MadonnaNation.com Forums
Mensch

Christine & The Queens

I did not think it would be possible, but her new album is even better than the first.

3 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

I did not think it would be possible, but her new album is even better than the first.

I agree

There  is not one bad Song ! The only song that I find OK is 5 Dollars. The rest is delicious.

6 hours ago, Mensch said:

It’s amazing! 

Damn (what must a woman do!) is very reminiscent of Madonna, what’s her face reminds me of in this life...most of it has a very early 90’s Prince/Michael...even Sheila E type beats and production style. 

Its a great album!!! Can’t wait to listen on repeat for the next year!!!! 

Whats her face really reminds me of Madonna, too

the way she describes something awful in the most beautiful way.

All Reviews I read like NME, Rolling Stone are raving!

One of the best and interesting album of a female Artist in the last years.

French star Hélöise Letissier, aka Christine, has adopted a new persona for brilliant new album Chris. 

The star, who jumped on stage with Madonna during her Rebel Heart tour, cut her hair just like her heroine. 

She said: “I wanted an album more sexual and about desire. “Madonna’s presence in the 90s was quite macho but still feminine, she superimposed contradictory things – that was very inspiring.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/goss/730660/wired-madonna-inspires-christine-and-the-queens-new-album-music

I’m thrilled that people are loving it as much! Funnily enough, the hardest thing to get through when you first listen to her is her seemingly horrific nonsensical French to english “poetic” translations. 

However, the more I’ve listened to her first ep, debut record, read through translations of her French versions to see the compatible lyrics, now with this new record...I finally get her little meanings behind lyrics like 

“I am out for a walk and I won’t be back till their staining my skin...”

Just as a small example. Her lyrical translations clearly stem from literary poetics but also from her perspective in French and trying to convey in English and how those things (the words we use and how we use them from language to language) can clash and not make sense. 

With this album, I think she’s pushing that even further from the first record and being even bolder. She’s settled into a new “skin” and she’s tempting the listener, provoking us even, whereas her first record she was making a pure statement on her understanding of herself and her position in life as a queer person. Now, she’s actively searching for sensuality and invoking her inner sexual urges without shame (according to her, because she got some fame and attention, dated and found herself getting more comfortable in her skin) 

So, basically what I'm saying it's been a journey, a little exploration into her kookiness and her introspective slow-burn styled videos, her funky dance performance styles and her beautiful smooth melodies/vocals/productions and now that I feel more in tune with her and her message, it's so gratifying. What my friends would say after they randomly caught her at Governers Ball (specifically cause she was on early and told them they HAD to see her) was how funny she was and how sad and serious she seemed in most of her videos. I think that was a little peak into her goofy personality and breaking that strange wall of this french girl who we don't understand...

my most memorable moment seeing her live was when she mentioned ru paul was her biggest inspiration and made everyone chant "if you cant love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love somebody else can i get an amen?" and everyone did it.

Personally, I only listen to French versions of her albums because as a francophone I find that her songs lose some magic in the translation.

One of the things I love the most about her is the flexibility with which she uses her voice. On the new album, she sometimes sounds like Nelly Furtado, others like Celine during the D'eux-era, Mylene Farmer, Michael Jackson. It is never imitation but a tribute through her own voice.

I'm living for the production throughout. I wonder how long her set will be on tour cause I think now she's got plenty to work on if she's going to incorporate songs from her first record and mostly new songs.

I love LE G, it starts like a typical Christine song and the Janet effects kick in, wonderful combination!

Finally someone who really is inspired and respectful. She takes the inspiration and applies it to the work, unlike other girls who sometimes wear something sexy and think that represents M the artist.

it will not happen (because Madonna totally lacks audacity in her choice of collaborators for  the last 10 years), but I would really like Madonna to work with her. It's the kind of talented and intelligent artists I would like to see her work with.

24 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

it will not happen (because Madonna totally lacks audacity in her choice of collaborators for  the last 10 years), but I would really like Madonna to work with her. It's the kind of talented and intelligent artists I would like to see her work with.

I honestly don’t think Christine would want to work with M. I feel like she’s charging through in her own work and it would get in the way of that. 

Can't get enough of the album. What's-her-face is my favorite! What a nice Song.

13 hours ago, Mensch said:

I honestly don’t think Christine would want to work with M. I feel like she’s charging through in her own work and it would get in the way of that. 

She had offered a song to Rihanna (who refused it). She is still open to working with others.

on YT for 24 hours only...

1 hour ago, david86 said:

on YT for 24 hours only...

Wow amazing!!!!!! 

What a great show this is!

All she needs is her new material, and she's more confindent and stronger than ever! 

I suppose lots of this will be on her tour! Can't wait!!

She is just amazing. Simply amazing.

3 hours ago, david86 said:

What a great show this is!

All she needs is her new material, and she's more confindent and stronger than ever! 

I suppose lots of this will be on her tour! Can't wait!!

Same!  I’m contemplating skipping Madonnathon to see her both days in nyc 

OMG! I really liked "Tilted" but her new album and its overall androgynous funky package are amazing!

If Madonna does another stadium tour Christine & The Queens would be the perfect opening act. 

2 hours ago, Suedey said:

If Madonna does another stadium tour Christine & The Queens would be the perfect opening act. 

I would die!!!!!! She wants that big stage setup. She’s being very ambitious with her staging for this tour!!! Madonna already knows her! It’d be the best idea for both of them! I love when she had Robyn but it was only for European dates which bummed me out! 

And the vinyl has just been ordered. Thank you guys for the great suggestion. 

Still haven’t checked out her first album but I was on Amazon by the time I was listening to track two from the second album. 

9 hours ago, Mensch said:

I love when she had Robyn but it was only for European dates which bummed me out! 

And that’s how I discovered Robyn when she was the opening act in Frankfurt in 2008. 

9 hours ago, Cyber-Raga said:

And that’s how I discovered Robyn when she was the opening act in Frankfurt in 2008. 

Discovered!! Omg she came out in 97!!!

9 minutes ago, Mensch said:

Discovered!! Omg she came out in 97!!!

Well what can i say? She flew right under my radar. 

51 minutes ago, Cyber-Raga said:

Well what can i say? She flew right under my radar. 

Well she’s amazing! 

Is the second album really that good? Debut had some great tracks (I only listened to en version).