Madonna at Tidal presentation [merged]

You know, I purposefully didn't give my opinion about Tidal in the Madonna section (I did it in the General Music section) because I didn't want to seem like I was trying to rain on Madonna's parade, but now it got merged and I seem all bitter and mad at Madonna.

Is there a way I can delete my comments before everyone goes bat shit crazy on me?

so what was the response overall at your school?

People were thrilled to see Jay-Z but the consensus seems to lie more on the anti-Tidal end of things at my school, bar the business students of course.

When I see stuff like this and then see people on the charts thread talking about the GP not giving a shit about Madonna, it makes me wonder how they get to such conclusions. There is something wrong with the way her music is being promoted and distributed. We all have varying opinions on what is wrong but the one thing we agree on is that there is something wrong. Especially on RH. There are songs that if given the chance they give some of these top 10 songs, would blow up but they do not get that chance? Why? So, please, I would like to never read, The GP are not interested in M when the woman's armpit hairs makes headline news and generates tonnes of blogs with the Press wondering if it is a feminist statement or Madonna just being Madonna. Come on!

People were thrilled to see Jay-Z but the consensus seems to lie more on the anti-Tidal end of things at my school, bar the business students of course.

It will take time to change people's minds. These are the first steps.

LOOOVE the Madonna impact!! Those pictures of people signing are just hilarious! :lmao: She will be always relevant no matter what.

It will take time to change people's minds. These are the first steps.

yup, give it time. even if it fails - they tried...and maybe the next generation of artists can pick up where they left off...otherwise we won't have all these great things from our favs.

Tidal Addresses Backlash Over 'Music's 1%'

WED, 01 APRIL 2015 AT 6:30 PM

Tidal‘s chief investment officer and chief industry liaison Vania Schlogel is responding to criticism after the company’s star-studded live-stream debut earlier in the week.

Some fans have reportedly been upset that the announcement looked like a meeting of “music’s 1%,” where music’s superstars were just looking to make themselves richer by putting their music on the streaming site, which costs a certain amount of money per month.

“I would almost say it’s the reverse of that. Ok, these are established artists who care enough about the sustainability of the industry, stepping out on a limb and doing this. Of course there are going to be people who are cynical. But look, at the end of the day, if any established artist goes out and gets an endorsement deal — no one’s gonna criticize them for that because that’s how they make money. But if an established artist goes out and steps outside of the box and says, “I’m trying something different,” that invites criticism. There is some bravery for what these artists are trying to do. Its not to fill their own pockets, it’s to create a sustainable industry,” Vania told Billboard.

“By virtue of that definition, because that is our thesis, if we’re not treating music like a loss leader, then that’s good for indie artists, emerging artists, songwriters, producers. Music is a whole industry and it takes money. The reality is it takes money to create music. It doesn’t just happen for free. We want to make sure music continues to be made, that songwriters are able to actually write songs rather than having to say, “I do a 9-to-5 in New York, and don’t have time to write songs. That doesn’t make it a sustainable industry,” Vania added.

“I think everybody felt really great about the fact that we’ve launched Tidal, and now there’s so much more to do — we can do anything. Like ‘Hey, can we do this, can we do that going forward?’ Then we just stopped and realized we can do anything,” Vania continued. “What we’re promising to people is, ‘This is gonna continue to evolve,’ and we really mean that. We’re a young company, we just took control of it not that long ago, so if anyone is skeptical at all about, ‘Hey you don’t have that feature or that activity in it,’ just bear with us, hold, wait, be patient and invest that time because the artists, me, everyone want to deliver something that’s going to be incredible and continue to evolve.”

Someone needs to tag her on instagram so she can see this. She will get a good laugh just like she enjoyed the RH art from fans. We know she scrolls through her mentions on IG seeing as she posts fanart.

please don't. Roger Friedman looks like Michelle Budd compared to these assholes. you have no idea how much they hate her.

