Rebel Heart or Confessions on a Dance Floor?

Confessions and American Life are the two albums I never skip a track. Pure perfection!

I skip some Rebel Heart songs (the bitchy and silly songs)... But that still leaves 11 to 12 songs of perfection, the same amount as Confessions and American Life! So I would say it's a tie between these 3 albums!

Confessions + American Life + Rebel Heart = LIFE :inlove:

I agree with this. If I get rid of the tracks I do not like from RH, a solid, 12-13 track record still remains, which is equivalent to COADF/AL/Music, my favorites. So I think RH is as solid as my favorites.

Guest bluejean

Confessions.

This album is lyrically stronger and more personal, it contains some of her greatest tracks (Joan of Arc, Rebel Heart, Inside Out etc etc) but it's abit haphazard compared to Confessions. Maybe with a different sequencing it would work better. Confessions is one you want to play start to end. It's a work of art like Ray of Light.

Hard to compare these two... LOVE the variety on RH, especially those gorgeous ballads... but still like Confessions better overall, and the mixing/production/vocals on Confessions is top notch

Her vocals are deffinetly better on Rebel Heart than Confettions

Rebel Heart....Confessions was light fluff,still think so after all these years, Hung Up is a future Vogue/Like a Prayer but the rest is MEH.I agree it's more cohesive but that doesn't really mean better

From what many of already stated, i prefer COAD for it's consistent sound and production, promotion, image, etc. Something that has lacked in M's albums ever since.

REBEL HEART is still a great album...but it doenst rank in my top 5 Madonna albums, where COAD is.

Madonna hates competitions. So why do that to her own work? Each album offers something unique. Depending on one's mood the liking can change from day to day. Some periods my most favorite is Hard Candy. Some it's MDNA. I live with Madonna. I try to keep up with her. I don't live in the past or dwell on past records as some kind of salvation. So today it's most certainly Rebel Heart for me ♡!

Madonna has admitted once that her favorite album was American Life. But her work is so broad and artistically rich, it's beyond comparison.

Also what I notice is people tend to praise those Madonna albums, which they have resonated with the most. I don't feel the same about Erotica or Like a Prayer as other people do because I was too young to appreciate them when they were out. And when you listen to an album years later, it doesn't do the same kind of effect as it would if you actually lived through the era. Especially if you related with it.

So whatever album you like the most by Madonna, does not mean it's her best. It means you find yourself in it and it speaks to you in a way other albums don't. I have a friend who's most favorite album EVER is Hard Candy. Most of you would disagree. So putting Madonna's work in a box like that is silly!!

Her vocals are deffinetly better on Rebel Heart than Confettions

Well I agree, her vocals are more adventurous/varied on RH... but it's the production/mixing of them on Confessions in the midst of the music that I like better...

Rebel Heart has many, many better songs than Confessions. It has better lyrics, better melodies, and a lot more soul.

Yet there's definite merit (and a little bit of voodoo) in having tapped into the cultural zeitgeist to produce Confessions, an album that is at once old-school and futuristic, dark but celebratory, expansive but cohesive; and which packed four absolute stellar singles and a bunch of immaculate album tracks (Future Lovers, Forbidden Love, Let it Will Be, Isaac, Like it or Not).

So while I personally prefer RH at the moment, some time will have to pass before RH can truly dethrone Confessions as the better album.

Also, just the sheer amount of tracks on RH, its multiple versions, and the fact that some of the best tracks were relegated to the Super Extra Gravity Deluxe Edition make it difficult for me to say it's a better album :smile: It's a better collection of songs, but a better album? Time will tell.

Well said. I find Rebel Heart spotty. but the tracks that are good, are really wonderful as stand alone songs. But it has some stinkerst too. Comfessions is super from beginning to end. I think I only skip Isaac.

Guest Medoner

Confessions gave me new feelings that are dreamy and out of this world. RH hasnt done the same yet, but i like it a lot.

Edited by Medoner

I thought I was the only one who wasn't crazy about the tour.

Oddly, I think the older tracks fared the best. Well, I did love the opening with Future Lovers. I remember listening to it and thinking these tracks just aren't going to translate well to the stage. Even though I loved the album.

Yeah, you know how we always mock the rayoflighters? I feel like there is another group of people that have been stuck on Confessions since... well, Confessions!

I love the album. It's great, amazing production, great lyrics, some really classic and iconic moments in there. But you fuckers gotta let it go. It's not the fucking second coming.

I'm SO sick of hearing comments like "ugh Confessions was perfection, she should keep doing albums like that", or worse, after some fugly fags gasped with what they call the MASSACRE that was Hard Candy, some even said "she should've retired/she lost it after confessions"... I mean, what the fuck, gays? If you wanna keep on listening to the same electrodreamypopshit that came after Confessions, just go and buy some Kylie records. Ugh.

And I repeat: CONFESSIONS ON A DANCE FLOOR WAS PURE MAGIC... BUT YOU GOTTA LET IT GO ALREADY, JEEEEEZZZZZ!!!!!

I am so glad that she did something different after Confessions... And Now Rebel Heart is amazing, a totally different universe from the "2005 Disco Diva" .

Why should we compare them? They're both amazing and that's it.

Fucking confessioners or whatever.

^^^ yea!! Right on! I also don't get fans especially when they are stuck on Like a Prayer or Erotica. Move on!! Get with the times! Madonna surely doesn't get stuck in the past. Not saying you can't treasure her past work. Obviously we'll always have some albums as favorites. But right now when she's doing a new era, with a new album, it's silly to compare it to anythig in the past. No one knows what impact Rebel Heart will have on them when this era is finally over. It just began, really.

Btw, what makes Madonna different from other so called Legends, is that she's not just the artist of the 80s or the 90s. She's continuing her career to this day! So there is no point on worshipping her past, when she's still putting out new music. In my opinion THAT'S what makes her a true Legend. An artist doesn't get to be called that just because they did music in the 80s. It's a title that is earned when you haven't flopped or stopped!!! A Legend never stops as long as they are alive!! So get ready for more albums to come! And right now we should celebrate Rebel Heart! Thank you!

This sounds weird but I was getting a little tired of the themed albums, anyway. I just wanted an eclectic collection of good songs.

I think right now I like Rebel Heart better. I loved Confessions at the time, but I rarely listen to it anymore. Even when listening to her older stuff.

Wonder what the album would have sounded like if her original plans to have the entire thing produced by Disclosure came to fruition...

:dramatic: I would have loved it for sure! So pissed that this never happened.

Def prefer Confessions. Didn't stop listening to that for over a YEAR!!! The sound connected with me instantly and the songs are beautiful. RH is hard to be in the mood for...I don't crave listening to anything with the exception of Devil Pray, but that song has been released for some time now and my obsession has passed. Don't know what it is, just not clicking for me :)