Rebel Heart Vinyl Mastering

So today I finally received my copy of the Rebel Heart vinyl, when I unboxed it I was astounded at seeing the beautiful artwork all blown up.

I'm currently on my first listen of the vinyls, and usually I notice how much better the albums sound on vinyl, however, I'm not too sure about Rebel Heart, LFL sounded great, her vocals on the verse sounded the best I've ever heard them.

However, I'm wondering if the album generally sounds quite muddy on vinyl, the kick drum sounds quite boxy on most of the songs.

Thoughts people? Maybe it's just me.

I bought the vinyl album but don't have a player for it :laugh: I guess I just like the size of the cover!

OMG WAOM is awful!! So much static distortion in her vocals in the last chorus!!

Rebel Heart sounds much better, the distorted kick seems to have gone.

I thought maybe it was my stylus but I just put Bjork Vulnicura on and that sounds beautiful.

I think the mastering of ALL "Rebel Heart" releases is really bad, but I'm quite surprised at how good the vinyl sounds. The mastering is still bad, but the pressing is rather good.

Imo it's way better than MDNA.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

OMG WAOM is awful!! So much static distortion in her vocals in the last chorus!!

I thought maybe it was my stylus but I just put Bjork Vulnicura on and that sounds beautiful.

I think the mastering of ALL "Rebel Heart" releases is really bad

yep, no dynamic range, everything is jacked up until it distorts:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Madonna&album=

yep, no dynamic range, everything is jacked up until it distorts:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Madonna&album=

Wow, that link is so interesting....

There are definitely a bunch of issues with the RH release on many a song... Completely shocks me that it can just be released like this. Does anybody give it a spin before sending it out? lol

Isn't it odd that the first side has four tracks and the last side only has two? Surely they could have spread them out more equally?

What do you mean? There's 4 sides with sides 1-3 having 5 tracks each and side 4 containing 4 tracks.

The last side on my version has 4 tracks, VVV, sex, messiah and RH. Was a bit disappointed Best Night no longer flows into VVV.

I honestly thought the vinyl would be the ultimate listening experience, the one with the dynamic range like the vinyl version of Depeche Mode's Playing the Angel, especially with the waiting period after the original release date, but instead buying vinyl has become hit or miss recently, and for such a costly price.

Guest bluejean

I think mastering for vinyl is supposed to be done differently (ie less brickwalling) but they have obviously just transferred what's on the CD onto the vinyl. Which isn't that surprising.

I think I'll buy it for the cover though.

Guest bluejean

Voices on Hard Candy vinyl is horrific. How did anyone not check and notice the distortion?

Well it's distorted on the CD to begin with :lol:

I would appreciate it if you could capture it and upload it. The title track is the biggest offender for me in terms of distortion on the CD.

I think mastering for vinyl is supposed to be done differently (ie less brickwalling) but they have obviously just transferred what's on the CD onto the vinyl. Which isn't that surprising.

When the CD format was first introduced, they did the opposite: they just copied the analog audio from the vinyl onto the CD. I think that's what they did with LAP. You would think they'd know better not to do something like that in 2015! You need to convert things properly to take advantage of the format. It's just pure laziness. And this reminds me of the MDNA Tour CDs. They just copy and pasted the DVD audio. :(

I would appreciate it if you could capture it and upload it. The title track is the biggest offender for me in terms of distortion on the CD.

When the CD format was first introduced, they did the opposite: they just copied the analog audio from the vinyl onto the CD. I think that's what they did with LAP. You would think they'd know better not to do something like that in 2015! You need to convert things properly to take advantage of the format. It's just pure laziness. And this reminds me of the MDNA Tour CDs. They just copy and pasted the DVD audio. :(

If they can't be bothered to mix/master properly for each format then why should we spend hard earned money on botched releases??

The first thing I checked on the vinyl of Rebel Heart was the distortion on "Messiah" when the 2nd chorus starts.

Of course it's still there and the whole thing is the same master as the CD album. It's sad, but I didn't expect anything different tbh.

It puzzles me how an official release can sound this bad in 2015 when you think they should have the best technology ever, especially after so many years of professional recording, mixing and mastering. But it's the opposite. I've never heard so many bad mastered albums than in recent years with almost no dynamic range, loudness and distortion. Unbelievable...

Guest Pud Whacker

So today I finally received my copy of the Rebel Heart vinyl, when I unboxed it I was astounded at seeing the beautiful artwork all blown up.

I'm currently on my first listen of the vinyls, and usually I notice how much better the albums sound on vinyl, however, I'm not too sure about Rebel Heart, LFL sounded great, her vocals on the verse sounded the best I've ever heard them.

However, I'm wondering if the album generally sounds quite muddy on vinyl, the kick drum sounds quite boxy on most of the songs.

Thoughts people? Maybe it's just me.

havent heard mine yet. will let you know. xo

The first thing I checked on the vinyl of Rebel Heart was the distortion on "Messiah" when the 2nd chorus starts.

Of course it's still there and the whole thing is the same master as the CD album. It's sad, but I didn't expect anything different tbh.

It puzzles me how an official release can sound this bad in 2015 when you think they should have the best technology ever, especially after so many years of professional recording, mixing and mastering. But it's the opposite. I've never heard so many bad mastered albums than in recent years with almost no dynamic range, loudness and distortion. Unbelievable...

Exactly my thoughts, I thought quality would improve, how does music production go from sounding fantastic to sounding awful. Hold Tight sounds even more muddy and dull than the CD version.

This. Truly tragic.

Thank God the music is awesome. Otherwise we will buying it only for graphics/collection purposes.

The last vinyl that sounded wonderful whas AL. American Life sounds soooooo much better than the CD, all the bass gives the songs a different atmosphere. My COADF vinyl doesn'`t sound good at all, maybe it was a bad one, I don't know. Hard Candy though sounds better. I didn't play much MDNA

I get my RH vinyl next week so i will listen to it, but after hearing so much distorssion in WAOM on the CD and the muddle moments of Hold Tight i was expecting it to sound better on vinyl.