Tour rumours/preparations

Nikki

There is no way she is singing :

Dress You Up

Love Don't Live Here Anymore

Who's That Girl

True Blue

Deeper & Deeper

etc. They are all minor hits, not big ones which she needs to go alongside the new RH songs.

Settle....! :p Dress You Up, WTG and TB are all classics (WTG and TB both went to #1 in the UK...hardly "minor" hits...). D & D is a real fan favourite. LDLHA....it would be odd if she included that, but she posted lyrics to HeartbreakCity right after this, so she might be looking at a mash up there.

As others have said, songs like Vogue and LAP should be performed every time she tours. I think if she played those two, as well as Music, Hung Up, Ray of Light, Holiday and Into The Groove, then she could "get away" with playing other big hits like DYU, WTG and D & D, thus keeping the general public happy (although people will still complain that she didn't play LAV or MG or PDP or EY etc. etc.) and the diehards who want to hear tracks she hasn't played for a long time. Add maybe 4 other classics (bringing the total of older songs to 14), seven RH tracks and bingo! You have a set list that has something for everyone and not too much of anything to make people complain :) As for the other 4 classics, a couple of the ones mentioned above (e.g. EY and MG) and other well known tracks like Beautiful Stranger and Don't Tell Me would work and would fit in with her recent practice of not including much (or anything) from the most recently toured album (or albums).

Have a different view from most. Been to so many concerts ( other artists ) and the biggest hits of their careers are the ones that set the place alight and create an incredible atmosphere. So I personally think that Vogue, Like a Prayer, Express Yourself, Holiday, Into the Groove, Music and Hung Up should always be played. They are the songs that everyone knows and I mean everyone. Regardless if diehard fans like it or not, casual fans help make the atmosphere. They pay big money to see a legend and want to hear these songs. After those big hits, then Madonna can pick whatever she wants and everyone should be happy. To be perfectly honest, I don't think I have ever heard fans of other artists complain about hearing massive hits on tours regardless if they are played on other tours. Not sure why Madonna fans do it.

Quite true. Plus, those you listed like Vogue, Holiday, Music, etc. lend themselves to new orchestrations pretty damn well (as she has shown us time and time again...and they often become a highlight)...

Sorry, but I think she has played Vogue/ROL/LAV/LAP/EY enough times. If she is going to add hits to the setlist, they'd better are those that fans want her to sing for years and years, like Take a Bow, Bad Girl or True Blue or Rescue Me.

I disagree. Let's have a look at where she's touring this time around. It's pretty much a given that she's going to spend all of February in Asia, and she's coming to Australia for the first time in 22 years and New Zealand for the first time ever. Japan is the only country in SE Asia that she's visited during her career. Given this, it could very easily be argued that those fans want to her to sing the hits that they haven't heard. Who wants to argue that one group of fans (i.e. those who have been to every tour since DWT and want to hear songs that she hasn't played since the 80s or 1990) is more important than the other (i.e. those who haven't seen her play anything live ever, or at least only 4/5 songs that were recorded before 1990)?

Have a different view from most. Been to so many concerts ( other artists ) and the biggest hits of their careers are the ones that set the place alight and create an incredible atmosphere. So I personally think that Vogue, Like a Prayer, Express Yourself, Holiday, Into the Groove, Music and Hung Up should always be played. They are the songs that everyone knows and I mean everyone. Regardless if diehard fans like it or not, casual fans help make the atmosphere. They pay big money to see a legend and want to hear these songs. After those big hits, then Madonna can pick whatever she wants and everyone should be happy. To be perfectly honest, I don't think I have ever heard fans of other artists complain about hearing massive hits on tours regardless if they are played on other tours. Not sure why Madonna fans do it.

Those are definitely big tracks and I think she should play some of them BUT I'd also like to hear some other big tracks. WTG was huge back in the day and Holiday she hasn't played forever. Causing a Commotion was also just as big I believe (#2 same as EY). Borderline and CFY have been longtime fan favourites she hasn't played a lot. I would be happy for her to retire Vogue or LAP for one of those tracks!

