere once again, and the backlash this time around has been brutal.

She’s “twice his age,” said The Daily Mail of her brief make-out session with Drake. That particular bit of arithmetic appears in almost every story about the stunt.

“50 Shades of Granny,” tweeted Piers Morgan, age 50. He tweeted at Drake, too, telling him that he “can’t think of anything worse” than getting kissed by Madonna. Maybe he never watched his own talk show.

On social media, Madonna was quickly painted as some sort of vampiric succubus who drains the life force out of younger stars. It’s the same metaphor that gets trotted out every time Madonna locks lips with a fellow celeb, whether it’s with Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera at the 2003 VMAS or with Nicki Minaj backstage on her birthday.

Her endearingly amateur stand-up routine on Fallon fared little better on the Internet with commenters quickly pouncing on her outfit, her age, and her blithe attitude toward dating younger men.

All of this anti-Madonna noise begs an important question. Who’s acting more like a senior citizen in this situation: the woman who can still pull off an extended dance routine without running out of breath, or the crotchety twentysomething who can barely eke out 140 characters of criticism while lying in bed?

The insistence that an aging Madge get out of our sight is due, in part, to a pop-culture cycle that can no longer seem to tolerate anyone beyond their 15 minutes of fame. From “Holiday” to that unforgettable moment when she handed her panties to David Letterman, Madonna enjoyed a whole decade in the public eye as America’s openly sexual pop princess. On one hand, it seems almost cosmically unfair for her to receive airtime alongside, and even instead of, the shorter-lived imitators she helped to spawn.

“The more people bemoan Madonna’s persistence, the more attention she receives, and the more power she accrues.”

But the bulk of the vitriol that Madonna faces is the product of a sexist double standard that comes down hard on middle-age women.

Men Madonna’s age are allowed to be sexy despite their wrinkles and graying hair. Sean Connery was 59 and bald when he won People’s Sexiest Man Alive in 1989. Richard Gere, Harrison Ford, and Nick Nolte all took home the same honor in their fifties.

Meanwhile, Esquire has never handed out Sexiest Woman Alive to anyone over the age of 42.

The only way that middle-aged women successfully maintain their sexy cachet past 45 is by obeying certain standards of behavior and decorum.

Dame Helen Mirren, 69, can raise her eyebrow at a younger man at the end of her new L’Oréal ad but if she ever dated someone as young as A-Rod, we would quit calling her “classy” in a heartbeat.

Famous men in Mirren’s age bracket tend to dip a few decades deep into the younger end of dating pool, but women have to choose between younger men and their reputation.

As Ellen Degeneres told Madonna during a recent interview, “Men date younger women all the time and no one says anything about it. What’s wrong with women dating younger men?”

But not only does Madonna date younger men, she publicly fantasizes about it in interviews. She wears thigh-high boots and wields her pelvis like a weapon.

And it’s precisely this brazen sexuality that opens her up to disgustingly specific bodily insults about her “saggy ass” and her “ancient,” cobweb-filled vagina. For women, the penalty for refusing to age according to societal expectations is that society ages you.

You’re allowed to be as young as you feel until you act like it. Age is just a number until that number is 50.

Madonna herself has recognized this ageist resistance to her brand in a recent interview.

“They’re judging me by my age,” she told Rolling Stone in February. “I don’t understand. I’m trying to get my head around it. Because women, generally, when they reach a certain age, have accepted that they’re not allowed to behave a certain way. But I don’t follow the rules. I never did, and I’m not going to start.”

For a pop star of her years, the difference between being seen as a cougar and being dismissed as desperate is displaying a libido instead of accepting a rapid rate of diminishing returns as a sexual object. It’s the fact that Madonna still wants to, let’s say, express herself in her fifties that makes it impossible for her to remain respectable.

But perhaps it’s the persistent image of Madonna as a succubus that reveals the true root of our reflexive disgust with her escapades. In hindsight, Medusa: Dare to Be Truthful, the 1991 parody of her famous tour documentary Madonna: Truth or Dare, has an almost prescient name.

Like Medusa, Madonna has come to symbolize our culture’s fear of active, all-consuming female sexuality.

Freud equated the classical fear of Medusa with the “terror of castration” at the sight of the “terrifying genitals of the Mother,” and it’s hard not to see a similar dynamic at work in our thinly veiled fear of Madonna as an unapologetically sexual, 56-year-old mother of four.

In fact, the Madonna-Medusa connection is already being made on Twitter with a frequency that suggests that she might be more subconsciously threatening to some than she is just plain “gross.”

Unlike Medusa, however, it seems impossible to ever defeat Madonna. The more people bemoan her persistence, the more attention she receives, and the more power she accrues. She’s an icon who can subsist forever on the fuel of her own inevitability.

As she wrote on Instagram following the Drake kiss: “If you don’t like me and still watch everything I do. Bitch, you’re a fan.”

