Madonna Instagram Thread

Camacho

Guest Pud Whacker

Here's a reasonable perspective to consider, or perhaps M just needs to use her character limit of 2200 for every single IG caption to explain the whys and wherefores so that she doesn't have to hit delete. ;)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/21/madonna-thatcher-gaffe-rebelheart-instagram

Very fascinating. It's everything we've been talking about.

This made me laugh:

"Madonna has entered social media like a drunk driver..."

:rotfl:

As the discussion here on board shows, with Madonna opinions will always be divided. We are having this discusssion in a rather civilised matter if something was the right or wrong thing to do. And we look at it from all different kinds of perspectives. And we can do so because we have years and years of experience discussing those situations. Mostly defending her because the media or the GP on social media rip her a new one because something is usually taken out of context, intentionally or unintentionally. But isn't this the exact reason why we are still here after all those years? Can you imagine any other popstar out there who could cause similar reactions? I cannot. I can enjoy the songs from time to time but as human beings they are rather bland. So I'm not surprised by the reactions of the GP or fans of those princesses. They obviously cannot cope with mindboggeling, toughtprovoking situations. Simply because they have never been challenged to do so. Therefore I would like think that peoples reactions to Madonnas posts or actions are not neccessarily hate, they are simply overwhelmed with the things they are confronted with. But since it is much easier the criticize or to keep up the status quo they decide to be offened in the name of PC. To cause such reactions over the tiniest things is what makes Madonna the most powerful of them all. Or maybe the only real artist in a bunch of wannabes. Their fear to loose their careers once they say or do something confrontational is too obvious. As others have mentioned, where are those strong female superstars, why are they silent, where is their solidarity when Madonna is attacked for being "too old" when in fact they might feel the same wrath in a few years.They enjoy their careers because Madonna paved the way for them and is once again stepping into no(wo)mansland fighting ageism. I'm sure she is happy to do so. But what happens once she decides to retire? There'll be no female superstars. Susan Sarandon got it wrong when she said "The history of women in popular music can, pretty much, be divided into before and after Madonna" I think it was correct to say "The history of women in popular music can, pretty much, be divided into the times before Madonna, the times of Madonna and the times after Madonna". May those "times after Madonna" not come so soon.

Love this comment from the Guardian article:

"A warning"? Excuse me? A warning about what? "Only say what we agree with or there'll be hell to pay?', that kind of thing? I'm about as anti-Thatcher as it gets, but seriously - fuck you, fuck your groupthink, and fuck your warnings.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Another day, another new Madonna story

Shes more relevant than ever.

If she likes her, she does. I dont care who she likes. She is Kabbalist, so do I need to be a Kabbalist too ? No !

She read the geisha book, do I need to read it too ? No !

She likes Frida Kahlo, do I need to like her ? No.

So, everyones got an opinion, and thats good, no matter you like it or not. Deal with it.

"dealing with it" (whatever that juvie lingo means) doesn't equal sharing your world view.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

"Madonna has entered social media like a drunk driver..."

well, she did hold a drink and look menacing in her first ever posting

Lmao mess. People are so sensitive nowadays with everything. Like who gives a f*ck. I don't even know who that lady she posted about is. #disnigga

:rotfl:

Lmao mess. People are so sensitive nowadays with everything. Like who gives a f*ck. I don't even know who that lady she posted about is. #disnigga

Look, this isn't the right approach either. You should google Thatcher and Homosexuality or Thatcher and Miners or Thatcher and Banks. You'll see why this post caused such an uproar. Thatcher, the politician wasn't a nice woman. Period. Of course, the assumptions that Madonna would agree or condone with any of Thatchers actions by simply postimng a quote are indeed WTF.

