What's your favorite video directed by Jonas Åkerlund?

Flip The Switch

Favorite video directed by Jonas Åkerlund  

139 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite video?

• Ray of Light
    • Music
    • American Life (flag video doesn't count)
    • Jump
    • Celebration
    • Ghosttown

Ray of Light.

It is absolutely epochal in its simplicity. And it serves the purpose of representing the message of the song and grabbing your attention. For example, if you are walking past a TV it is undoubtedly something different and unexpected. I recall they used special cameras to film the time-lapses. You want a ray of light? You got it!

Ray of Light.

It is absolutely epochal in its simplicity. And it serves the purpose of representing the message of the song and grabbing your attention. For example, if you are walking past a TV it is undoubtedly something different and unexpected. I recall they used special cameras to film the time-lapses. You want a ray of light? You got it!

Perfect. :)

ROL for me. It perfectly captures the spirit of the song and was considered groundbreaking at the time. Plus it's become one of her most iconic videos and looks.

Music, AL, and GT are all basically tied for second. I honestly couldn't say which I like the most. They're all excellent videos and each has it's own unique atmosphere and mood.

Celebration's budget is felt in the lack of actual sets. But the texture of the images feels pretty sharp and looks nice to me. The visuals fit the Benassi mix really well. It's not one of M's best but for a cheapie clip I think it's pretty good.

Jump is pretty awful, definitely their worst collaboration imo. It doesn't suit the song and the low budget is painfully obvious. Both M and Jonas phoned it in.

For all you ROL's, surely you know that the entire video was copied from an italian artist, so, no, I don't think Jonas brought anything to that video:

I actually think Jonas still brings very little. I'm sure that Madonna turns up with some pretty good ideas most of the time, and employs some really good designers, etc. But when she just turns up and let's Jonas be in charge, we get Celebration. As amazing as Ghosttown is, I think it owes much of its greatness to the story, the set design and costumes, make up and hair, ... tbh, some of the editing and angles in the dance sequence could have been better.

Guest ziggy

Close call between Ghosttown and ROL. I chose the latter since it's a classic and the song is one of her all time greats. AL is not even in consideration: visually arresting though it is, the song ruins it all.

Guest Rachelle of London

A tad off topic but the little boy that's in the American Life original video the one that walks down the catwalk with the bombs strapped to him is now serving in the U.S. Navy

Is AL purchasable? I don't think it was on Celery. Is it on iTunes or anything? I think I might buy it to watch it again.. obviously it's on yt, but I want a quality version. I want to see how good it is again.. I thought it was good and all but I wasn't blown away (no pun intended), I much prefer DAD for a similar video.

Guest Rocco Papa

American Life (original video, director's cut)

AL and Music

everything else looks so low budget

Your sig scared the shit out of me btw :lmao:

I would vote Music but the Oompa Loompa look puts me off. So I voted Ray of Light

She's just as spray tanned in that too! :rotfl:

I love when Madonna is a tanned Italian GODDESS.

Madonna-Swept-Away-Screenshots-madonna-1