Ghosttown to be a sleeper hit? Discuss

I don't know if it will be a "hit" but it's definitely the most known Madonna single in years, have heard it again several times in the UK on various tv shows and radio stations. If there was any decent tv shows in the UK she should capitalise on that but there isn't loool

I agree. And it's great! Her best run of singles since the COAD era.

I still haven't found a single person that doesn't love this.

Yet, radios are refusing to touch it. The only coutry that is embracing the song is Italy. Since she performed it there, the song NEVER left the top 20 on itunes...that was over a month ago. Because of that the album is still top 10 there as well.

A shame really.

Although i was surprised to see how much people loved Bitch I'm Madonna and how much both the song and the album climbed in the USA. I mean...Rebel Heart climbed to #19 on itunes before falling all the way down outside the top 100.

For me both LFL and GT are successes because i love them so much, after some "dry" years, but some part of me is sad that LFL and GT haven't been a decent hit. There's one thing to be played to death and public being uninterested, and another not being played AT ALL!

GT is such a huge hit, but she needs promotion....a lot of that... on radio and television!

in my opinion they can start a "Robbie Williams -Strategy"...buy 100k Singles and push it on the top...the radio will play this song..and we can earn some new buyers for the Single AND THE ALBUM.

I CANT accept that the brilliant Rebel Heart will sold 1mio albums and the good, but trashy MDNA 2mio.....

for that to happen you need to push a song to radio though. that's why a lot of good songs by less mainstream artists don't get played. i guess it's her label (or the lack of one) thats ruining a lot. thats also why a lot of shit music gets played, and charts.. because somehow they find an audience no matter how shit it is. i visited my 11yr old brother this weekend and he hummed the chorus of ghost town (and no i didn't force him to listen lol. he just heard it maybe once or twice while i was listening) - yet when i request it on radio they say they "maybe" wanna play it in the weekend (translation: they won't unless no one is listening/in the evenings) - take that "love me like you do" song. shittiest song released in ages and see how it's doing.. they play it all the time because of the movie & because it's ellie.

even if she released uptown funk it would flop.

they play it because it's Ellie, but it's also really good.

I'm not saying Ghosttown isn't good - it's perfect! But it also needs some really smart marketing strategy from her label and management. I mean, the single will be released on Monday and yet the mv was released last week. That's 1 week and a half. :newspaper:

Warner was incredibly good at this... I don't fully understand why she left Warner. At least they were interested in promoting her properly. Miles Away was her last big hit and that's 7 years ago... and I'm annoyed because Rebel Heart and its singles deserve more recognition and success.

Ghosttown is great. So was Living for Love. Her music is really quite excellent at the moment. :Disco_Ball:

She clearly still outsells most artists. YES. I SAID IT. Madonna still outsells most artists. Rebel Heart, MDNA, and Hard Candy all outsold MOST artists. Every Madonna record since 1983 has outsold most artists. Interest in Madonna is not the problem. Sales have not been her problem either. Lots of music is played that has far undersold M-s records. Is the industry ageist? Hell yes. Sexist? Hell yes. Still, Madonna is putting the industry to shame by achieving mammoth success despite being ignored by radio. Her fans are all over the world. Meghan Trainor, Iggy Azalea, and Ariana Grande are being played on infinite repeat but none of them will ever be Madonna.

M has had her love affair with the radio. In my opinion, her music is much better now. I'm a Sinner is a far more sophisticated song than Lucky Star or Material Girl. M made a choice with Justify My Love to be a rebel. She chose to actually say something socially meaningful. M made a choice with the Erotica album to be an artist and not a caged, pop princess. M made a choice during American Life to reject her prior personas and radio dropped her. Mainstream media loves Madonna's HEART but does not understand her REBEL. Not being played non-stop on radio has not hurt Madonna. Perhaps, it even has kept the interest alive. She has a mystique that other artists cannot compete with. Her tours are legend and you see how every audience responds to her (including the BRITS performance). She is idolized and revered. She is not the flavor of the moment. Thank God for that as it allows her the platform to be more creative than all of her counterparts. She is an ICON.

If commercial success (which Madonna still has) and radio play are your only barometers then blame the fan base. Let's face it. People steal her music by the droves. There are people on this forum and others that steal from her catalog and refuse to truly support her. I have actually read countless posts relaying the idea that they like the new album almost enough to buy. Do people have to buy? No but they sure as hell do not have to steal. Why should she invest in singles and massive videos to entertain thieves? If every person that stole her demos this go around actually now bought the record...Madonna's Rebel Heart would be number one next week. Some people would rather bitch and steal. That's not Live Nation's fault. That's not Guy Oseary's fault. That's not the record industry's fault. And that's not M-s fault.

PIRACY IS WRONG AND HINDERS ART. IF YOU STEAL YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. :hornybig:

Edited by sul8323

Guest Pud Whacker

For me both LFL and GT are successes because i love them so much, after some "dry" years, but some part of me is sad that LFL and GT haven't been a decent hit. There's one thing to be played to death and public being uninterested, and another not being played AT ALL!

yes, absolutely terrible.

unfortunately, GhostTown isnt going to be any kind of hit. :sad:

At least it's a hit in our hearts. It may sound silly but that's important too. Fanbase love it

The only reason I'd like her to do a proper promo tour at this point (instead of summer festivals) is just so that she can see how much the fans are loving the music. Of course she knows, but she hasn't had much of a chance of actually seeing true fans' love in person. I think it would inspire her––and us.

Have to say agree with other fans about feeling badly about GT not being a bigger hit that it deserves, but I wonder if it's a single that can still gain traction.

I'm still hoping M performs it sometime live again on television, but not even sure if that would be smart promo or if she needs to start moving forward with the third single.

I never quite grasped why anyone thought this song would be a hit. It's a great song but a ballad from Madonna isn't going to make people look at her differently.

And Blaming piracy is silly since her streams are pitiful as well.

I never quite grasped why anyone thought this song would be a hit. It's a great song but a ballad from Madonna isn't going to make people look at her differently.

So now a ballad is a bad choice? :rotfl:

Piracy is real. Streaming also is affected. Why would anyone stream a song that was in their library? Your argument doesn't even make sense.

Piracy is real. Streaming also is affected. Why would anyone stream a song that was in their library? Your argument doesn't even make sense.

Firstly I'm not disregarding piracy as it's affecting everyone not just Madonna. Yes it's a huge problem.

I also mentioned her streams because they are really low and streams tend to reflect general interests in a artist.

And my argument totally makes sense. Is that why a popular song like Uptown Funk that pretty much everyone has bought still could get 10 - 15 million streams a week for many months?

I stream artists who's music I have also bought & I know many people who do as well.

Piracy is a factor but to pin the blame solely on it.. No!

Edited by Rebel