I still think that people are overreacting in such a stupid way... In the 90s the cds appeared and we payed more and nobody complained. Now people complain about everything. First world problems indeed

I still think that people are overreacting in such a stupid way... In the 90s the cds appeared and we payed more and nobody complained. Now people complain about everything. First world problems indeed

Exactly! Remember paying $20 for a CD of 12 songs? Now, $20 for a month of basically unlimited songs from an unlimited number of artists is seen as "greedy"? Seems a little......well, greedy to complain about that. It's irrelevant how much $$$ these artists already have, this is their work and they deserve to be compensated for it.

Sad to see Tidal has the same terrible artwork scans from iTunes. Bedtime Stories, The Immaculate Collection and Something To Remember look terrible. Does her label not have access to the original artworks?

Tidal Addresses Backlash Over 'Music's 1%'

WED, 01 APRIL 2015 AT 6:30 PM

Tidal‘s chief investment officer and chief industry liaison Vania Schlogel is responding to criticism after the company’s star-studded live-stream debut earlier in the week.

Some fans have reportedly been upset that the announcement looked like a meeting of “music’s 1%,” where music’s superstars were just looking to make themselves richer by putting their music on the streaming site, which costs a certain amount of money per month.

“I would almost say it’s the reverse of that. Ok, these are established artists who care enough about the sustainability of the industry, stepping out on a limb and doing this. Of course there are going to be people who are cynical. But look, at the end of the day, if any established artist goes out and gets an endorsement deal — no one’s gonna criticize them for that because that’s how they make money. But if an established artist goes out and steps outside of the box and says, “I’m trying something different,” that invites criticism. There is some bravery for what these artists are trying to do. Its not to fill their own pockets, it’s to create a sustainable industry,” Vania told Billboard.

“By virtue of that definition, because that is our thesis, if we’re not treating music like a loss leader, then that’s good for indie artists, emerging artists, songwriters, producers. Music is a whole industry and it takes money. The reality is it takes money to create music. It doesn’t just happen for free. We want to make sure music continues to be made, that songwriters are able to actually write songs rather than having to say, “I do a 9-to-5 in New York, and don’t have time to write songs. That doesn’t make it a sustainable industry,” Vania added.

“I think everybody felt really great about the fact that we’ve launched Tidal, and now there’s so much more to do — we can do anything. Like ‘Hey, can we do this, can we do that going forward?’ Then we just stopped and realized we can do anything,” Vania continued. “What we’re promising to people is, ‘This is gonna continue to evolve,’ and we really mean that. We’re a young company, we just took control of it not that long ago, so if anyone is skeptical at all about, ‘Hey you don’t have that feature or that activity in it,’ just bear with us, hold, wait, be patient and invest that time because the artists, me, everyone want to deliver something that’s going to be incredible and continue to evolve.”

This just reads like more PR guff. It doesn't explain anything about what makes Tidal different to the alternatives. What's its USP? Why should people choose it over other streaming services? What's the justification for its price-point? Tidal could be the most amazing streaming service ever, but the launch hasn't conveyed that to the public at all.

And the two minute video of the meeting that took place a while back was some of the most self-congratulatory nonsense I've ever watched. They should hire a decent PR and ad agency immediately to completely overhaul its image because, as it stands, the very people they need on side already view it as a toxic brand and will be only too happy to see it fail.

Exactly! Remember paying $20 for a CD of 12 songs? Now, $20 for a month of basically unlimited songs from an unlimited number of artists is seen as "greedy"? Seems a little......well, greedy to complain about that. It's irrelevant how much $$$ these artists already have, this is their work and they deserve to be compensated for it.

Ugh, this generation takes so many things for granted...

Whatever, in the end these artists made a smart move, the amount of money they make from Spotify and such is so little that it really doesn't matter if they quit it altogether. I guarantee you that the majority of the people moaning about the price are the people that don't pay for their music to begin with, so it's irrelevant to Tidal in the end.

If anything, they're positioning themselves as the premier streaming vehicle, a luxury brand. People that have money don't mind spending it, so they eat this up. There are enough people with enough money in this world to back up this business model.

The margins for price-oriented businesses are very low and require a huge amount of turnover to make big profits while the "luxury" business is about huge margins for little turnover. Jay-Z and Madonna know business. I can't fault them at all.