Well said, jazzyjan! Our lists of "must haves" are almost identical :thumbsup:

Don't write LDLHA off! Just listen to her voice, her emotion. The lyrics, the build up at 1:37!! It's got a great RnB vibe that sounds awesome when you listen to it with RH. Seriously it could be this tours LAV/LS moment. The original LAV version I think is better than the video version. Seriously I never really paid it much attention until RH!

Madonna has so many hits that I don't think there's any particular song that should be required to be played on every tour. But she should always do hits from all periods of her career, 80's, 90's and 00's.

People say because her tickets are so expensive she should play lots of biggest hits for the casual fans. But I can see things the other way. Because her tickets are so expensive, she tends to draw a lot of hard core fans who live for the slightly more obscure tracks and get bored with the obvious hits. So it's good to make them happy with a few slightly less performed older songs.

A few of the obscure hits, yes, but let's look at it another way. She's coming to Australia, where her latest album has sold around 10 000 copies all up. She has six concerts scheduled (at this stage) and if they all sell out (and no extra shows are added), she'll play to around 90 000 people in Australia. That means that every time she plays something from RH, 80 000 people will be wondering when she's going to play something they know. She'll definitely play at least 7 tracks from RH, so she's going to need to balance this out with some massive hits (as well as other well known songs from her catalogue that will keep the hard core fans happy). I guess you have to live in a country that she hasn't toured in for over two decades (or ever) to really understand and appreciate this.

The tour isn't just in Australia. I don't see why one country gets to determine the setlist. And isn't the some time between when the tour ends in Europe to when she goes to Australia. She could possibly switch out one or two songs and replace them with bigger hits for Australia.

I was talking to a friend who was considering tickets. Not a major fan but appreciates the classics. She was aware that the show wouldn't be a "greatest hits" tour. She was questioning the price so it's likely she skips it, but I think the general (aus) population are aware this isn't going to be Blonde Ambition 2016. (On a side note isnt it funny how people in '93 bitched about how she didnt sing the hits but are like I wish she sings erotica tracks this time. Whatever.

The tour isn't just in Australia. I don't see why one country gets to determine the setlist. And isn't the some time between when the tour ends in Europe to when she goes to Australia. She could possibly switch out one or two songs and replace them with bigger hits for Australia.

Shush. Yes it is. Australia all the way or GTFO.

A few of the obscure hits, yes, but let's look at it another way. She's coming to Australia, where her latest album has sold around 10 000 copies all up. She has six concerts scheduled (at this stage) and if they all sell out (and no extra shows are added), she'll play to around 90 000 people in Australia. That means that every time she plays something from RH, 80 000 people will be wondering when she's going to play something they know. She'll definitely play at least 7 tracks from RH, so she's going to need to balance this out with some massive hits (as well as other well known songs from her catalogue that will keep the hard core fans happy). I guess you have to live in a country that she hasn't toured in for over two decades (or ever) to really understand and appreciate this.

Nothing personal, but she owes Australia jack shit. In some countries Sticky & Sweet was the 1st ever Madonna show...

& It was what it was...That's Madonna.

I know that, but the tour isn't just in Europe and the US, either - she's spending two months in countries that she hasn't visited ever or for a very long time.

As I said earlier, neither category of concert goers can claim to be more important than the other. The northern hemisphere fans have seen all the big hits multiple times, so many of them want to see something different. The Asia-Pacific fans haven't seen the big hits, so they want to see them live. Who should Madonna keep happy? The answer is both groups, which is why a balance of major hits, more obscure hits and RH material (as I suggested above) is the best way to go, because everyone gets something that they want. A fan who has been to every tour since 1985 is going to be far less disappointed to have to "endure" LAP again than a hardcore fan who has never seen her live will be if she doesn't play it. It's difficult to argue against that logic.

A fair balance all the way! :thumbsup:

Some type of do wop 1950's vintage car segment is coming!! True Blue, Body Shop and Jimmy Jimmy (she teased that but deleted it).

Guest Rachelle of London

Some type of do wop 1950's vintage car segment is coming!! True Blue, Body Shop and Jimmy Jimmy (she teased that but deleted it).

I wonder if this was what they were going to do in Girlie Show, the original setlist included True Blue didnt it. It's getting exciting.