Oh boy, I'm so mad right now. Reading some of the comments here because of the Thatcher post on her IG. Some of you suggesting she is incapable of playing the social media game because she doesn't know about social media ettiquette. That's very interesting. I remember the mid nineties when the internet became big for the GP. There was something called Netiquette. It was meant to be something like a guideline how to behave online. It was mostly about treating other and other peoples opinions with respect. Of course that was when there were just a few forums and some chatting rooms. Most importantly it was before social media, before Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, before every blog and media outlet had comment sections under their articles. When articles on media outlets were still written by real journalists not un- or underpaid interns, who have no idea what journalism is all about or are even unable to use google to do a minium of fact check before publishing a story. www has turned a 180 and not for the better. All this social media are places of hatred, lies and despicable human behaviour. People have lost all their decency and don't care if they hurt other people. And why should they? It's all so wonderfully anonymous. It's hard to believe that this behaviour is not part of the business plans of Facebook etc. It's what social media is thriving on. A perfect place were people can live their fantasies of being powerful people and acting like ruthless leaders no one has say or control over. So why not bully and harass people. Things that are a crime in the real world but no one really cares about in the www. I guess there are terms of use on Facebook and Twitter etc. that actually forbid this kind of behaviour but do they actually enforce them? Not really. They are busy censoring titties and male to male kisses. Because those are offending and are putting people in danger. AND here we have some members who believe Madonna should censor herself and adapt to the needs of the IG community because she is at risk making a fool out of herself when posting quotes, pictures or political statements that are taken at face value because of the incapabilty of this generation to think for themselves. Everything needs to be PC, to be whitewashed, to be clean. Otherwise you are in danger to be attacked by people hiding behind aliases calling you names that makes you want to say "go wash you mouth with soap".

To be quite frankly, the only thing I disagree with Madonnas actions on IG is deleting all the "offensive" stuff when the virtual shit hits the fan. People have suggested she should listen to the social media people in her team. I believe that everytime she deleted stuff she actually listened to this team and from my perspective was ill-advised. It made her look weak and inconsistent. It was like running away. Although I unterstand that the situation is and must have been frustrating she has never been one to not take responsibilty for her actions. I'd say get away from social media completely or continue to use it they way you believe it should be used from an artists point of view but be unapologetic about it.

Before I finish my rant I would like to quote - "Fundamentalist literalism is the death of art." Madonna

You are really twisting the argument against Madonna's Instagram use into this FREE SPEECH cry for freedom as if Madonna is this poor victim of censorship, and it's not that at all.

We all know Madonna uses Instagram becuz her desire is to stay current and adapt to today's crazy medium. She has exposed her naive nature and has put her foot in her mouth multiple times over shit that wasn't even intended to stir up debate or ruckus. She has no self editing and cannot translate her intellect, good taste, or great sense of humor onto social media. Instead she appears way dumber and out of touch than she really is.

All I'm saying is that if she wants her Instagram to be as fun and as cute as she wants it to be, she's going have to start using proper grammar and stop falling right into the haters hands by posting stuff that's not even meant to be provocative, but gets her in hot water anyway becuz she's ignorant to how vicious her audience is.

There's no point in being hated or being a laughingstock if you're not in on the joke. At that point you're just ridiculous. And believe me, Madonna's Instagram has had a huge hand in the dismissive attitude ppl have of her lately. The more that is fostered, the less successful she will be and you know what that means for us.

Carry on.

So, after reading this thread, it's obvious that:

a) She has to be very, very, very careful no to offend about politicians from anglosaxon countries.

b) She is allowed to admire doubtfuly honest policians from other countries because we know ZERO about them.

Madonna, you can't admire the courage of the woman who destroyed workers right and was homophobe and misogynist, but you can admire, and even copy the style and star as the main role of a film of a woman who took part of a Goverment that promoted TORTURES to oppositors, who took part of a Government that lead the country to a ruin because spent all the money in populism and empovered the middle classes. Simply because we know nothing about it and we live happily about it and singalong to some songs that some dude composed about a cheesy image of that woman.

If she can admire the strenght and full force of Eva Peron, she can acknowledge certain terms of Thatcher. Other thing is that she's tired of controversies that aren't helping her at all and decided to stay out of it.