So maybe it’s time to give up on telling Madonna to go away and ask ourselves where, exactly, we want her to go and why. Do we really only have the time of day for pop stars in the prime of life, or can we make some room for the sometimes embarrassing, often lascivious, and always interesting queen of reinvention herself?

i think something happened and he isn't disgusted. maybe she bit him i don't know but i hate his reaction. and obviously she's humiliated by it. you can see it from her instagram. just cheer her up because she's obviously reading the comments. lol. i know that sounds silly but looks like she loves our support because she updates instagram a lot. I've also heard they're dating, or used to. and that would soften the awkwardness about it, if them dating makes the news. some may say damage control but at the same time, if they're seen out and actually are still dating people will see it for themselves and believe it. (then again i would think papi would support her more on instagram and really stick up for her. isn't that what couples do?) unless they want to keep it private. and if it wasn't for that guy from the andy cohen show we wouldn't even know so..

It just seems like there has to be something more to it. Maybe they were dating and they broke up or he didn't want people to know about their relationship. His reaction was very odd, more than you would think from her lipstick or even her biting him.

BY MATT JACOBI / HE SAID/SHE SAID / APRIL 4, 2015

Seeing Ageism and Sexism Through the Prism of … Madonna

Madonna Matt Jacobi

Love her or hate her, you have to agree that Madonna works really hard, is a savvy businesswoman and very good at making a public statement. Let’s put her talent of performing and creating a dazzling show aside for a moment and break down how the Material Girl has kept her name a buzz throughout pop culture history for the past 30 years, and why you should take a moment to think about it.

Through decades of publicity stunts, magazine covers and now online chatter, Madonna continues to create a sense of controversy, but also what I believe to be an important discussion for our society, especially for women.

[Read: What is a “Feminist?” A Man’s Definition]

With her recently released new album, Rebel Heart, Madge is still holding the throne of being the queen at making waves in the press and causing people to roll their eyes (I’ll get to that in a minute). Whether she is flashing her bum on the red carpet, posing topless or falling backwards at The Brit Awards, Madonna’s actions continue to be in the headlines. If you sit back and look at the bigger picture though, there is always a message behind what she does and says, including her oh-so famous provocative ways.

Yes, her goal is to sell music (that is a given), but she is also driven to make a statement of some kind to stir up conversation and make people think. Such statements at times, like kissing Britney Spears on stage or releasing her Sex book, may seem unnecessary to some people at first, but in the end, Madonna is doing these things to open up the minds of the current time.

[Read: Women in the Workplace: Why Silence is NOT a Superpower]

Today, seeing two women kiss on television is not that big of deal and being naked or showing skin in the media is practically everywhere. I’m not giving Madonna all the credit in completely revolutionizing the freedom of self-expression, but she certainly has played a big part with just using her own music platform. I believe that is her main focus, and it is something courageous for a person to do. Madonna is always on a mission to revolutionize the way people think. She encourages rebelling against what is considered to be “wrong.” She may come off as the loudest, raunchiest and most daring at times, but if you zero in on what she is trying to communicate, then her actions should take less of the spotlight and her message should take the center stage.

What has my mind ticking is the opinionated backlash she (still) gets, especially on social media, for being “too old” to be doing what she does. Not one to keep quiet, Madonna has gone on the defense in recent interviews expressing that she is a victim of ageism and sexism. So, I have to ask, are Madonna’s current provocative ways “not appropriate” for the masses just because she is fifty-six years old? Is it ageism at its best?

[Read: What Does It Mean to Be ‘A Man’ Today?]

I think, yes! When Britney, Beyoncé and Gaga are up on stage gyrating, nobody makes a big stink about it, so why is society so hung up on bashing Madonna? Why is there an expiration date for women and their expression of sexuality?

Madonna is also a mother, in impeccable shape, employs many people and has achieved success on many different levels. You would think her drive, talent and healthy physique would be an inspiration. Sure, she can upset people and goes to the extreme in many cases to make a point, but her motive is to get people to create conversation. That is a success all on its own. The more interaction she creates and the more thought provoking she is, the more awareness is in the air. That awakens our minds.

[Read: Why You Need to Find Your Voice]

Madonna has also been a strong supporter for human rights, equality and numerous charities for decades. That is inspiring to me and those are qualities of somebody with compassion and wanting to make a change.

So, here we are in 2015 and Madonna is still being hated on. It does not make a whole lot of sense to me. She has paved the way for so many young artists and contributed to shifting and bending the norms of society. If the way she went about it was too much for some people, I can understand that, but perhaps the focus should be directed towards her positive intentions and forward thinking.

[Read Maria Shriver’s latest essay]

I don’t want to convince people to be Madonna fans because that is not what is important. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion (especially with music). But I do think all the negative words being said about her are overly harsh, and there is a disconnect between how she is viewed and the points she has made.

Society can be so strict about women wanting to express themselves, whether it is through artistic expression, fashion or music. The judgment meter has always been sky-high when it comes to women being bold in history. So I have to again ask. What type of message do you want to give your daughters: to stay quiet, not express what they think, not stand up for themselves and that when a woman reaches a certain age, she must dial down her creative thoughts? That just sounds so backwards to me.

http://mariashriver.com/blog/2015/04/madonna-ageist-sexist-women-matt-jacobi/

I agree with Arnian, I'm glad about the conversation being generated in the media by all these events this era.