Nothing personal, but she owes Australia jack shit. In some countries Sticky & Sweet was the 1st ever Madonna show...

She owes Australia nothing, I agree. However, she owes the northern hemisphere nothing, either.

Sticky and Sweet had a fantastic set list - perfect balance of hits and new material, especially S&S 2.0 - Holiday, Frozen, Hung Up, Vogue, Like A Prayer, Music, Ray of Light, La Isla Bonita, Into The Groove, Borderline and Dress You Up, plus 4 Minutes, which was a smash hit worldwide.

She owes Australia nothing, I agree. However, she owes the northern hemisphere nothing, either.

Sticky and Sweet had a fantastic set list - perfect balance of hits and new material, especially S&S 2.0 - Holiday, Frozen, Hung Up, Vogue, Like A Prayer, Music, Ray of Light, La Isla Bonita, Into The Groove, Borderline and Dress You Up, plus 4 Minutes, which was a smash hit worldwide.But then she shoudln't worry, 'cuz I have a gut feeling that's alway

Than u shouldn't worry, cuz I think that sorta is her 'balance' in the setlist...but the general public doesn't seem 2 b satisfied with that.

Acko, come to Australia and see Madonna in Melbourne ! We will all look after you.

Than u shouldn't worry, cuz I think that sorta is her 'balance' in the setlist...but the general public doesn't seem 2 b satisfied with that.

I'm not too worried - I'm just butting heads with people who want her to scrap the massive hits in favour of less well-known ones :)

I'll love whatever she does, but Australian audiences are really demanding and the media will rip her to shreds if they perceive that she hasn't played enough classics (but again, that won't affect my enjoyment of the show). I saw Cyndi Lauper last year during her "She's So Unusual" 30th Anniversary tour and had to endure a woman next to me screaming "Play Troo Calahs!!! at the end of every song! After a show full of "She's So Unusual" and a few other big hits from her career, this woman (and others) complained that she played too many album tracks (that was kind of the point of the tour...!). Oh well.

I bloody love I'm Going Bananas

HAHAHAHA. Are you serious? it worked ok in the show but it's not like I'm digging around my old Cds to give it a crack. I'm glad someone appreciates it though! :D

I'm not too worried - I'm just butting heads with people who want her to scrap the massive hits in favour of less well-known ones :)

I'll love whatever she does, but Australian audiences are really demanding and the media will rip her to shreds if they perceive that she hasn't played enough classics (but again, that won't affect my enjoyment of the show). I saw Cyndi Lauper last year during her "She's So Unusual" 30th Anniversary tour and had to endure a woman next to me screaming "Play Troo Calahs!!! at the end of every song! After a show full of "She's So Unusual" and a few other big hits from her career, this woman (and others) complained that she played too many album tracks (that was kind of the point of the tour...!). Oh well.

I mentioned it already, but I noticed a lot of the Aus articles about her tour annoucement made a point that she is known for not playing traditional "greatest hits" tours! I have a feeling that (most?) people are aware.

I mentioned it already, but I noticed a lot of the Aus articles about her tour annoucement made a point that she is known for not playing traditional "greatest hits" tours! I have a feeling that (most?) people are aware.

:thumbsup:

If we know she's playing mostly RH in advance, everyone who bought tickets will have to go buy the album. Smart.

I agree that every other act always has a couple of hits they play at every tour, in exactly the same way and everyone goes crazy. But madonna is not every other act and frankly has too many hits. She also doesn't really do shows to show us her songs but designs a complete experience where the songs are only part of it.

Quite sincerely, if she does rescue me and NRM I would be happy regardless of whatever else she sings. I would even be happy with hey you.

Jimmy Jimmy will be our Im Going Bananas. Not that I'm complaining bout time she schools the new kids on the classic. Oop Shoo Boop Oop Oop Sha la la la. I really love you Jimmy.

Was that really on her instagram and deleted or was it a fake fan thing of someone playing with us?

With other artists, they may only have a couple of hits that people associate with them. But Madonna has so many that there's not one song that's an absolute must! I'm not saying she should do a bunch of album tracks, but she can vary the hits she does play and not always repeat the same ones.