Some of you's need to get off social media tbh. Seriously as someone said in another thread, some of you's make this into a bigger deal than it actually is. Get a grip people GP don't give a shit about IG and Twitter! Rant over lol

So, after reading this thread, it's obvious that:

a) She has to be very, very, very careful no to offend about politicians from anglosaxon countries.

b) She is allowed to admire doubtfuly honest policians from other countries because we know ZERO about them.

Madonna, you can't admire the courage of the woman who destroyed workers right and was homophobe and misogynist, but you can admire, and even copy the style and star as the main role of a film of a woman who took part of a Goverment that promoted TORTURES to oppositors, who took part of a Government that lead the country to a ruin because spent all the money in populism and empovered the middle classes. Simply because we know nothing about it and we live happily about it and singalong to some songs that some dude composed about a cheesy image of that woman.

If she can admire the strenght and full force of Eva Peron, she can acknowledge certain terms of Thatcher. Other thing is that she's tired of controversies that aren't helping her at all and decided to stay out of it.

I agree, her respect for Perón is questionable and laughable. But then, her being an anglosaxon who knows nothing about it, we can blame that on western naivety. But Thatcher? Plus, her political outreach extended far beyond the UK, IMO:

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/poverty-matters/2013/apr/16/legacy-margaret-thatcher-neoliberalism

Thatcher was HORRID.

But she was the first woman to lead a European country. She had to endure lots of criticism for being a woman, before she got to be prime minister. I guess that's the part that fascinates Madonna. The same that she feels fascinated by Eva Peron way up, and how she had to deal with so many things until she got what she wished. Fascinated by those pioneers that became a target because they were women.

People thinking that Madonna is praising Thatcher's politics has to be kidding. Oh, and to compare Thatcher with Hitler... :lmao::lmao:

you noticed how she always get criticised? left or right? she posts a quote on IG from tatcher that she deleted right away and gets shit. she makes a movie of evita and gets shit. she calls out marine le pen and gets shit. she acts the role of evita and gets shit. she calls out bush and at the time got shit (while a few years later everyone did it)

i always feel like madonna gets the short end of the stick.

What do people here act like it was monstrous and unacceptable for a political leader to be "homophobic" in the 80's? Pretty sure it was the social norm back then?

just back then? hum

Guest Rachelle of London

Ugh I wasn't comparing thatcher to hitler. I was just saying it's odd to see a gay man say he likes thatcher because he is gay. I then compared that situation to Hitler and Jews my god.

I take it back. Thatcher was the most wonderful woman in the world, as a brit living in post thatcher era I have NO CLUE. Jeez

I'm amazed how far the press has taken this. Does anyone else's Instagram page get as much attention? As much as I don't agree with her posting it, I also don't really give a shit. She even took it down within minutes. Like with "artist rapegate" she took it back in minutes, yet the next morning we get headlines about how Madonna thinks her songs leaking is comparable to violent rape?!??

Ugh I wasn't comparing thatcher to hitler. I was just saying it's odd to see a gay man say he likes thatcher because he is gay. I then compared that situation to Hitler and Jews my god.

I take it back. Thatcher was the most wonderful woman in the world, as a brit living in post thatcher era I have NO CLUE. Jeez

Like you said, I wouldn't even bother responding. I mean Madonna once shopped in the same shoe shop as IMELDA MARCOS and people are complaining about a quote about a woman who's anti gay policies directly affected the very same 30/40 year old men that make up Madonna's fanbase? I mean what about all THOSE SHOES while people lay dying on the streets!!!!! whaaaaaa!. Ridiculous.

If Madonna is so sure of herself, why take the post down immediately? Presumably because someone advised her too. The facts are, Thatcher brought in a law called Section 28, which made it a CRIME for a teacher to even SUGGEST that homosexuality was even a viable alternative to heterosexuality and in no shape or form, normal. She also refused to lower the age of consent for gay sex from 21 to 16, making it equal for everyone. I'm actually very happy that young gay people havent had to deal with as much shit but these are the facts.