This particular event reminded me of an MTV award show I saw on YouTube a while ago. It was from sometime in the 90s, and M was introducing or giving an award or something to George Clooney. When he came on stage she went to hug or kiss him and he blatantly moved away to avoid her. She looked a bit embarrassed and later in the show said something like 'I guess that's the closest I'll get to kissing George Clooney'. I don't know if that was a scandal at that time. I couldn't find anything else she said about it. I found a quote from him, he was asked about it somewhere, and he said something to the effect he had a cold, which seemed lame, just like Drake's lame statements. Anyway, the point I wanted to make is, sometimes these things happen, to all of us, and even to M previously (though I realize this time was even more so). Rather than dwell on them it might be better to just put them behind, both for M and for fans, instead of making them bigger than they are in the big picture. Let the conversation on the larger issues continue, but not dwell too much on this specific event.

I agree with Arnian, I'm glad about the conversation being generated in the media by all these events this era.

This particular event reminded me of an MTV award show I saw on YouTube a while ago. It was from sometime in the 90s, and M was introducing or giving an award or something to George Clooney. When he came on stage she went to hug or kiss him and he blatantly moved away to avoid her. She looked a bit embarrassed and later in the show said something like 'I guess that's the closest I'll get to kissing George Clooney'. I don't know if that was a scandal at that time. I couldn't find anything else she said about it. I found a quote from him, he was asked about it somewhere, and he said something to the effect he had a cold, which seemed lame, just like Drake's lame statements. Anyway, the point I wanted to make is, sometimes these things happen, to all of us, and even to M previously (though I realize this time was even more so). Rather than dwell on them it might be better to just put them behind, both for M and for fans, instead of making them bigger than they are in the big picture. Let the conversation on the larger issues continue, but not dwell too much on this specific event.

Great post! I agree. But I guess the difference between now and then is we have social media which blows the tiniest thing up into this major controversy or drama. Plus, there are all those trashy reality shows which puts the focus more on feuds and bitching between people. It's funny because I follow Madonna very closely, and I don't even remember the George Clooney thing

The whole thing is very puzzling to me. From just a casual observer, it does look like Drake was disgusted and didn't enjoy it. But then we hear that they are dating. So if she's that disgusting, why would he be dating her? I really don't know what to think.

Many reasons, if he's gay it could be one. And because...she's MADONNA.

Madonna seems to be dwelling on this stuff as well though, her own fans keep telling her that she's the motherfuckingQUEEN and seriously needs to stop paying attention to the haters as they feed off this shit. She gets a lot of comments like this:

When is Madonna going to be done with her hurt ego rampage. Madonna stop reading the comments and the negative shit. Your were good at doing that

It's weird knowing that she actually reads this stuff and lets it get to her. Social media really is the worst sometimes..

Madonna seems to be dwelling on this stuff as well though, her own fans keep telling her that she's the motherfuckingQUEEN and seriously needs to stop paying attention to the haters as they feed off this shit. She gets a lot of comments like this:

It's weird knowing that she actually reads this stuff and lets it get to her. Social media really is the worst sometimes..

It's not just social media though. The mainstream press is talking about it and her in a negative way. Of course it will get to her. Why are people surprised? She said herself on J Ross that she's not an armadillo. Read the lyrics to "Joan of Arc". etc. etc.

Madonna at 56 is not the Madonna of 34 who did Erotica and SEX. Age, maturity and motherhood have softened her. Is that such a bad thing? Why are some fans so quick to judge her and other fans who emphasise with her for it?

Great post! I agree. But I guess the difference between now and then is we have social media which blows the tiniest thing up into this major controversy or drama. Plus, there are all those trashy reality shows which puts the focus more on feuds and bitching between people. It's funny because I follow Madonna very closely, and I don't even remember the George Clooney thing

Yup, I remember the George Clooney incident well. But as you said, the big difference is social media. Celebrities, criminals, law enforcement, in fact everyone, should be more aware that there's always a phone camera/video recording our actions or words at any given time. Once it's caught on film, it doesn't really matter anymore what the circumstances were, what your intentions were, people are going to judge you based on what they see & hear. Sometimes it can work in your favor, sometimes not.

I tried to find the video but couldn't, maybe it was taken down. I agree about social media blowing everything way out of proportion. It's a bane as much as a boon. I hope she does a commentary about its effects during the tour, set to JOA.

Madonna knows what she is doing and what kind of conversation she's trying to promote and she obviously knows how to make people think.

There's nothing more heated in this controversy than plenty of others she's had in the past. I'm sure she's perfectly fine.

There's no reason to be all mellow dramatic thinking she's gojng to need therapy :lmao:

She's fucking Madonna, she knows what she's doing

Plus, the fall was much worse than this and I'm sure more embarrassing for her.